Man destroys new Ten Commandments statue at Arkansas Capitol

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/arkansas-ten-commandments-monument-capitol-destroyed-115448086.html
Man destroys new Ten Commandments statue at Arkansas Capitol

Newly Installed Ten Commandments Statue Smashed

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — A man yelled "Freedom!" as he crashed his vehicle into Arkansas' new Ten Commandments monument early Wednesday, nearly three years after he was arrested in the destruction of Oklahoma's monument at its state Capitol, authorities said.

The privately funded Arkansas monument had been in place outside the state Capitol in Little Rock for less than 24 hours before it was knocked from its plinth and smashed to pieces.

Michael Tate Reed, 32, of Van Buren, Arkansas, was booked in the Pulaski County jail shortly after 7:30 a.m. on preliminary charges of defacing objects of public interest, criminal trespass and first-degree criminal mischief. An arrest report lists his occupation as "unemployed/disabled."

Authorities did not know whether he had an attorney who could speak on his behalf, and a video arraignment was set for Thursday morning, a Pulaski County sheriff's spokesman said.
seems the charges are a tad much.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
I mean, vandalism is wrong, but this made me laugh: "The driver is then heard growling, "Oh my goodness. Freedom!" before accelerating into the monument."

Oh, and this is the second time this guy has done this exact same act. He wrote an apology and blamed mental health issues for the first occurrence. Would it be legal to mandate he wear a shock collar set to go off whenever he's within 10 meters of the monument's location?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Why? It sounds like he has done stuff like this in the past, if it was a first time offense then I'd say go easy, but since he is a repeat offender throw the book at him. Also I'd love to see him fined for the cost to repair or replace it, it might make him think twice before he does it again if he is still making payments on the last one.

Your right to protest ends when it involves damaging property or people.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Unemployed/disabled? If it's not a mental disability, then he's obviously cheating the system.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Unemployed/disabled? If it's not a mental disability, then he's obviously cheating the system.
"In a 2015 email to the Tulsa World , Reed apologized for wrecking Oklahoma's monument and said he suffered from mental health issues."

Edit: More info on the guy's mental state: "According to the Tulsa World, in the letter, Reed says that his psychotic breaks led to getting inspiration from a Dracula movie, thinking Michael Jackson’s spirit was in meat, believing he was the incarnation of an occult leader and attempting to contact Lucifer’s high priestess he called Gwyneth Paltrow."

Last edited:
Reactions: hulugu

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
This doesn't sound very tolerant. He does sound unstable. I didn't see the charge but assume it's felony vandalism?

Trump should schedule a dinner with the Christians, if he knows what's good for him.

Reactions: webbuzz

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
This doesn't sound very tolerant. He does sound unstable. I didn't see the charge but assume it's felony vandalism?

Trump should schedule a dinner with the Christians, if he knows what's good for him.
Someone would start a thread complaining. :mad:

Reactions: Gutwrench

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Thank goodness this was not a Muslim monument or else it would have been called racist islamiphobia.
Well Muslims are technically supposed to follow the 10 commandments, so this could be seen as islamophobic. Also, remember the 10 commandments originate from the Old Testament, which the Jews follow, so this is also antisemitic. I suppose you could call his actions anti-Abrahamic.

It goes without saying you shouldn't destroy other people's property, including the governments. I do find it a bit strange for the government to erect a religious icon. But even if you're not a religious person, the 10 commandments are, for the most part, a solid set of moral laws. Especially if you can interpret references to "God" in other meaningful ways.

If the man is mentally ill, which is very possible considering his actions and history, I hope he gets the help he needs.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
"In a 2015 email to the Tulsa World , Reed apologized for wrecking Oklahoma's monument and said he suffered from mental health issues."

Edit: More info on the guy's mental state: "According to the Tulsa World, in the letter, Reed says that his psychotic breaks led to getting inspiration from a Dracula movie, thinking Michael Jackson’s spirit was in meat, believing he was the incarnation of an occult leader and attempting to contact Lucifer’s high priestess he called Gwyneth Paltrow."
WOW!!!

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Well Muslims are technically supposed to follow the 10 commandments, so this could be seen as islamophobic. Also, remember the 10 commandments originate from the Old Testament, which the Jews follow, so this is also antisemitic. I suppose you could call his actions anti-Abrahamic.
Muslims do not follow "The Ten commandments" as they do not follow the biblical scripture, they may follow everything in those commandments but they do not follow "The Ten Commandments"

It goes without saying you shouldn't destroy other people's property, including the governments. I do find it a bit strange for the government to erect a religious icon.
Yes, I agree. The proper way to remove the statue is through the courts.

But even if you're not a religious person, the 10 commandments are, for the most part, a solid set of moral laws. Especially if you can interpret references to "God" in other meaningful ways.
I use to think that but reconsidered after actually reading them, I threw up after the reading the first 4 and even the other 6 are kinda BS if you know what the punishment for disobeying them were.

http://apatheticagnostic.com/articles/reflections/ref01/ref014d06.html

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not condoning vandalism, but religious imagery has no place on public property anyway. Keep your religion in your church/synagogue/mosque/wherever, not in government.
I agree. Government and Religion shouldn't mix. Now can you go and inform the "right" about that? :)