Malware From iPhone to Mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by John55455, Jul 26, 2013.

1. John55455 macrumors member

Hi.

I've been using a downloader app on my iPhone (not jailbroken) to dow load free music and movies from sources other than the iTunes store...so I can pretty much assume that chances our out of the hundreds of files one contains a mac malware/trojan (this may not be the case but I'm not takig any chances).

Now I realize that mac malware/trojans do not harm an iPhone. But I'm wondering if a mac trojan embedded in one of the movies for example can transfer hypothitical malware to my mac through a backup.

But please take note...I'm NOT syncing the movies onto my computer (like how you would import pictures onto your mac from an iPhone).

There going to be on the computer as part of the iTunes iPhone back up. So I can't watch them on the conputer because there bundled in the backup.

So malware/trojans be transferred to a mac from an iPhone through iTunes iPhone backs ups?

Thanks

And please excuse the grammar/misspelling which is a combinations of auto correct and trying to type on the iPhone keyboard

2. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

I'm not an expert on this, someone please corrects me if i'm wrong.

As long as you don't run those files on your Mac, you are safe, even if you transfer those files onto your Mac directly, not to mention the movies would be stored in a data file when you backup your iPhone via iTunes.

3. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

This is pretty much impossible and has certainly never been reported in the wild.

4. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I'm curious as to what app you're using that lets you download mp3 files from the internet and onto your iPhone that allows you to then play them.

Do tell tall stranger.

5. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

There's loads of them, just type "music downloader" into the App Store.