Man openly carrying new gun in Gresham robbed by armed man

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
A bad man robs a good man with a gun. I bust he was pretty embarrassed.
http://www.kptv.com/story/26729956/man-openly-carrying-new-gun-in-gresham-robbed-by-armed-man
A man openly carrying his new handgun was robbed on a Gresham street by a man with a gun of his own.

Police were called out to the area of 172nd and Glisan Street at 2:10 a.m. Saturday.

Investigators said the 21-year-old victim bought a handgun earlier in the day and was openly carrying it while talking to his cousin.

They said a man approached them and asked for a cigarette. Talk eventually turned to the victim's new purchase, before the robber pulled his own gun from his waistband and said, "I like your gun, give it to me," according to police.

The victim handed over his gun and the suspect ran away.

The suspect is described as a light-skinned black man, 19 to 23 years old, 6'1" with a skinny build. He had black, wavy hair and was clean cut, except for a small patch of facial hair on his chin. The man was wearing gray sweatpants, a white T-shirt and flip-flops.

The weapon he used in the robbery was described as a black gun, possibly semi-automatic. The stolen gun is a black Walther brand, model P22. It is semi-automatic and .22LR-caliber.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Needed a better guy with a gun to help the good guy with a gun stop the bad guy with a gun.

The suspect ran away in flip-flops :p

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm against any kind of carry as in licensed to carry a hand gun and feel that any gun carrying should be prohibited in city limits with specific exceptions such as keeping a gun unloaded and in a case when transporting it in city limits.

I belive that those communities that allow conceal carry are trying to pull the wool over citizens eyes so they are not aware of how many individuals around them are armed. In every case I've heard of, visibly armed equates to uneasiness. Maybe we need more of that, open carry. More uneasiness could lead to more reasonable prohibitions on armed individuals.

In this case I'm certain the new owner of a hangun had a false sense of security until a savy armed individual seized the advantage to rob him. I bet there are bunches more like him.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Bet he'd have been real surprised if the individual had a back up weapon in an ankle holster. No doubt the individual screwed up. He let his guard down and the other was able to draw a weapon out of his waistband. We all make bad decisions once in a while. He made his by failing to be aware of his surroundings.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
What exactly is the real difference between a bad guy with a gun and an idiot with a gun? Someone help me out here?

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
What exactly is the real difference between a bad guy with a gun and an idiot with a gun? Someone help me out here?
The idiot is very quickly LESS one GUN, when he meets a bad guy with a GUN.:p:D:p:D

Last edited:

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
So now the bad guy with a gun is the bad guy with two guns and the good guy with a gun is now the good guy without a gun due to the bad guy with a gun taking the good guy with a gun's gun.

Say that 50 times real fast !

Ha !

:p

The moral of this story is if you're gonna be a good guy with a gun you better keep it hidden or be prepared to use it otherwise you're just another idiot with a gun.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
The moral of this story is if you're gonna be a good guy with a gun you better keep it hidden or be prepared to use it otherwise you're just another idiot with a gun.
This is a part of ownership and responsibility that the gundamentalists seem to gloss over. "If someone steals my gun, it should not be my fault what they do with it." Except, if someone steals your gun, there is a good chance that was what they were after. One way to keep your gun safe is to not wave it around. The fewer people know you have guns, the better off we probably all are, which is a prime argument against open carry.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
This is a part of ownership and responsibility that the gundamentalists seem to gloss over. "If someone steals my gun, it should not be my fault what they do with it." Except, if someone steals your gun, there is a good chance that was what they were after. One way to keep your gun safe is to not wave it around. The fewer people know you have guns, the better off we probably all are, which is a prime argument against open carry.
if someone steals your car/hammer/knife/thong, should you be responsible for what its done with it?

I agree with the rest.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Bet he'd have been real surprised if the individual had a back up weapon in an ankle holster. No doubt the individual screwed up. He let his guard down and the other was able to draw a weapon out of his waistband. We all make bad decisions once in a while. He made his by failing to be aware of his surroundings.
Sounds like a good way to get shot. I'd wager the guy pointing the gun at you can pull the trigger faster than you can lift up your pants.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
if someone steals your car/hammer/knife/thong, should you be responsible for what its done with it?

I agree with the rest.
You sometimes can be held responsible for what happens with your stolen car. My thong, well, you really do not want to steal that ;)

These things are false-equivalencies. They are not mentioned in the 2A.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

How ****ing fearful and paranoid does one have to be to carry a backup in an ankle holster?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Likely if he had tried to use it he would be dead and the criminal would still have both guns.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
How ****ing fearful and paranoid does one have to be to carry a backup in an ankle holster?
Nothing suspicious at all about reaching down around your ankles while someone has a gun pointed at you.

It's a perfectly natural thing to do.

:rolleyes:

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Nothing suspicious at all about reaching down around your ankles while someone has a gun pointed at you.

It's a perfectly natural thing to do.

:rolleyes:
To be honest I do it all the time, I get itchy on my ankles when nervous. But I doubt it's a common thing.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
What? You cowboys opposed to the idea of shooting someone in the back? You would not reach for it while he's got his gun pointed at you. You reach for it after he turns around and laughs his (_!_) off after stealing your gun.

Shoot 'em in the back, man.:eek: The scum sucker deserves it for besmirching your honor. If he were a Southern Gent, he would have challenged you to a duel at 10 paces.:p