Man dragged off United flight has concussion, will file suit, lawyer says

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Well it already cost United 500+ million. What's a few more million in an undisclosed settlement?
You're referring to the market capitalization? That doesn't cost a company anything. The market cap is the price the market puts on the company. It's not cash, nor is it a corporate asset. Stock prices go up and down every day, and the only people affected are shareholders. Saying that the company lost money is disingenuous.

Reactions: Dsching

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
We live in an entitled society. He was asked to leave the plane nicely. You agree when you buy a ticket you can bumped from a flight for any reason(air travel is not a Right). The airport police were called after he refused an order from flight crew and again he was nicely asked to leave the plane(there is a new video of that transaction) and he refused a lawful order from a police officer* and then he was removed from the plane. Forcefully yes, but clearly he wasn't going to go willingly.

*I do not know if they were actual police officers or just airport security. Their jackets say "Police" but I have heard they were just airport security, I have also heard they were actual police but I do not know for sure.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
We live in an entitled society. He was asked to leave the plane nicely. You agree when you buy a ticket you can bumped from a flight for any reason(air travel is not a Right). The airport police were called after he refused an order from flight crew and again he was nicely asked to leave the plane(there is a new video of that transaction) and he refused a lawful order from a police officer* and then he was removed from the plane. Forcefully yes, but clearly he wasn't going to go willingly.

*I do not know if they were actual police officers or just airport security. Their jackets say "Police" but I have heard they were just airport security, I have also heard they were actual police but I do not know for sure.
They're not actual cops http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-united-chicago-aviation-police-met-20170413-story.html

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America

Yeah. What an idiot thinking he was entitled to the flight that he paid for. What's next? People will think they're entitled to pay for hours worked or something???

Dsching

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014

He paid for his seat. When you already payed for it, airtravel is a right.

TonyC28

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Interesting. I thought those guys were Chicago PD. That might change things a little bit. But Mr. Dao knew what he was doing. He can be heard telling someone on the phone to start a lawsuit before the police ever touched him. I wonder if things like "I'd rather go to jail" and "you'll have to drag me" could be used against him in some way. Won't matter though, this will be settled and never see a judge or jury.
[doublepost=1492263674][/doublepost]
He paid for his seat. When you already payed for it, airtravel is a right.
Ugh, no it's not. It's a privelage that you are granted.

Reactions: GlenK

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
So if I pay for a service, I am not entitled to this service but at the mercy of the service provider? Are you serious?
Yes and it is completely legal, air travel has been deemed to not be a Right. The Airlines can ask anyone to give up their seat. Like it or not, you agreed to it every time you have purchased a ticket.
I agree he was treated poorly but he also shares blame for not following the orders of the flight crew.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Actually, I would like to know on what basis the "random" selector chose Dr Dao for the privilege of being removed by force form the flight. I have a horrid suspicion that many of these 'random' selections aren't terribly random at all.

And it seems that United not only failed to remove his bags at the saw time that they removed him, but then also managed to send his bags somewhere else, many many miles away.

Very foolish of United not to have raised the money they were offering to the $1,500 that they could have done. They will now end up paying quite a bit more, irrespective of how far this goes legally, or whether it is settled before it reaches court.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
So if I pay for a service, I am not entitled to this service but at the mercy of the service provider? Are you serious?
You get compensated per the contract you agreed to upon buying the tickets if you are removed from the flight for whatever reason( must ride passengers, weight restrictions, etc).

How this situation was handled was extremely poorly done, but it doesn't change the fact you can be bumped off a flight.

Actually, I would like to know on what basis the "random" selector chose Dr Dao for the privilege of being removed by force form the flight. I have a horrid suspicion that many of these 'random' selections aren't terribly random at all.
The computer selects which passengers to bump based on check in time, fare paid, frequent flyer status, if you were a standby passenger, etc.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
There's good coming out of Dr Dao's protest already. For everyone who's ever been held hostage by an airline:

I fly Delta all the time and they're always looking for gate voulunteers to be bumped in exchange for travel vouchers. They usually never need to go above $800, although there have been a few cases (usually early morning flights) where there were no takers. I'm not sure how they resolved those cases, but the fact that passengers now know they can negotiate up to $10,000 means that every delta employee is going to be working hard to prevent the need to bump passengers in the first place.

That's a win for all of us. You can thank the 69 year old guy who stood up for himself!

Reactions: SusanK

TonyC28

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Entitled. Privelaged. Allowed. Licensed. Permitted. All those words work. "Right" does not. It's a semantic debate I suppose, but so many people are saying "he had a RIGHT to be on the plane" and that is simply not true.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America

And it seems that United not only failed to remove his bags at the saw time that they removed him, but then also managed to send his bags somewhere else, many many miles away.

Very foolish of United not to have raised the money they were offering to the $1,500 that they could have done. They will now end up paying quite a bit more, irrespective of how far this goes legally, or whether it is settled before it reaches court.
I just saw this too, but people aren't really racist against Chinese people here.

Sometimes I think Europeans have this distorted view on race relations here in the states. In my travels I've actually found most other countries to be far more racist than the United States. We have problems for sure, but we don't have soldiers with rifles outside of a Jewish school like they do in Gare Du Nord (may have misspelled that).
[doublepost=1492273940][/doublepost]
A black guy following orders, which is an irrelevance in this context: I merely asked the question whether race may be a determining factor in deciding who gets to be the person who is thrown off a plane.
Well this black guy was following orders beating the guy up but he can't be racist? But everybody else is? You do realize that people other than white people can be racist, right? Have you spent much time around other races? Most of my life Ive been surrounded by either African Americans, latinos, or asians including Indians because of my profession(s).

The bottom line here is if you're going to even start down this path, then I'm going to tell you that black guy might be racist since he didn't need to abuse that Chinese guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: b0fh666

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I just saw this too, but people aren't really racist against Chinese people here.

Sometimes I think Europeans have this distorted view on race relations here in the states. In my travels I've actually found most other countries to be far more racist than the United States. We have problems for sure, but we don't have soldiers with rifles outside of a Jewish school like they do in Gare Du Nord (may have misspelled that).
[doublepost=1492273940][/doublepost]

Well this black guy was following orders beating the guy up but he can't be racist? But everybody else is? You do realize that people other than white people can be racist, right? Have you spent much time around other races? Most of my life Ive been surrounded by either African Americans, latinos, or asians including Indians because of my profession(s).

The bottom line here is if you're going to even start down this path, then I'm going to tell you that black guy might be racist since he didn't need to abuse that Chinese guy.
No need to get so defensive.

Look: I merely asked whether the algorithms - including the human ones - that decide who gets thrown off planes might have had a race dimension to them.

What criteria was used to make the decision to demand that Dr Dao be thrown off the plane? I asked whether race was a factor 1) because of the history of the US (and yes, we Europeans may well have a "distorted" view on race relations in the US, but you cannot deny that it is both something that has had an explosive history and remains very much a live issue), and 2) because of the litigious nature of US society.

If I was a lawyer and could prove race - even as a subconscious factor - in making this determination, I imagine I'd clean up in the lawsuit.

And yes, I am unusually widely travelled, and have worked with many races in a number of different continents. I am not so foolish as to believe that only whites are guilty of racism. Indeed, I know that they are not.

Nevertheless, the fact remains that whites are at the apex of the socio-economic pyramid in the US, and that this has an influence on how whites - as opposed to other races - are perceived by and interact with - other races.

The black guy - who is a low level functionary - is an irrelevance; he was doing his job.

The real question is the criteria used, and here - if I was a lawyer - I would have a discovery order out to check these lists (of who gets to be thrown off planes) and to see what patterns - if any - can be discerned from them, and if these patterns have a racial dimension.

Last edited: