Man charged with plotting to Kill President

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
2,702
2
"BREAKING NEWS" 23 yr old man with possible arab descent, being charged in VA this morning for plotting to kill Bush.

Probably heading for poli forum, but more to come...........

edit: Man was a high school Validictorian (sp), said he had been held and tortured in Saudi prison. Arraignment in Alexandria VA this morning.
 

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
2,702
2
apple2991 said:
They were right: heroes aren't dead.
YES, Bush is alive! :rolleyes:

edit: While not the biggest W fan, I would not wish assasination either, but then again alot of his critics are quick to hail methods they purport to abhore in the enlighted intellictual age of politics.

poli forum please, let the bottom dwellers rejoice.
 

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
1,208
4,026
PDX
You got a link Stu?

I am having trouble finding the (probable) causal link(s) here.

Man imprisoned and tortured in France. Plots assassination of Polish President. News at 11...
 

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
2,702
2
blackfox said:
You got a link Stu?

I am having trouble finding the (probable) causal link(s) here.

Man imprisoned and tortured in France. Plots assassination of Polish President. News at 11...

No, stand by, was on cnbc this morning, they are the first reporter of almost anything, mostly based on market moves. It will come out quick. I promise?
 

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
1,208
4,026
PDX
stubeeef said:
No, stand by, was on cnbc this morning, they are the first reporter of almost anything, mostly based on market moves. It will come out quick. I promise?
it's cool. I found something. It's a local CBS affiliate though...can you handle it Stu? :D
cbsNY said:
Man Charged In Alleged Bush Assassination Plot

Had Been Detained In Saudi Arabia Since 2003

Feb 22, 2005 10:55 am US/Eastern
ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) A former Virginia high school valedictorian who had been detained in Saudi Arabia as a suspected terrorist was charged Tuesday with conspiring to assassinate President Bush and with supporting the al-Qaida terrorist network.

Ahmed Omar Abu Ali, 23, a U.S. citizen, made an initial appearance Tuesday in U.S. District Court but did not enter a plea. He claimed that he was tortured while detained in Saudi Arabia since June of 2003 and offered through his lawyer to show the judge his scars.

The federal indictment said that in 2002 and 2003 Abu Ali and an unidentified co-conspirator discussed plans for Abu Ali to assassinate Bush. They discussed two scenarios, the indictment said, one in which Abu Ali “would get close enough to the president to shoot him on the street” and, alternatively, “an operation in which Abu Ali would detonate a car bomb.”

Abu Ali was picked up in Saudi Arabia while studying at a university there. His family contends that U.S. officials were behind the detention and wanted him held in Saudi Arabia so he could be tortured for information.

A lawsuit brought on their behalf in U.S. District Court in Washington seeks to compel the government to disclose what it knows about Abu Ali and his detention.

Abu Ali’s appearance in federal court here was a surprise because the government never publicly disclosed that he had left Saudi Arabia.

According to the indictment, Abu Ali obtained a religious blessing from another unidentified co-conspirator to assassinate the president.

More than 100 supporters of Abu Ali crowded the courtroom and laughed when the charge was read aloud alleging that he conspired to assassinate Bush.

When Abu Ali asked to speak, U.S. Magistrate Liam O’Grady suggested he consult with his attorney, Ashraf Nubani.

“He was tortured,” Nubani told the court. “He has the evidence on his back. He was whipped. He was handcuffed for days at a time.”

When Nubani offered to show the judge his back, O’Grady said that Abu Ali might be able to enter that as evidence on Thursday at a detention hearing.

“I can assure you you will not suffer any torture or humiliation while in the (U.S.) marshals’ custody,” O’Grady said.
Abu Ali is charged with six counts and would face a maximum of 80 years in prison if convicted.
I see the connection now. Brilliant strategies mentioned, I might add :rolleyes:
 

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
2,702
2
CNBC has always been the first reporter of breaking news, I have found, so if you hate listening to biz news then you will miss the first bite, usually.

Glad I was on again! Thanks for making me an honest poster!

edit: as long as they aren't popping champaign at the local cbs affiliate! I mean lets face it, EVERY president has people plotting, some go further than others, for everyone caught, I would venture, 100 still drewling in their basements.
 

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
My first thought when I saw this was that I hadn't seen any posts by Thomas Veil this morning... But the description above doesn't seem to fit him.

Sorry TV, but I couldn't help it. ;)
 

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
2,702
2
emw said:
My first thought when I saw this was that I hadn't seen any posts by Thomas Veil this morning... But the description above doesn't seem to fit him.

Sorry TV, but I couldn't help it. ;)
Reminds me of "you've got mail" and the missing suitor could have been the "rooftop killer". :D
 

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
1,208
4,026
PDX
emw said:
My first thought when I saw this was that I hadn't seen any posts by Thomas Veil this morning... But the description above doesn't seem to fit him.

Sorry TV, but I couldn't help it. ;)
Damn, that's cold...

Besides, TV wouldn't waste his time assassinating Bush, when he could just eviscerate him in posts to an on-line forum, full or snarky liberal wit and patriotic pathos...
 

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
1,208
4,026
PDX
stubeeef said:
Yes I am sure it has been wildly successful, well maybe at least for his mental health. But if I remember correctly, (thankfully it has been a while), I do remember some in THAT forum, if not he, advocating that sort of "intervention"
We miss you...

At least I do.

To get back on topic<ahem>, I just noticed that the original indictment is 2-3 years old. Does that mean he left to study in Saudi Arabia unaware of the indictment? To avoid it?

Also, what is the criteria where an assassination attempt is considered credible and prosecutable? I mean people joke around about such things and the methods described hardly seem thought-out or plausible.
 

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
blackfox said:
Damn, that's cold...
Nah, I was just poking some fun at him. :)

blackfox said:
Besides, TV wouldn't waste his time assassinating Bush, when he could just eviscerate him in posts to an on-line forum, full or snarky liberal wit and patriotic pathos...
And you say I was cold? :D
 

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
2,702
2
blackfox said:
what is the criteria where an assassination attempt is considered credible and prosecutable? I mean people joke around about such things and the methods described hardly seem thought-out or plausible.

Good question, jeffhatfield or another, maybe able to answer that.

edit: enjoy, gotta go fly home! yea!
 

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
blackfox said:
Also, what is the criteria where an assassination attempt is considered credible and prosecutable? I mean people joke around about such things and the methods described hardly seem thought-out or plausible.
If the Secret Service hears about it, it is credible until they prove otherwise.

They will investigate everything.

Saying thats a good idea on this forum is probably enough to get them to start pulling all web posts by you as well trying to track down your location.

Actual threats to the president will get you a sit down with 2 men in dark suits with sunglasses and earpieces. These men are lacking both necks and senses of humor. Seen it happen. That person never fell asleep at his keyboard again.
 

apple2991

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
419
0
stubeeef said:
YES, Bush is alive! :rolleyes:

edit: While not the biggest W fan, I would not wish assasination either, but then again alot of his critics are quick to hail methods they purport to abhore in the enlighted intellictual age of politics.
Contradict much?
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
Another job well done by the Secret Service, of course to them they were just doing there job. I lived through the assassination of one president, certainly don't want to see another.
 

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
2,435
5,458
OBJECTIVE reality
emw said:
My first thought when I saw this was that I hadn't seen any posts by Thomas Veil this morning... But the description above doesn't seem to fit him.

Sorry TV, but I couldn't help it. ;)
Sorry, I just got back from out of state. I was making some very important plans with a friend. Now what's this all about, again? ;) :D

Frankly, much as I detest Bush, I wouldn't assassinate him for three reasons: (1) the obvious one, my sense of morality; (2) I wouldn't waste the bullet, they're needed in Iraq; and (3) two words: "President Cheney".
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
Like bombs and guns in airports, after 9/11 they took the humor out of talking similarly about the President. They take it quite seriously now.

Used to be they made a file on you, and locked you up if the President was in town.

Now it's not so much fun for you, if you yell it out in public.
 

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
8,202
0
sitting on your shoulder
Sun Baked said:
Like bombs and guns in airports, after 9/11 they took the humor out of talking similarly about the President. They take it quite seriously now.

Used to be they made a file on you, and locked you up if the President was in town.

Now it's not so much fun for you, if you yell it out in public.
That "fun" has been gone quite some time, well before 9/11.

and TV, you forgot: 4) why use murder when humiliation is so much more fun? :D
 

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
251
0
Dallas
How nuts can people be. This guy sounded like a heroic lunatic in his own mind. What about that Anna Kournikova stalker as well! Did you read up on that story, it sounds like that guy had a looser screw than this defiant schizophrenic
 

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
3,647
661
Colly-fornia
I guess I'd be less concerned about this guy's case if the government had been right more often about the terror suspects they've arrested so far. Way to many of them have been released after months or years in jail for me to feel comfortable giving the gov't the benefit of any doubt. I sure hope they've got more on this guy than they're publicly admitting to, but as with so many others I'm worried they are bluffing or exaggerating things to help try this guy in the media.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
mactastic said:
I guess I'd be less concerned about this guy's case if the government had been right more often about the terror suspects they've arrested so far. Way to many of them have been released after months or years in jail for me to feel comfortable giving the gov't the benefit of any doubt. I sure hope they've got more on this guy than they're publicly admitting to, but as with so many others I'm worried they are bluffing or exaggerating things to help try this guy in the media.
With these types of plans, the most important thing to intervene before the crime is actually committed. In this particular case it would have mean the death of another president or the others with another possible 9/11. Many times we never even hear about the incident. There could also be valuable information that could be obtained.

I also found it very scary that the high school that he attended in Virginia was supported by the Saudi government. Teaching a radical form of Islam, beliefs of Osama bin Laden.