Man Arrested and Convicted for 'Sexism in a Public Place'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Populism, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Full article here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/world/europe/belgium-sexism-fine.html

This was discussed on NPR's 1A a few minutes ago. The 1A guest - not me - said that the suspect was Muslim and that this incident raises the question of Muslim integration in Europe - what to do when Muslims with deep-seated feelings about not interacting with females are forced to.

2. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

3. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Those Muslims with such deep-seated feelings probably should have taken the culture they were moving to into consideration.

In principle (from one American’s perspective), I don’t think he should have been arrested for that, but OTOH, I don’t exactly feel bad for the guy either.

4. Zenithal, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018

Zenithal macrumors 604

There's no real issue of Muslims in a western country. The issue is the insularity and lack of wanting to integrate. You see this in Europe, especially with then poor Muslims, Indians, and any other non European culture who was offered a job and a place to stay during the post war period to rebuild the country. I don't know the rate of assimilation, but I wouldn't be surprised if 50 years later, their great grandchildren are still taught not to marry a European and only their kind.

You see this divide more in the US with Hispanics. Half have fully integrated with America's melting pot of cultures and take on the American way of life, and some have been here for decades, legally or not, and have hardly assimilated.

I'd say a good portion of people in my party (GOP) are the same way. They don't care much about other cultures or wanting to explore anything outside the US and its interests. Like Democrats, Republicans can be loud-mouthed and brash. And the ones who are stick out more than the ones who don't mind exploring new ideas, places or anything are the ones people associate with either party.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Well here he could have likely been cited for resisting arrest.

6. BeeGood, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

For telling the cop to shut her mouth?

I don’t know the specifics, but I always thought resisting was either fighting, fleeing or threatening. I could very well be wrong though.

7. Zenithal macrumors 604

Depends on the cop. But I assume if he's tan enough they'd just have shot him.

8. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Shouldn't matter if the guy is Muslim or not, free speech should be free speech. As long as he doesn't threaten violence.

9. 0007776 Suspended

Threatening a police officer seems like an appropriate charge. It’s disturbing that sexism is a chargeable offense in a western democracy though. It may be offensive, but freedom of speech is essential for democracy to survive.

10. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

From the article:

"When the officer tried to stop him for questioning, he fled and officers chased him on foot, finally catching him in the middle of a local annual fair."

Never a good idea.

11. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Nope, you’re right. Not for saying, “Shut your mouth.”

That’ll do it though. Lol

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The lady has remarkable restraint I think I'd have broken his jaw so the stupid would stop flowing

13. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

“Shut your mouth” usually gets you arrested for drunk in public. How could I have forgotten!!

14. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Almost as deep-seated for our hatred for Muslims, ironically. Regardless of who this person was, you follow the law or face the consequences of said law. We have people mouthing off to cops of all colors, races and creeds here in America but it's the same for all.

15. Populism thread starter macrumors regular

Populism

Who is "our", ericgtr12?

Extra points for not answering in one short sentence.

16. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Would like to stick to the topic and not make it personal if it's all the same to you.

17. Populism thread starter macrumors regular

Populism

Agreed.

So you chose the word “our”. No one chose that for your post.

Just you.

What did you mean?

:)

We assume you won’t answer. Again.

So no worries.

:)

18. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

By our I mean many Americans who fear Muslims. Yes, this guy said rude things to a woman but so do people from every race/religion so it seems unfair to single him out just because he's a Muslim IMO. In the end he'll get busted just like any other person will/should.

19. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I’ve traveled some 400k miles in the last four years. All that visiting other countries does for me is remind me how sweet it is at home. Most countries are dumps, even some in Europe that you think wouldn’t be. It also shows me the widespread failures of liberalism which reenforces my political views.

20. Zenithal macrumors 604

I consider the south and midwest a dump and they're far from liberal.

21. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Can those racist Trump supporters be convicted of "racism in a public place"? ;)

[​IMG]

22. bandrews macrumors 6502a

You need to get better guide books.

23. Zenithal, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018

Zenithal macrumors 604

On the bright side, these people are most affected by prescription narcotic abuse. With any luck, they'll wipe themselves out and be less of a burden on society. Never mind the fact these people would have likely been exterminated in the war.

I don't have a problem with actual hard working country folks or farmers. These people, in the picture, they're lazy bastards. These people want all minorities driven out of the country. They expect to be given jobs they haven't earned through hard work. I suppose it's easy to believe the bull when you're dumb.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

When your culture and beliefs are sexist at their core it's going to be hard to assimilate.

25. Zenithal macrumors 604

Good point. In the US we never treat women in certain regions of the country as second rate. And no politician would ever try to pass laws limiting what women can do with their bodies. And no politician would ever say he expected his girlfriend to be a homemaker despite having a college education, and would never encourage his daughters to be submissive to their husbands. Yeah...