Male, 6'1", Skinny, 160 mm wrist (50 mm width) -- GO WITH THE 42 mm!!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mercuric Oxide, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

I preordered the 42mm space grey last night and was super worried that it would be too large and that I would have to cancel (from the forums, it seemed like a wrist of 160 was right in between sizes).

Fast forward to today -- I had a try on appointment and got to try on nearly all of the bands.

My mouth DROPPED when I saw the 38mm -- its looks like a kid's watch from a 25 cent machine. It's much much smaller in person (I can't emphasize this enough. I, too, was skeptical of all the posters claiming such, but they're totally right).

If you're unsure of your size, definitely stop by an Apple Store to make sure you chose the right one. The photos are completely deceiving.

I was also super impressed by the sleek look of the new MacBooks. Preordered as soon as I left the store :)

2. Pooshka macrumors 65816

160mm is a perfectly normal wrist size.

150mm and lower is considered small.

3. sb22 macrumors 6502

sb22

You're entitled to your opinion and im glad you picked whats right for you, but no-ones "right"

4. Mercuric Oxide thread starter macrumors 6502

when I said "right" I was referring to the fact that the sizes appear very different in person vs photographs.

That's indisputable.

Though, I will agree that everyone has their own preferences and some may prefer the smaller version.

5. cruzmisl macrumors regular

I'm 5'11" and somewhat skinny, 160mm wrist, and I liked the 38 over the 42. 42 felt bigger than I wanted to wear.

Basically, all of these proclamations don't mean a whole lot until people get them on their wrist and see what they actually want.

I went into the store after seeing so many of these posts and worrying that the 38 was going to be TINY and the 42mm would be perfect, but I felt the opposite after trying them on. I preferred the 38.

6. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Seems to me this its much more of a style choice than a functionality argument. I got the larger size but I am a little anxious it is going to be a hulking thing on my wrist. You can only see them in person with an appointment, right?

7. cruzmisl macrumors regular

Yes, definitely style over functionality. I thought the 38mm screen was fine.

They are fitting people in for walk-in appointments if you just show up. The online appointments were all booked up so I just decided to go in, and I got to try as many as I wanted to on right at opening. If you're going in before opening, just make sure to talk to some of the Apple sales people that come out to ask you if you want to set one up.

It actually took longer for them to open their fancy drawers than it did to put on the watch.

8. AaronChicago macrumors member

I'm 6'0 male, 160lbs, 172mm wrist. 38mm looks okay to me on my wrist. I decided to go with 42mm since it wasnt much different looking, and had more screen real estate.

38mm:
    [​IMG]

9. pnewelljr macrumors member

Honestly, unless your wrists are microscopic or massive, I feel like both will look fine and it is personal taste. I have tiny wrists (for a guy), and will get the 38mm. But the 42mm by no means looked ridiculous.

10. Hummingbird12 macrumors newbie

I have 165mm wrists (but I'm a woman) and the 38mm was perfect. What I did find, however, that despite the size guide saying that S/M on Sport covers up to 180mm wrists, it only just did up on me and didn't tuck in, so I'll have to go for the M/L like a real lady...

11. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

I completely agree, the 38mm is tiny in person. Pictures misrepresent the size of these watches. I'm so happy I pre-ordered the 42mm. Seriously if you're a guy the best option is 42mm.