making use of the new apps (or, when do you have wi-fi?)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gowanis, Jan 16, 2008.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

i'm probably going to break down and just get the new apps, but i wonder when i'll use them. i'd want to use the maps probably when i'm in my car (no wi-fi). or check e-mail when i'm on the train (no wi-fi). where will you use these apps when you're out of your house? make a pit-stop at a starbucks or a public library ?

2. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Here in the Chicagoland area, we have lots of wifi spots. Almost every single coffee shop has one, my apt complex has one. I'm on campus all the time, and we have campus-wide wifi.

Even then, With such a large population, I've been surprised to find LOTS of unencrypted residential networks. You'd be surprised how often I open my wifi tab and see a 'linksys' network! :D

3. iLoveiPod macrumors regular

kinda sounds like you answered your own question there. you can use notes whenever, but yah, youll have to be in range of wi-fi to use the other apps. (maps has a small cache you can use to hold a route)

4. beaker26 macrumors member

If I wasn't in college I wouldn't of bought the app pack, there's wifi everywhere where I go to school, even the town I live in is adopting free wifi in some areas which is nice. I just have it automatically connect to the school wifi if I'm ever in range of it. It was wonderful while working out tonight, heard the usual email noise and was able to get an email from a professor I was waiting on and quickly emailed them back. It was wonderful. The gps find me isn't working though, which is kinda a bummer. I'm not sure how wifi find me works so I might be in the wrong place for it to work or something.