Making 'merica Great Again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Nov 16, 2016.

1. vrDrew, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016

vrDrew macrumors 65816

Best quote, and only laugh I've had in a week.

In case you're wondering, the Gizmodo story relates to scientific findings that explain how London's Great Smog. happened. (A central event in one of Netflix' new series The Crown)

Environmental disasters, and the way that Government regulation can prevent them, is one of the reasons I eventually became a Democrat. There simply is not a "free market" mechanism to solve problems like this.

When I first moved to Wisconsin in the late 1970s, Acid Rain was a huge problem. Not just poisoning lakes and killing forests. It ate away the paint on cars parked outside. It dissolved and discolored the vinyl and fiberglass on my dad's sailboat.

But Amendments to the Clean Air Act, signed into law by President George H. W. Bush (a real Conservative, and a real patriot) required large cuts in the amount of sulfur and nitrogen in the emissions from power plants. Within a very few years, acid rain all but disappeared from our consciousness.

We've just elected a President who believes climate science is a hoax. And that the way to make America great again is by reopening West Virginia coal mines.

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I'm not sure I expect a whole lot to happen on the environmental front with Trump. I don't think I heard him say the e-word in the entire campaign. That said, I'm not convinced he will move things backwards.

I would like to see Trump better balance our investments in power generation. Focusing solely on solar and wind is not the future, finding a way to store energy is. Most of our solar panels come from China who generally has little regard for the environment. If the US is going to be buying their cheap solar panels, there needs to be regulation on buying only from companies with a high environmental standard.

Our fossil fuel infrastructure is dwindling, business economy is crashing, but it is still a vital component to our power grid. I can understand people being against coal, but natural gas is a very viable and affordable solution. Nuclear IMO is what we should be doing, that's what most people in the energy industry believe, but much society of course is not on board.

My biggest issue are the carbon offset programs. They absolve companies of being environmentally responsible while primarily funding investors, insurance companies, and organizations managing the offsets. Tons of money pours into offsets while there is zero oversight to actually see if the programs are helping the environment. Some have had inforseen negative consequences and others have turned into downright scams. If you're going to have carbon offsets then they need to ensure these programs do something.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, he's talking about seriously cutting the EPA, for one (see link).

4. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Perfect example of an Alarmist... Trump hasn't even taken office yet, but apparently the world has already been destroyed once a day every day since November 8th.

How will the sky fall tomorrow?

5. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Worry not. He has a daily, sometimes hourly, new Chicken Little thread.

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

The environmentalists will never be happy though, as that article states under Obama. It wasn't long ago they were pushing for expansion of natural gas. Now NG is awful and they won't rest until every coal, natural gas, oil, or other fossil fuel and nuclear plant is dismantled. And then others will come in and hinder the alternative options due to other environmental concerns.

The fact of the matter is the US simply cannot afford to shut off all the non-renewable plants. Firstly, we're already running at an energy deficit as is. Secondly, most people can not afford to see their energy costs skyrocket further.

The other fact of the matter is that every energy production method known to man has an environmental impact, it's unavoidable. It's not to say environmentalism is a worthless cause and should be forgotten. Energy efficiency is something that needs to progress. Many environmentalists have completely unrealistic expectations. And my greatest frustration is the fraud and waste that occurs in the name of environmentalism. I'd love to see the BS realed in.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Pretty much.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lets back up here. The natural gas expansion under the guise of "100 years of energy" touted by Obama was literally a talking point from the LNG industry. How in the holy hell can you state that "environmentalists" were calling for natural gas?

Only an idiot would think that fracking to get NG was a good idea, and it certainly wasn't from "environmentalists" that weren't in bed with the industry.

9. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you know when I realized that some sections of this country were unredeemable? That there existed a significant fraction of Americans who were not interested in science, in facts, in the basic concept of respect for their fellow citizens and the planet we all share?

When I first read about the phenomenon of Rolling Coal. People who deliberately modified their diesel pickup trucks to belch out vast quantities of black smoke.

I can certainly understand many reasons one might wish to modify one's private vehicle. To improve its performance, to personalize it. But to deliberately impair its performance, at great expense, and in the certainty that one was damaging its engine components, its performance, and its fuel economy? Simply to annoy other people and express their dislike of the same regulations that make life in this country literally possible for some three hundred million people?

That bespeaks a delusion bordering on mental illness. An arrogance and ignorance that is beyond hope. There is no reasoning with such people. There is no sitting down and hearing their "side of the story." It is impossible. They only thing such people understand is pain. The suffering, physical, financial. emotional, psychic, that comes with great loss.

Germany and Japan, in the unimaginable chaos, destruction, and suffering of WWII learned their lesson. They learned, at the cost of tens of millions of dead, the destruction of their nations treasure, the humiliation of defeat and occupation, the lessons of the fundamental wrongness of the paths of militarism and aggression. In this country, it took the Great Depression, the experience of millions of ordinary people thrown out of work, and millions more losing their homes and savings, to learn the true cost of unregulated capitalism.

Americans in the central parts of this country have, if anything, had it too easy. Protected from harm by geography and a professional and well-funded military that is without compare. By the technological marvels created by those same "elites" and the same government they now sneer at.

The only way they will learn the lesson of the fundamental wrongness of their ways and their mindset is to suffer some catastrophic loss. And I fear very much such loss will be upon them sooner than they know it. What form that loss might take I know not. But given the almost unimaginable power now concentrated in the hands of an ignorant, racist, and fraudulent tycoon, one who has surrounded himself with sycophants and ignoramuses - it is only a matter of time.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Massive government regulation can reverse climate change and prevent environmental disaster: regulate the construction of hundreds of new, greenhouse-free, clean, 6th-generation nuclear power plants.

11. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

So why, for the love of God, did you do so much to undermine the candidacy of the one person who might have stood in the way of the Republicans' efforts to destroy the environment?

For everyone else's edification and delight, here is a NASA satellite video showing thirty years of arctic sea ice destruction. If global warming really is a Chinese hoax (as trump's pick to head the EPA believe's) they sure seem to have some impressive capabilities:

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Photoshop has come a long way over the past 30 years :D

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That's an amazing quote, lol. It's that or cry. :D :oops:

14. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

FYI...You misspelled "America" in your thread title. I think we have the ability to change misspellings in titles these days as well.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Wrong two words there, and twice at that. The words are "Mitch McConnell."

16. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Yeah, its supposed to be 'Murica

17. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll go ahead and cut and paste the entire Urban Dictionary Definition:

Merica

A whole new way of saying America. As America falls into the category of a nation, Merica is the whole experience of America summed up in a stereotypical way. Eating anything deep-fried, shooting shotguns, getting so fat you attempt to use the force to levitate it off the coffee table, all compressed into one word. People often say it when they see Americans doing things only Americans can do, such as: trimming a hedge with a chainsaw, eating quadruple burgers with extra lard, and driving tractors in the middle of a freeway. It is often expressed in a proud and commonly exaggerated manor. This phrase is one to be only used when the time comes to say it, like at a eating contest or at a mud pit wrestling match. As there are so many people in America that truly express what the word is all about, there is one family that pushes it over the limit. They are commonly called the "Honey Boo Boo Family".

They are known to do the same, and even more, of the equally stupid stunts that typical rednecks would do. They are reported to relive acts of true Merican spirit, like drinking 2 liter bottles of DIET cola, driving trucks into frozen creeks, getting pointless tattoos of American birds on their backs, eating processed nacho cheese in a bacon cup, tucking their Ak47s in their pillows, ordering 27 Big Macs at McDonalds with a side salad, and so much more.

18. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

And I thought you were just trying to be disrespectful and divisive. :rolleyes:

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

These people.... I don't know. They are really getting to me.

20. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

This seems like a fitting addition for this thread:

We flipped our finger to the king of england
    Stole our country from the indians
    With god on our side and guns in our hands
    We took it for our own
    A nation dedicated to liberty
    Justice and equality
    Does it look that way to you?
    It doesn't look that way to me
    The sickest joke I know

[Chorus]
    Listen up man, I'll tell you who I am
    Just another stupid american
    You don't wanna listen
    You don't wanna understand
    So finish up your drink and go home

I come from the land of Ben Franklin
    Twain and Poe and Walt Whitman
    Otis Redding, Ellington,
    The country that I love
    But it's a land of the slaves and the ku klux klan
    Haymarket riot and the great depression
    Joe McCarthy, Vietnam
    The sickest joke I know

[Chorus]

I'm proud and ashamed
    Every fourth of july
    You got to know the truth
    Before you say that you got pride

Now the cops got tanks 'cause the kids got guns
    Shrinks pushin' pills on everyone
    Cancer from the ocean, cancer from the sun
    Straight to Hell we go

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Right Wing Conservatives know all about that don't they? :)

22. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Yeah, sure. Who's been protesting in the streets since last Wednesday? I'll give you a hint, it ain't Right Wing Conservatives.

http://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2...r-15-beaten-during-rockville-protest/slide/1/

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It really gets my goat when someone with right wing leanings lectures a disgruntled lefty on this issue, when they can't even recognize the tactic being used is sarcasm, based on distrust of motives, something else the Right knows all about. Divisive and disrespectful = the modern GOP, plus I'll add character assassination. If I have a point, it would be stated in general (not at you) to practice what you preach, don't be the pot calling the kettle black, just because it suits you in this argument, while ignoring it the rest of the time.

24. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

OK, whatever you say Mr.Disgruntled Lefty. :D