Man Eludes TSA With Fake ID and Boarding Pass

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jun 30, 2011.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't know about you, but I feel so much safer since Bush foisted this TSA crap on us. If only he was wearing a diaper, we would have gotten him.

In other news, the TSA announced they will now ban fake boarding passes.

Linkhttp://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/boarding-pass-arrest-nigerian-slipped-jfk-airport-security/story?id=13963831

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't even get the point of checking boarding passes. It would make sense if boarding passes were only printed out by airport staff, and all had a standardized format and some security feature like a watermark or hologram. But, since you can print a boarding pass at home, and they all have their own designs and whatnot, you could make a legit looking boarding pass in 5 minutes in Photoshop.

3. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I was so glad when Obama, just like he did with the Bush tax cuts and the Patriot Act, got rid of the TSA.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

5. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oops, I thought I clicked Community forum.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Force of habit there? :p

7. codymac macrumors 6502

Glanced right past the Bush call out?

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Nope. Is every mention of Bush going to be a PRSI thing? Are we going to discuss how it's Bush's fault this guy used a fake/expired boarding pass to breach security? Is there some sort of religious agenda condemning Nigerians who sneak onto airplanes?

I see this as a news story. It's not political, and it's not religious, and it's not a social issue.

9. codymac macrumors 6502

Just pointing it out. I'm not particularly concerned which folder it's filed in, but then, my desk is somewhat messy.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

that or put a scanner there at security that they scan the pass and it returns good for fake. Say 30-60 mins after a flight takes off a pass no longer works and a new one is needed. Fake pass would never work.

Reason I say 30 min is to handle people who are just a little late and so they can get pass security and get put on standby.

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Because the people in here can do a better job than the TSA so it's bound to get insightful. :p

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

He was probably going around the country handing how dividends to the people who invested the company via e-mails.:p

TSA dropping the ball. Hardly news. It'd be news if they actually caught him before got on the plane or discover a terrorist plot to hide explosives in a diaper. The system is broken and needs to be fixed.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

So the TSA....Total Stupid.A.... Stops grandma at 95 years of age in a wheel chair and strips her down like she is a terrorist but then lets this Nigerian guy go walking onto a plane? What the heck is going on here? Ridiculous these govt agencies are. Pathetic.

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Come on, he had to get on the plane. He was delivering someone's millions of dollars because Dr. Mbobbitybobbitynene, King of wherever died without an heir in a car crash and stuff.

Most people in here have triple digit IQs, can read and recognize basic shapes and colors, and can exercise common sense. So yes, I'd say if the TSA were staffed by MR, we'd be doing a much better job.

15. ender land macrumors 6502a

Welcome to America I guess. People do not want to profile at airports so we have to deal with all the stupid BS like this situation and the grandmother situation.

You'd be surprised how many people miss objects like guns/knives/etc when they are doing something similar to the TSA job (identifying objects which appear in a fractionally small percentage of images).

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I have my own up close and personal take on the TSA from back when they first formed. I'm talking behind-the-scenes stuff. And you're right about us being able to do a better job.

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What I don't get is that they missed him at the checkpoint, missed it at the boarding gate, and even when it was discovered that there was something amiss on the plane, allowed the man to walk out only to try the same thing again another day.

So many people dropped the ball here. It's absolutely ridiculous.

19. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

You can't be serious

20. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

You can't be serious

21. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just think of how many times a day the ball is dropped that we never hear of.

I was flying from Denver to NY a few years ago. One of my employees made me and my friend a bagged lunch that I put in my backpack. Get to security and they pull my backpack off the belt for further inspection. They rifle through it and find a lighter.

We get to the gate and decide to split up lunch as our seats are not together. Idiot who packed lunch put dry ice in the bag. There was vapor (smoke-like) coming out of the bag. How the hell did security miss that?

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes.

Yes.

;)

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I agree, the boarding pass is easily one of the most insecure aspects of the whole TSA security theater. You can easily make one and this has been a known problem for years.

And speaking of security theater, I had an interesting incident.

Two weeks after a flight, I went to the county courthouse to pull public records. To get into the records office, you have to enter through main security, so my bag was put through the x-ray and I went through the metal detector.
    After my bag went through, one of the security guys pulls it aside and motions for me to come over. "You can't bring these in," he says pointing to two carabiners I have strapped to the outside. "You could use them as a weapon."
    "But, I just come back from a trip and the TSA didn't have a problem with them," I say.
    "We're serious around here," he responds.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Doc Martin's have killed way more people than carabiners.

"You'll have to check your Doc's at the door, sir!!" :p

That obviously goes for any green-tab work-boots too. :D

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How the hell do you use a carabiner as a weapon?

My favorite personal TSA story was at PHL a few years ago. The document checker looks at my very real Missouri drivers license and says "This looks fake!" I respond and tell him that no it isn't, so he gives it one more quick glance, and lets me through anyways. This brings up 2 questions:

1. If a bartender or grocery store cashier can be trained to accurately spot fake IDs, why can't a blue shirt?
    2. If he really did think it was fake, why on earth did he let me through?