Making home iMovies: 13 inch retina MCB or 15 inch retina MCB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by edavt04, May 12, 2016.

1. edavt04 macrumors newbie

Hey there!

I would like to get into editing videos (taken on iphone 6) on a beginner's level using iMovie app. I hear different people saying different things. I hear some people say 5th gen dual core (13 inch MCB) renders smoother iMovies than 4th gen i7 quad core (15 inch retina MCB).

All I want is to make entry level iMovies, without overpaying...
    Here are 2 models I was looking at on amazon (both early 2015):

Apple MacBook Pro MF840LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (256 GB, 2.7 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, 8 GB 1866 MHz LPDDR3 RAM), Silver
    VS
    Apple Macbook Pro MJLQ2LL/A 15-inch Laptop (2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor, 16GB RAM, 256 GB Hard Drive, Mac OS X)

What would you recommend?

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

You'll benefit with the 15" rMBP in two ways - first the larger screen size makes it easier to do editing. Second - the 16GB of RAM helps make editing and rendering faster.

3. edavt04 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. I don't care about the screen size, but i think u r right about the speed. I can always configure my 8 GB to 16 GB after the 90 day warranty, right?
    --- Post Merged, May 12, 2016 ---
    I was told by an Apple representative that to make iMovies, all i need is 8 GB, 16 GB will be needed for a professional program like Final Cut Pro.

4. !!! macrumors 6502

!!!

You can't upgrade the RAM on any 2015 MacBook. Buy the 16GB, it's much better than 8GB (especially for video editing).

By the way- you don't need to wait until the 90-day limited warranty. You'd still loose your one-year warranty anyway.

5. edavt04 thread starter macrumors newbie

WHAT!? I can't upgrade 2015 MCB 8 gb to 16 gb?? I thought they are configurable!! Should I get a 2014 model then?

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You can buy it with 16gb, that is configurable but all MacBooks have ram soldered to the logic board, so you are fixed with what you buy originally.

Ram hasn't been user upgradeable on any MacBook released since 2012, you are a a bit out of date.

7. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

You're about to make a very large purchase. Do a bit of research and buy responsibly.

You're looking for movie editing. That's pretty vague, but regardless, the 15" will do everything better than the 13". It benchmarks with more than double the score. Further, the 15" will allow room for growth. You may just be doing amateur edits now, but with some time you may expand into more professional editing. The 15" means you're ready for that.

I bought a 15" for $1500 a couple weeks ago. Brand new, in box, same model you're looking at. They might get updated at WWDC, but $500 off is nothing to scoff at. I'd suggest waiting until WWDC unless you can find a similar deal.

8. jerryk macrumors 68020

With any Retina macbook pro it is best to consider them non-upgradable. There are some disk upgrades, but they are limited and not cheap. The non-retina Mac Book Pros (i.e. 2012 or older) are upgradable, by replacing the disk with an SSD and replacing the memory with large modules.

9. edavt04 thread starter macrumors newbie

Where did u get a 15 inch for 1500$!?!? They start at 2000$!

10. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

eBay. There was a deal posted via 9to5toys.com, and I grabbed one. Shipped via whatever the slowest possible UPS ground is, but totally worth it.