Making and Taking

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Apr 24, 2014.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Heartbleed has been big news lately, and I ran across this blog post by one of the guys involved with OpenSSL.

Aside from once again cringing at the fragility of our interwebz, there's this footnote:
    When you hear some entrepreneur tell you he built his company without mooching, ask them if any part of their business relies on OpenSSL.

Also in that vein, this is good news:
    http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/04/tech-giants-chastened-by-heartbleed-finally-agree-to-fund-openssl/

2. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

It's almost like we're all just one big society or something. It is also like we have to rely on each other, and that no man is an island unto themselves.

Nah, it is all hard work and bootstraps.

3. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's as if they had become dependent upon Uncle I.T. Sugar for free security. It made them too lazy to go do the hard work of crypto. So they just mooch it instead, then complain when they don't get more free stuff. Buncha welfare queens, I tells ya.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

For a second I thought this was a Mitt Romney revival thread.

In any case, although it is difficult to rationalize a psychopathic corporation paying for free code for the common good, I am surprised that more companies don't, for their own selfish self-interest, do a better job of code review on something that is so central to their own business.

5. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

I doubt many would have the technical sophistication to ask, let alone understand any response, without very expensive consultants.

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I wonder how many of these businesses rely on Linux servers. Linux being free software that, it is estimated, would cost billions of dollar to develop to its present (admittedly, profoundly bug-ridden feature-laden) state. What a bunch of slackers.