Man Dies in Trump Tower Fire, Trump brags about building

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Initial reports said the man was injured, and it appears Trump tweeted that before reports came out he had died. That said, fire wasn't actually out at the time of that tweet -- it was "under control" or "contained," but not out yet. Trump definitely jumped the gun in posting that tweet.

3. Lloydbm41 Suspended

Lloydbm41

This isn't something I would slam Trump for. He was praising the FDNY for their work (with a little plug for his bldg of course), but their was no ill-will or your typical Trump-blathering stupidity in the tweet. He simply tweeted before the fire was out and when it was stated there were no casualties.

You would hope he would do a follow on tweet with condolences for the lost life, but I doubt we will see that.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

It is possible Trump was unaware of the fatality. It’s definitely something worth addressing at some point though.

There does seem to be some suspicious issues in play here. The fire broke out in the unit of a bankrupt art dealer.

What’s more disgusting is the people basking in the glory of a Trump building burning, when many innocent residents and first responders lives were put at risk.

My girlfriends parents happen to have a unit at another Trump peppery in NYC... and they are strong anti-Trump supporters- though they obtained the property before his presidential run. I find it highly offensive to glorify such a dangerous situation. There has also been a lot of criticism for the building not having sprinklers, which really isn’t that uncommon for the time period of the building. I would imagine instead the building is designed to isolate fires from spreading.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Wouldn't that usually be the first thing one asks about, ie. a fire where your employees are working?

6. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

Apparently there are no sprinklers in the condos. WTF. Maybe DJT should get on that....

7. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I thought this was a requirement

8. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

This is totally in character for Trump. Keep in mind that this is a guy who bragged on 9/11 that, with the destruction of the World Trade towers, one of his buildings was now the tallest building in lower Manhattan (even though it wasn’t). He’s a narcissist without empathy. All he cares about is his own ego.

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Not that I really want to give Trump any benefit he would never give anyone else, but he commented before the fatality and thanked firefighters. While I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes me eat my words later today by saying something moronic, I don’t think this qualifies.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

What if the man caused the fire by getting drunk and dropping his cigerette?

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

According the news the victims COD is not yet known. Or he knows the victim personally. At the same time, Trump probably doesn’t want to associate his brand with death- which ultimately is probably the point. But there may be suspicious reasons as to why this fire started in the first place.

It is required on newer buildings or buildings with major renovations in NYC. Not on pre existing buildings. The costs would be astronomical to add after the fact. Residential buildings don’t have drop ceilings where they can easy add such systems. I think at the time Trump Tower was built the idea was probably more about fire containment with appropriate building materials than surpression systems.

12. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

In Asia I have seen these sprinklers around for like 4-8 years

13. SusanK macrumors 68000

Textbook classic Trump. Brag without concern for anyone/anything else. A halfway sane and normal person would inquire about fatalities or injuries. Leave the bragging for his lunch dates with Paul Ryan.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

My parents house was built in 2000 and has sprinklers in the room in the basement with the furnaces, hot water heater, and oil tanks.

The technology is definitely there, it’s just a matter of cost. As I said they’re required on new buildings and major renovations in NYC... I think I read since 1999. Maybe the technology wasn’t quite where it is today back in 1983 when TT was built.

It’s hard to retrofit sprinklers in a cost effective manner or without it looking like hack job- so obviously a luxury housing complex is going to avoid the hack job. It seems however that the fire was contained to the victims apartment, which probably means the building design worked. Sprinkler design isn’t necessarily about putting out the fire as it is preventing it from spreading until the fire department can arrive and put it out - and the last function is to reduce the smoke.

On the side I’m a partner in a residential treatment program and we had to update part of the sprinkler system when we did renovations on the building. It was pretty cheap considering the ceiling and walls were already stripped. We later had to install a chemical fire surpression system when we upgraded the kitchen to a commercial stove and oven, which ironically cost a lot more than adding sprinklers to about a 2000+ sq ft area.

The cost however was negligible compared to risks of property and life in a big fire... and the $400 fee when someone illegally “vapes” in the building and sets off the highly sensitive photoelectric smoke detectors (last year we spent around $7,000 on false alarms- ~$50 fine from the FD and $350 for the alarm company to inspect and reset the system).— :rolleyes:

15. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I have seen many of these systems in Thailand and in China. In fact the hotel I am staying at now has them too. Just saw that there are 3 of them in my room and the room is about 50 sqm. What we call or consider third world countries have them. Here is a picture of them in my hotel room.

3A66E503-7648-41E1-BE55-55B18A373057.jpeg

16. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The UK had a terrible experience when it became complacent about fire safety. I won't post the picture of Grenfell Tower again, but you would have thought that it would have concentrated the minds of those responsible for tall buildings everywhere. Much went wrong in the Grenfell tower fire, but among other things the building did not have sprinklers.

18. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

No follow-up tweet yet, but he gave his congratulations to the winner of The Masters.

I hope he at least contacted the victim's family in private, this falls on him.