man finds magazine withWhackey Apple concept designs from 1991 that never made it...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by marbles, Jan 29, 2009.

1. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Man some truly hideous things in there, yet pretty much on par with 91:p

2. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Saw this on TUAW..

Even Apple is allowed to have some flops I guess. Like Edison, they just found so many ways not to make a computer. Or other gadgets..

Every company did stuff like that.. even Apple isn't immune to mistakes once in a while. And you're right: They look sooooo 90s!

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

They're not flops or mistakes, they're called design exercises. How many iterations and concepts do people think Apple goes through before an actual product is released? I guarantee that for every glamour-shot mockup, there's likely dozens of rougher concepts, and thousands of sketches. It's not as if the finished product springs from the head of Jobs or Ive.

It's just like an auto show, where the concept cars have no chance of seeing the market as-is. That's the point of these; not as a "look what we almost made" but more a method to gauge reaction and test for practicality, usability, and other factors.

4. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

I think some designs look cool, especially the bike & watch type things.

Any way whats wrong with the 90's? ....excellent times , better than now IMHO , music was way better too , even more manufactured garb these days .

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

[​IMG]

What is that last thing? some sort of money printer? Currency converter? can you go to the bank and just get it loaded with a bunch of different currencies? What would prevent someone from getting it loaded, going home, cracking the thing open and stealing the money?

6. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Those concepts and many more in this book:

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detail?invid=9575461668&query=appledesign&qsort=&page=1

No, I'm not selling my copy - not even at those prices. :eek:

I read somewhere that once Steve Jobs came back to Apple, he banned "concept" products and forced the ID group to focus on products that actually had a realistic chance to ship. That, and Jobs threw out all the old prototypes because he wanted to stay focused on the future.

I really wish a revised edition of AppleDesign could be published, just to see a lot more of the Jonathan Ive-led behind the scenes stuff (the original edition cut off just before the original iMac hit). It's very unlikely to happen, though.

7. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Dunno ? looks like some form of chip an pin device to me , money printer , that'd be nice eh :)

good link , cheers :) , ....I wonder what else Mr Jobs banned ? maybe time for another helmsman , yo know , a younger more in touch kinda guy/gal he's done good but he's getting on a bit now and no matter what anyone says anyone over 50 isn't in touch * ducks and runs for cover:)

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

And no one under 50 has any sense of perspective. *stays proudly in the open* :p