Man gets ticket for flipping another driver off

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jun 28, 2011.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/264874/3/Man-cited-for-flipping-the-bird-at-another-driver

Thoughts? Free speech, or did he deserve the ticket?

This is the area I grew up in, and have probably flipped off many drivers in Ballwin over the years. I usually respect police officers and don't like it when someone says all cops are pigs, but I personally had a bad experience with Ballwin cops so that when someone says cops are pigs, I immediately think of the Ballwin PD. They are the worst and I am not surprised at all that one of their cops would do this. So I hope this guy wins his case.

2. imahawki macrumors 6502a

I'd like to think he has a first amendment right as I don't consider flipping the bird especially to a person protected inside a vehicle and as you're driving away to be "threatening" speech. I.e. it wasn't assault. And yeah, the cops are jackasses for telling the guy they were going to ticket the other vehicle but decided to go after him. Maintains my already low opinion of cops.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Deserve the ticket? Hell no. The cop should be reprimanded for being a dick.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Ask for a jury trial and take the D.A. cop to court and make him look like the fool that he is.:apple:

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I hope this guy wins. The cop is a dick, the person who did the violation walks while the guy who did nothing wrong other than show his frustration gets a ticket. :rolleyes:

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The copper was in dereliction of duty if he didnt stop the guy for blocking the intersection. Simple as that. Ticket should go to the other driver and the copper should be reprimanded. But then again that is the common sense approach and common sense is rarely used these days. Society is simply falling apart at the seams.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Road rage is a real issue. Also driving is s privilege not a right as such the first admendment does not apply.
    Mostly the guy got nailed for road rage end of story

8. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

What's the bigger crime? Entering a jammed intersection on a red light and blocking it, or flipping off the guy who does it?

This particular intersection is one of the busiest in Ballwin (mostly due to it's proximity to a Target store), along what is perhaps the busiest road in the St. Louis area. People doing stupid **** like going through a red light and blocking the way only contributes to the growing traffic problem here.

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I highly doubt it happened like the guy said it happened. This dude most likely was getting very angry, flipped him off, sped off and then was a dick to the officer. Then when his ego got a ticket he ran to the news.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Do we know if the cop did not write the guy a ticket for blocking the intersection? Considering the report lacks that little piece of information to leads me to believe that guy who blocked the intersection got a ticket as well.

Also while one guy blocked the intersection he did not do road rage. The guy who flipped the bird did do road rage.

I am also willing to bet no matter if he wins his case or not he will never do it again.

Yeah that is also pretty likely. Being a dick to a copy is a VERY and I mean a VERY quick way to turn what could of been a simple warning to a ticket.

Even if all he did was flip the bird the cop pulled him over mostly to just hand him a warning the guy is an dick to the cop. Cop ups it to a ticket.

11. imahawki macrumors 6502a

True, but he didn't get a ticket for driving, he got a ticket for flipping someone off, which, as you might easily ascertain, is not driving.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Go look up the ticket.
    It relates ONLY to cars and as such a driving violation and I would not be surprised in the least that it was a moving violation as it was for "Putting a body part out the car for something other than signalling." That is pure driving and as such applies.

13. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

It's right there in the article...

14. rhett7660, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Kind of reminds me of all the "road rage" incidents that started off with finger or two and ended with a gun shot and someone seriously hurt or two people playing chicken with each other on an open high way.

Way to generalize all cops.... Why don't you go become a reserve or something and actually see what they do. Because it is ohh so much fun to shot your mouth off sitting behind a keyboard. Maybe you should have a look here to see what cops have done to help better the communities they work with.

http://www.odmp.org/

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

So your experience. Of course you were doing absolutely nothing wrong when you came into contact with them. Yeah ok... :rolleyes:

Yes they all get a kick out of bulling people. LOL... you need to really go do some ride alongs or better yet put your "ass" on the line and go do the job and see what really happens.

16. eawmp1, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) I think the cop was ridiculous to cite the driver, but I'll bet the driver mouthed off, turing a warning into a citation.
    2) Depending how the actual ordinance is written, one COULD interpret the bird as a signal of sorts.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That ordinance, as worded, would make it a ticket able offense to keep your arm on the windowsill just cruising, how the hell did that pass? :confused:

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can see things in your post right now that raises red flags in your opinion of cops. It seems a lot like the lines around a time were I was sitting waiting to go see a consuerl and a guy was complaining about the cops. A campus police walks by on his normal rounds and the guy made a point of saying "damn pigs ... *other crap about cop..." Well that had the cop do a quick 180 and then ask some basic things on what he was doing there at the school. Guy kept going off so the cop continued and then ask for id. Guy kept going on and the next thing was the cop ask him to step outside of the office so not to bother the rest of us. It was pretty sad and the guy wondered why the cop ask him to step out side and then ask him to fill out some paper work.
    Guy was an ass and was insulting that cop right to the cop.

As for me in all the cops I have dealt with both for tickets and warnings well into double digits. 1 of them was a piece of crap and then 2nd one seems a little on a power trip but the rest always were very professional including when I was handed a ticket and I though they were just fine. Hell I joke with some of them when I got my ticket. They done things for me like help me push my disabled car out of the way and into a parking spot. An off duty help me push a friends car out of the way. Take when I got into a wreck again were pretty helpful about dealing with the thing and handled the piss off woman pretty well.
    Or you have the time I called them on a couple that was having a dosmistie dispute handled them pretty well.
    Add in the other long list of times I delt with them. Less than 10% even annoying most were pretty helpful and very poffesionall.

19. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Yep, I do that when I have the windows down. I better watch out next time I drive through Ballwin on a nice day :rolleyes:

And I argue that the middle finger is signaling. You're signaling the other driver to to **** themselves :p

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

my guess is it is pretty old and chances are only even comes up when a guy is an ass. Chances are it was just a slap on the wrist type of ticket. He could of been sited with a road rage ticket which I believe carriers a much worse level.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I really hate having all those stupid overly general laws on the books "just in case". More often then not they become the "gotcha" type when someone wants to add on because no one "respected mah authoritah!" enough.

Yes, I am bitter towards cops, I've just finished dealing with an incident over a year ago where I ended up getting in more trouble (for something I literally didn't do and the cop 100% lying on the ticket report) than a kid I know that was involved in an armed robbery and a pound of weed.

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Even we get a warning here before we get timed-out. Couldn't give this driver a please don't do that again speech?

23. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Oh God...

I fear for my financial future. This is gonna drive me to bankruptcy. Literally!

Get it? Drive?...

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really? Pardon my french but in what ****ed up PC world is flipping the bird considered road rage?

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

most areas I know of consider it in the legal ream of road rage.
    Guy 1 did something illegal but it was not road rage.
    Guy 2 his reaction to it (aka flipping the bird) is what is defined as road rage. Flipping the bird is normally the first step of road rage and it goes up from there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_rage