Making cats/pets vegan now a crime?

jeyf

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2009
Ask the cat
just dont think it would understand.
Most of the peeps responding here dont own a cat.

Last edited:

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
Why would someone do that to a cat that they, ostensibly, care about? It's wrong. I don't mean to suggest that there ought to be laws against it, but it's wrong.

The Universe has spent thousands of years tuning cats' biology to do well consuming meat, not vegetation. That's what their diet has mostly been, so that's what they've evolved to be suited for.

With human evolution at least, there's been considerable variation when it comes to the sources of food we've had easy access to and therefore which our bodies have evolved to run well on. So one might make the case that at least some people, based in part on the genetic mix their ancestors have given them, do well on vegan diets. But modern cats' ancestors weren't, for the most part, gatherers or grazers or farmers. They were hunters.

As for the ethical aspect of the choice to be vegan, that's always struck me as... well, whacky. Animals, by their nature and for the most part, necessarily subsist by consuming the tissue of other living things. That's a big part of what separates them from plants. That's what the Universe (or Nature, or God, or however you conceive that which is in charge) has chosen for them.

If we perceive consuming the tissue of other living things as something that's wrong, then at least when it comes to animals we are consuming things which are themselves not innocent - they themselves consumed (or would have consumed) the tissue of other living things. If there are innocents in this context, they are the plants. Plants, by their nature, don't subsist by consuming the tissue of other living things. So how is choosing to consume them the more ethical choice? I don't mean to suggest that I think it unethical to consume plant life. But if we were going to consider consuming one of the other - animals or plant life - to be less ethical, it would seem to me it should be the latter.

That said, humans should do what they want. If they choose to be vegan, so be it. But to make that choice for a cat that you (at least should) care about? For what reason? To indulge your own sense of ethics? At the cat's expense? That just seems wrong to me. It seems arrogant.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Vegetarian cats? :confused: Not sure if serious.

Cats need a lot of protein - more so than dogs. Even indoor cats are going to run around eating insects and spiders. I'm not sure cat's protein requirement would be accommodated in a vegetarian diet, so I hope anybody contemplating this has had a long, serious discussion with their cat's vet. I am not a vet but it sounds to me like an extraordinarily bad idea. I do not oppose vegetarianism, but I do oppose malnutrition in animals we keep as pets.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Generally speaking I think people should not impress their dietary lifestyles onto anyone except themselves- i.e. children and pets. Animals likes dogs and cats are are supppsed to eat meat as their primary diet. If you don’t want to feed your animals meat maybe you shouldn’t get a carnivorous animal in the fire that place.

Should not feeding a carnivorous animal meat be considered a crime? I think that’s a bit extreme unless unless the animal is malnourished. Anyone considering this should do the proper research and consult with a vet to ensure their animal is recieving the proper diet.

Lastly, I imagine most dog and cat food that people feed their pets is made out of the left over meat bits that humans are unwilling to eat. Therefore I imagine the meat used would otherwise be thrown out.

kapolani

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
USA
Vegans are some kind of idiots.

Let's forget thousands of years of evolution and force your pet to do things that are unhealthy for it because of your 'lifestyle.'

Special idiots, for sure.

Reactions: Loki.Mephisto

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Cats are obligate carnivores, this isn't opinion or lifestyle - it's science and nature.
Without a proper source of animal based protein, cats will suffer from blindness, muscle deterioration and renal failure.

So, knowingly feeding your cat, an obligate carnivore, is abuse.
This. And this. If humans weren't around to feed cats, they sure wouldn't be making themselves broccoli soufflé. It would remain roaches and mice.

Give me a blinkin' break!

jagolden

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2002
Feel bad for the cat and its long term quality of life.
It’s proven a vegan diet will be detrimental to their health.
Abusive I feel.

Reactions: rafark

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
This. And this. If humans weren't around to feed cats, they sure wouldn't be making themselves broccoli soufflé. It would remain roaches and mice.

Give me a blinkin' break!
Right! We humans can live quite well on a vegetarian/vegan diet though we have to take care, but we can choose. Other animals can't.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Herdfan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2011
We have a cat who will literally eat a plate of canned food, walk out of the garage and immediately go find some rodent to eat. There is no way she is hungry, its just what she does.

jeyf

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2009
Feel bad for the cat and its long term quality of life.
It’s proven a vegan diet will be detrimental to their health.
Abusive I feel.
where is the proof, thought so, there is none.

do you feed your cat dry cat food from CostCo or Walmart? Likely its protein is stabilized and
-the animal that gave its all for the cat died back in 2006, all from Vietnam, brought here in a container ship
-the dead animal didnt give its all for your bag 35lb of food, just its fur, nails, teeth... powder concentrate from the bottom of the vat.
-the main ingredient in medium cost dry food is plant based.

Clearly there is enough real health related science to support a totally vegan diet with success.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing

do you feed your cat dry cat food from CostCo or Walmart? Likely its protein is stabilized and
-the animal that gave its all for the cat died back in 2006, all from Vietnam, brought here in a container ship
-the dead animal didnt give its all for your bag 35lb of food, just its fur, nails, teeth... powder concentrate from the bottom of the vat.

Clearly there is enough real health related science to support a totally vegan diet with success.
A quick search of vegan cat food brought up bunch of articles that says everything form vegan diet is "bad for cats and dogs" to "they'll live, but they won't be as healthy as meat eating dogs and cats". I suppose if people want a hairless, scrawny cat:rolleyes:, then the vegan diet is the way to go. I would go with sharks with freaking lasers, but that's just me.

If you want a real world example of what happens when you force a carnivore into an herbivore diet, do a search for "fennec fox vegan diet". Comparing a healthy Fennec fox to the one on the vegan diet is like comparing
Dr. No's cat
to
Dr. Evil's cat

kapolani

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
USA

You know how I know you're crazy?

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Dogs can be vegan just fine and some premium pet food companies like Natural Balance even make well balanced vegan formulas. Cats are a different story entirely and really shouldn't be vegan. That said, there's a lot of uninformed speculative nonsense going on in this thread.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Dogs can be vegan just fine and some premium pet food companies like Natural Balance even make well balanced vegan formulas. Cats are a different story entirely and really shouldn't be vegan. That said, there's a lot of uninformed speculative nonsense going on in this thread.
It's funny. If I as a scientist failed to provide for the dietary needs of my research animals, then I would get prosecuted. Pet owners on the other hand can just do whatever wacky thing they want.

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

:confused: Proof or a source for this?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Have you seen any study suggesting that cats can live a healthy life with a vegan diet? The prior conjecture isn't evidence. It's nonsense that you made up based loosely on what you think you read somewhere.

Reactions: decafjava

R.Perez

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It's funny. If I as a scientist failed to provide for the dietary needs of my research animals, then I would get prosecuted. Pet owners on the other hand can just do whatever wacky thing they want.
Again, you're just speculating.

So, with all of that in mind, is a vegan diet safe for a dog?

Most dogs can do quite well on a carefully designed vegan diet that meets all of their nutritional needs. As a veterinary nutritionist, I use meat-free diets quite a bit to help manage various health concerns. The challenge is that designing these diets is not the easiest thing to do. While a number of commercial vegan and vegetarian diets exist on the market for dogs, not all of them are equivalent in quality.

Source: http://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2016/07/vegan-dogs-a-healthy-lifestyle-or-going-against-nature/