Making sense of Photos Collection/Moments

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ByronBrewer, Sep 11, 2013.

1. ByronBrewer, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

ByronBrewer macrumors newbie

Maybe I completely missed this in the beta builds but in the GM release if I delete photo(s) from my camera roll that have been uploaded to my Photo Stream they no longer display in the Photos tab (left-most tab). My understanding was that the Photos tab is supposed to be a time-based view of ALL photos on your phone (albums, camera roll, Photo Stream, etc..).

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I like to sync my iPhone w/ iPhoto and delete my imported photos from the Camera Roll to keep things tidy. I've seen the Camera Roll get corrupted when you leave too many photos in there.

I like the idea of using the Photos tab on iOS as a way to view my current Camera Roll plus the last 1000 photos in my Photo Stream but it doesn't seem to work like that any longer and I can't understand why Apple would want it to behave like this.

I've tried deleting it from the Photos tab, Albums>Camera Roll, and also by using the delete prompt you receive after doing a photo import using iPhoto and each time the photo disappears from the Photo tab as soon as it's removed from the Camera Roll.

* All references to the word 'Photo tab' above refer to the Moments/Collections/etc tab in the Photos app.

2. finalcutter macrumors newbie

What is even more maddening - if I take a photo on my iPad, it gets uploaded to the photo stream and shows up on my phone in collections. So collections is pulling from the photo stream.

But any photos I delete from phone camera roll, even though they are in photo stream, immediately get deleted from collections on phone. This works in reverse as well - if I delete the photo from camera roll on iPad, disappears from collections on iPad, but stays in collections on phone.

Doesn't seem very useful if this is the way it is meant to work.

3. funnyboy88 macrumors regular

Bumping this thread. This aggravates me as well. The Photos tab collections should include Photo Stream content so that we can empty our camera rolls. Now if I want to enjoy the Photos tab collections, I have to keep tons of pictures in the camera roll. Boooooo.

4. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Apple's current implementation is a mess. It should display photos from Photo Stream if they don't exist on the device.

5. ByronBrewer thread starter macrumors newbie

EXACTLY. If you want to keep your Camera Roll under control the only option is to pull them off via iPhoto, organize them in an album and then sync them back using the using iTunes. Which is just silly.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Just go to the Albums tab and use the iOS 6 looking UI. That's what I do.

7. ByronBrewer thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried that, deleting photos from the Camera Roll in the Albums tab removes them from Collections (even though they're still present in my Photo Stream).

8. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Why is it silly? I've been doing it that way long before iOS 7 came out, and continue to do it that way.

9. ByronBrewer thread starter macrumors newbie

Because it's extremely inefficient. I do it as well but it shouldn't require such a cumbersome process.

10. funnyboy88 macrumors regular

Agreed. A very inefficient workflow for 2013's lifestyle of multiple devices. Mac, iPhone, iPad. We are passed the point of plugging in devices manually to a computer for updates. iCloud is here to unite our devices 24/7.

11. attiki11 macrumors newbie

Found a (silly but efficient) workaround: after deleting camera roll (and hence removing pictures from "moments" - but not photostream , you have to DELETE photostream (in settings->photos) and after reactivating it and voila , all the pictures back in moments!!

Apple definetely has to do sth about it!