Making the screen bigger...add a column?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WMD, Sep 17, 2013.

1. WMD macrumors regular

Hey guys, I have a new (maybe?) idea when it comes to making the iPhone screen larger. Most things I've read suggested just scaling up the 640x1136 screen and taking the ppi hit, or doubling again to 1280x2272. Either method would change the ppi of the screen to an extent that screen elements would become smaller or larger (given no change in application settings). Apple hasn't done this before, except on the iPad Mini. So let's say that's out....

Perhaps, instead, Apple can do the same thing they did last time - increase only one dimension. They added 176 pixels to the bottom to add another row of icons with the iPhone 5. Obviously, we can't do that again - the 5 is oblong-looking as it is. But what about adding another column of icons? You could do this by adding 176*(4/3) = 235 pixels to the width, giving a resolution of 875x1136. The aspect ratio would change from 16x9 to approximately 16x12.3 or 4x3.1. Apple could then keep the same 326ppi (at what exact screen size? I don't know how to calculate that), and letterbox/pillarbox applications the same way.

I guess it would be annoying for developers, having to change the resolution again, but if people want a bigger screen, this may be necessary to do it right. It might also hinder the "one-hand" thing, but that would be true for any bigger device. And indeed, many Android flagship phones (such as the S4) have five columns of icons already.

So...thoughts? :eek:

2. Merkie macrumors 68020

Yeah, no, they aren't going to move to another aspect ratio. 16:9 is here to stay. Think adding both a row and a column to the homescreen so Apple can maintain the 16:9 ratio :) .

3. WMD thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, so 875x1312? Would need some serious pillarboxing - scaling would look like crap - but I guess that would work too. :)