Man openly carrying new gun in Gresham robbed by armed man

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Oct 8, 2014.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

A bad man robs a good man with a gun. I bust he was pretty embarrassed.
    http://www.kptv.com/story/26729956/man-openly-carrying-new-gun-in-gresham-robbed-by-armed-man
    A man openly carrying his new handgun was robbed on a Gresham street by a man with a gun of his own.

Police were called out to the area of 172nd and Glisan Street at 2:10 a.m. Saturday.

Investigators said the 21-year-old victim bought a handgun earlier in the day and was openly carrying it while talking to his cousin.

They said a man approached them and asked for a cigarette. Talk eventually turned to the victim's new purchase, before the robber pulled his own gun from his waistband and said, "I like your gun, give it to me," according to police.

The victim handed over his gun and the suspect ran away.

The suspect is described as a light-skinned black man, 19 to 23 years old, 6'1" with a skinny build. He had black, wavy hair and was clean cut, except for a small patch of facial hair on his chin. The man was wearing gray sweatpants, a white T-shirt and flip-flops.

The weapon he used in the robbery was described as a black gun, possibly semi-automatic. The stolen gun is a black Walther brand, model P22. It is semi-automatic and .22LR-caliber.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Never saw the point of open carry, it simply makes you a target.

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Needed a better guy with a gun to help the good guy with a gun stop the bad guy with a gun.

The suspect ran away in flip-flops :p

4. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

it is portland.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm against any kind of carry as in licensed to carry a hand gun and feel that any gun carrying should be prohibited in city limits with specific exceptions such as keeping a gun unloaded and in a case when transporting it in city limits.

I belive that those communities that allow conceal carry are trying to pull the wool over citizens eyes so they are not aware of how many individuals around them are armed. In every case I've heard of, visibly armed equates to uneasiness. Maybe we need more of that, open carry. More uneasiness could lead to more reasonable prohibitions on armed individuals.

In this case I'm certain the new owner of a hangun had a false sense of security until a savy armed individual seized the advantage to rob him. I bet there are bunches more like him.

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Bet he'd have been real surprised if the individual had a back up weapon in an ankle holster. No doubt the individual screwed up. He let his guard down and the other was able to draw a weapon out of his waistband. We all make bad decisions once in a while. He made his by failing to be aware of his surroundings.

7. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

That's precisely why I don't open carry my iPhone.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Thanks to the Find My iPhone lock most thieves know those phones are worthless if stolen.

9. Sydde, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

What exactly is the real difference between a bad guy with a gun and an idiot with a gun? Someone help me out here?

10. Happybunny, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

Happybunny macrumors 68000

The idiot is very quickly LESS one GUN, when he meets a bad guy with a GUN.:p:D:p:D

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

So now the bad guy with a gun is the bad guy with two guns and the good guy with a gun is now the good guy without a gun due to the bad guy with a gun taking the good guy with a gun's gun.

Say that 50 times real fast !

Ha !

:p

The moral of this story is if you're gonna be a good guy with a gun you better keep it hidden or be prepared to use it otherwise you're just another idiot with a gun.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

This is a part of ownership and responsibility that the gundamentalists seem to gloss over. "If someone steals my gun, it should not be my fault what they do with it." Except, if someone steals your gun, there is a good chance that was what they were after. One way to keep your gun safe is to not wave it around. The fewer people know you have guns, the better off we probably all are, which is a prime argument against open carry.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if someone steals your car/hammer/knife/thong, should you be responsible for what its done with it?

I agree with the rest.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Can we add brains to that list ?

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Sounds like a good way to get shot. I'd wager the guy pointing the gun at you can pull the trigger faster than you can lift up your pants.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You sometimes can be held responsible for what happens with your stolen car. My thong, well, you really do not want to steal that ;)

These things are false-equivalencies. They are not mentioned in the 2A.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How ****ing fearful and paranoid does one have to be to carry a backup in an ankle holster?

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

cops do it . it would be pretty stupid to open carry & carry a back up concealed.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Hey guys! I'm back! What did I miss out on?

...oh. More guns. Geez, it's like I haven't even been gone at all.

21. AppleP59 macrumors 6502

What a world.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Likely if he had tried to use it he would be dead and the criminal would still have both guns.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Nothing suspicious at all about reaching down around your ankles while someone has a gun pointed at you.

It's a perfectly natural thing to do.

:rolleyes:

24. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

To be honest I do it all the time, I get itchy on my ankles when nervous. But I doubt it's a common thing.

25. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

What? You cowboys opposed to the idea of shooting someone in the back? You would not reach for it while he's got his gun pointed at you. You reach for it after he turns around and laughs his (_!_) off after stealing your gun.

Shoot 'em in the back, man.:eek: The scum sucker deserves it for besmirching your honor. If he were a Southern Gent, he would have challenged you to a duel at 10 paces.:p