Man Changes Name to "They"

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/g/archive/2004/09/23/namechange.DTL

A snippet:

The former Andrew Wilson, a 43-year-old self-employed inventor, was granted legal permission last week by a circuit judge to change his name.

It's just They, no surname.

He also has changed his driver's license to reflect his new name.

They said he did it for humor to address the common reference to "they."

"'They do this,' or 'They're to blame for that.' Who is this 'they' everyone talks about? 'They' accomplish such great things. Somebody had to take responsibility," he said.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
King Cobra said:
:D

I thought of one guy wacking the other with it for a pic.
That would either take a lot of googling for the right image, or some damn fine PS work, neither of which I for one can be bothered with right now :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Now that we have a They, what we need is a Them. Just think they could become partners. :eek: :D

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
What's his wife's name..Them? This is crazy but so funny....And yeah..WHAT a tool.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Maybe he could chane his name to Supercalifragilisticexpialidosus, unless that has been done before. Or maybe he'll change his name to "Tool" next...lol

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
This reminds me of that Abbott and Costello skit "Who's on first, What's on second"

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Seems to me I read a story a long, long time ago, in which the main character was trying to track down the mysterious "they" that everyone talks about. Might've been Bradbury, Matheson, Bloch, or one of those types of writers. Anyway, he finally found "them", and "they" turned out to be some kind of weird cabal which secretly ran the world..so that when "they" say it's going to rain, why of course it does.

BTW, they say Bush is still ahead in the polls. ;)

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
Hmm, I wonder if his wife and kids have to drop their surname as well now?

You could have great fun with names, eg: giving identical twins the same name.

Or not giving a child a name, so they can choose one for themselves when they get older.

If you can remove your surname, can you remove your name entirely? :eek: The mind boggles. :)