Man asked for Facebook login info during job interview

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samiwas, Feb 19, 2011.

1. samiwas Suspended

Should Employers Be Allowed to Ask for Your Facebook Login?

Wow. I usually don't think too much about employers trying to find out all they can about someone before hiring. Like I think it's stupid that a previous employer can't say anything to another employer about a prospective new-hire.

But for an employer to require your Facebook name and password so that they can go into your account? That seems really over the top. Surely, this will get struck down.

2. 184550 Guest

From the article:

Depending on the position one is applying for, I certainly don't have a problem with the practice.

3. samiwas thread starter Suspended

I can kind of understand requiring that they have access to your profile, your wall, photos, etc, by being a friend of the HR person or whatever, but not access to your actual account. To go in and read private messages? To login and possibly chat with friends of yours....that's a bit creepy. Why not let them read all your email, or have your personal mail go through them first? Or listen to your phone conversations?

Department of corrections or not...I think it's going a bit far. I'm usually not a big supporter of the whole "privacy" thing everyone whines about. Like I said above...I think all employers should be able to ask previous employers anything about a new prospective employee.

4. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

What if he didn't have a Facebook account? Would they refuse him the job then?

5. 184550 Guest

Nothing in the article suggests that occurred or occurs. The author only mentions it in the inane slippery slope arguement.

Eh, I'm sure they already do if they want to. Take for instance HTLINGUAL or Room 641A.

Then it wouldn't matter, would it?

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I kind of would say that is across the line. Way to much access to private information no employer should have access to.
    To some people that is the same as giving an employer access to your personal email account and going threw all those emails. I do know some people who use face book almost if not to that extreme.

Sorry but no just no not something that should ever be ask for.

7. redwarrior, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I would not want to work for anyone who asked for this information, nor would I want to hire employees who were willing to provide it. Neither are worthy of my time or business, much less anything resembling loyalty.

The article says that they "forced" him to provide this information. That's a joke.

I have no problem with a potential employer Googling me or looking into my social networking personality, but signing in as me is fraudulent and illegal activity. (I do realize though that if I provide my username and password I am giving them permission to sign in so they are not technically breaking the law.) What about my family and friends who associate with me there? No, this is a practice that is wrong on both sides, both on the side of the potential employer and the candidate. I think the ones that go along with this are made for each other. Department of Corrections... figures. :rolleyes:

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

On the contrary, they will fast-track him/her to senior management.

Obviously an independent thinker.

As for the original question, I believe people on Facebook frequently play with the truth.

Even so, it can be a good indication of a person's mind-set, so I say "Why not!!"

You want the job ...... comply.

9. 184550 Guest

My feelings exactly. Different jobs have different employment conditions. Don't apply for the job if you can't handle the vetting process.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Forced to give up a password? Not.
    If I was asked to cough up any personal passwords, the interview would end there

11. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I'm sorry, but where is it written that to have a job in this country, you are forced to give up ALL of your rights as a citizen?

(Then again, is it any wonder corporations are outsourcing to third-world countries?)

12. 184550 Guest

The process I referenced is one that is completely voluntary on the applicants part. IMO, that's like joining the Armed Forces and then complaining about the lifestyle changes.

Show me where it is required that a citizen become a Corrections Officer in the State of Maryland and I'll be glad to rethink my position on this issue.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not a chance in hell. If asked, I'd get up and walk out.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

So it would be ok asking you what your religion is, or asking you if you have kids, or asking you have premarital sex, asking you if you are gay or not,

Or here is a good one requiring you to hand over all your private medical information.

Guess what most of those question are ILLEGAL to ask in an interview. An employer has no right to any of that information and should not even consider asking for it. Hell would be raised if they demanded the medical information and I could think of some very loose reason for justify to ask for it.

Lines are drawn to prevent crap like this to keep from going down the slop.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, it would end up being my fault if I ever admitted to having a facebook account in the first place. Eventually, they will start snooping my ISP traffic (once IPv6 is widespread, everyone will have a static IP).

16. 184550 Guest

Reread Post #2.

Also, I'm not sure where I indicated that any of this was/ is legal. Could you point out where it is so I can fix that post?

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would think any organization that was security sensitive enough to actually need that level of vetting in hiring an employee would be capable of hacking the account and getting what they wanted without asking for a password, and would have no reservations in doing so, and would probably be protected by Homeland Security.

I would be more concerned about them asking for my MR password than a FB password anyway :eek:

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

From post #2
    From that you clearly have no issue with it and then from the post I quoted later you again did not have issue with it. You even said "do not agree do not apply"

Regardless of the position that question should NEVER and I repeated NEVER of been asked and I think it should be illegal. There are so many privacy concerned there that they even considered asking for it something is big time wrong.

Now I have no issue with someone Googling you and trying to find your public infomation. Hell if you Google my real name you would find some random singer (which I am not) and my link in profile which is legit. I try to be very careful in what can easily be access about it. My twitter account to find it requires you knowing my standard screen name and with out it you would never be able to Google it. Not that I post anything on Twitter I could care less what people see on it but still not something a employer could easily find with some major digging.

Facebook I take the time to control the public information and what pictures I am tag in.

19. 184550 Guest

The key phrase you seem to be ignoring is:

In my mind this indicates that different positions require different levels of vetting.

A grocery store bagger obviously goes through a different vetting process than a police officer than a potential CEO of a Fortune 100 company.

20. JoeG4, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011

JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

In this case, it's not sharing information that bothers me since there's nothing interesting on my Facebook page. However, I do have a problem with allowing them to masquerade as myself on the internet.

Giving someone your Facebook account or your AIM account or your forum account passwords (hell, even your World of Warcraft password if you have one), is like giving someone your cellphone and the ok to make calls and tell people that they are you.

That's totally uncalled for. And there's no way in hell I'm ever letting an employer check out my private emails. What's next? Asking how big my private parts are? Where does this sentiment come from that your employer deserves to know all kinds of ***** that they really have no business knowing.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

and I am saying no matter what the position is that is not a question that should be allowed to be ask or demanded.
    It would be like asking for private medical records for any position. Sorry not going to fly. This is like demand access to ones private lives and no one should be allowed to get access to that.

22. 184550, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011

184550 Guest

samiwas didn't seem to be able to answer or offer a rebuttal to my early question, perhaps you can;

Where in the article does it state that the Maryland Department of Corrections was, wanted or even tried to 'masquerade' around as another person or as the applicant involved?

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Ultimately, the only reasonable thing you could do is refuse. If you comply, that would suggest you are a serious security risk and should not be allowed to work in a job where security is a real concern. This was probably not a genuine request as must as a test of character.

Either way, I would be looking for some other employer.

24. 184550 Guest

Methinks you attribute too much of a certain something to the Maryland Department of Corrections.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm not on Facebook.

I'd have to tell my prospective employer that I found it a big waste of time.

I just would hope they never found out about PRSI. ;)