Man jailed for calling for an end to abuse on women in Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Now that sounds like a country that definitely belongs on the UN Human Rights Council.

3. Jess13, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016

Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Saudi Arabia, one of the world’s best countries. And by best, I mean worst.

'Rebel' Saudi Arabia woman who posted photo without head scarf is arrested

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/12/saudi-arabia-headscarf-woman-twitter-arrest

Saudi police have arrested a young woman who tweeted a picture of herself outdoors without the body-length robes and head scarf that women in the kingdom are required to wear.

A woman identified as Malak al-Shehri posted a picture of herself on Twitter in a jacket and multi-colored dress last month after announcing that she would leave her house without her abaya, a long loose-fitting robe, and headscarf.

The tweet caused a backlash with many calling for Shehri – whose first name means angel, which was also her moniker online – to be executed with the hashtag “We demand the arrest of the rebel Angel Shehri.”

https://twitter.com/dontcarebut/status/803496801378697216

s.png

Meanwhile, those who speechify on freedom and human rights, such as Obama, are helping Saudi Arabia arm terrorists to install Wahhabi / Sharia law in Syria, so women there (who are relatively free under Assad) get this same [mis]treatment by the Saudi-backed terrorist ‘freedom’ fighters.

4. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Definitely agree here. People should be allowed to wear what they want. A similar incident popped up recently in Israel for women being denied entry to work because their skirts were too short.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/w...rliament-short-skirts-protest-women.html?_r=0

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't think the Saudis have received much in the way of moral support from the Left™️. Perhaps the US could stop helping them (and Israel).
    The idea has come up before.

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Of all the incarcerated people in the world, America accounts for around 25%. There is no doubt Saudi Arabia is horrendously backward, but maybe the yanks need to ponder why they accelerated their own prison population from the 1970's dishing out whole life tariffs to kids who made silly mistakes with drugs? The difference is one wins elections and the other is an excuse to continue a war on a religion they are terrified of through poor education.

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn just can't help himself with his wording can he? :rolleyes:

8. RedOrchestra Suspended

I fail to see the correlation between the two.

9. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

not at all similar, an employer having a dress code is not the same as going to jail for showing your face. Israel is a backwards country for many reasons, but this is not an example.

If my sons teacher wants to wear a micro bikini, the school should have a means to prevent that. I know you would support the teacher but I think most people would not.

10. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Look under "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." Or, if you want to go old-school, "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

11. RedOrchestra Suspended

CUTE ... wanting to draw some symmetry between calling for the execution of a woman for not wearing a head scarf with that of an increase in the number of prison cells ... WOW.

12. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

m

We can fix that problem by just executing more people for stupid crimes without real trials like in SA.

13. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Let's start with moving violations, we all know that driving is a gateway crime./sarcasm

14. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Your religion spawned this and other attrocities around the world, own it or stop following the religion. I've heard Buddhism is relatively peaceful.

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

My religion?

16. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

How about you just exhibit some self control and not break the law? It's not a mistake, it's a felony, it's a crime.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 30, 2016 ---
    It a favorite move of the left: moral relativism.

18. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

19. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure that resident SJWs wouldn't have any problems with this, they LOVE Islam. Nothing empowers women like having to wear black trash bag in 110F heat.

20. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

The moral fundamentalism of the Right, OTOH, disappears at the first dollar sign.

21. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

It is when the car is stolen

22. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Indian men cover their hair in 110F weather. You don't think it would be racist or anti-Semitic to say that people wear trash bags? We may not agree with what others wear but each to their own,right?

23. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

This has nothing to do with Islam. Most muslims ( including myself ) despise what Saudi Arabia does. This is about Saudi culture. No Muslim country is this strict.

Even the surrounding gulf countries are not like this.

24. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Its sad when there aren't UN votes decrying sharia in the kingdom of Saud for women and LGBTQ+.

You say no muslim country is this strict but most of the gulf states support sharia law and it is spreading into the indian ocean islands and southeast Asia.

I am all about US 1st amendment protections but when it happens outside of the US I am all for human rights and the right for individual unobstructed existence.