Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
Well I'm being a poor starving student and cannont afford a belkin battery pack (saving every penny for a D70) So I was thinking that I could just make one. Well what I came up with is that if I like 6 AA betteries in a series together and then hook them up to a firewire port (which I have) and cramed it all into a box and spray painted it white for good meaure. Would this work, any advice, and/or tips would be appricated!
Thanks,
Ted

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Cannot afford to pay $70 for a Belkin Battery pack, so you think up novel ways to risk more expensive equipment.

Hmmm... I don't think I'll put up that smiley, even though it's deserved. :rolleyes:

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
If I'm correct USB outputs 5 volts and FireWire should output 8 volts. (I'm just going to assume that the iPod needs 8V to charge) But you want to use 6 AA batteries, which would output 9 volts, and that could possibly fry your iPod, so if I were you I would only use 5 batteries. (totaling 7.5V)

You should also have a good knolege of how electricity works. (AC and DC) about 8 months ago a dude in my town was killed after he tried to pick up a downed power line. (of course 9V shouldn't kill you ;) )

If you end up frying your iPod, just do the DuLL iPod trade-in program, get a Dell DJ, sell it on eBay, and buy a nice shiny new 4th gen iPod with a battery life of 12 hours!

It should work but I'm not betting any balls on it.

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
well the ipod is rated 8- 30 volts. The poweradapter puts out 12 volts. I assume that I can't hurt my iPod by to little voltage however I can by to much. Also there was some guy who made one out of 2 9 volt batteries in parrell and 2 AA in series and put it into a deck of cards. That worked however I do not like how you have to mix battery types. Also I will test the output of the battery pack with a voltage meter before I connect it. so..... I hope it works! :cool:

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Yes you can!!!

A guy has done it, I read about it in Popular science, he has a website with instruction on how to make your own batterypack. Can't remember it now, I will look it up and get back to you.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
musicpyrite said:
You should also have a good knolege of how electricity works. (AC and DC) about 8 months ago a dude in my town was killed after he tried to pick up a downed power line. (of course 9V shouldn't kill you ;) )
Actually it's not the number of volts that'll kill you, it's the number of amps. You can have 10,000 volts, and live if the amps are really small.

Colonel Panik

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
Dublin, Ireland
yippy said:
A guy has done it, I read about it in Popular science, he has a website with instruction on how to make your own batterypack. Can't remember it now, I will look it up and get back to you.

Yeah sure. Read this guy's blog. He's currently battling with an iPod that doesn't work. I wonder if he's ***ked up his iPod? Seems like a great idea, save yourself a few dollars using a DIY (non-rechargable) battery, and fry your iPod.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
relimw said:
Actually it's not the number of volts that'll kill you, it's the number of amps. You can have 10,000 volts, and live if the amps are really small.
V = I x R. Where: V = Voltage I = Current. R = Resistance
10,000 = 2A (for example) x 5,000? ( <- that should be an Omega ;))
I'm sure someone here could figure out the heat coming off that resistor ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.