Man sentenced to life in prison after fifth DWI arrest

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 7, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Life is a bit despite my little tolerance for people driving under the influence. Sounds like he needs his license permanently pulled and some serious, long term drug/alchohol treatment.

3. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

It doesn't say in any of the articles whether or not he had a drivers license at the time of his latest arrest. I'm assuming with his history he didn't. I'd like to think there must be something other than prison for this guy, but unless there is some other way to prevent him from driving I don't know what else they could do.

4. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

Wow. He was on quite a cocktail in the last deuce. Life means what in this case in Texas?

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I can't view the video for some reason and the text is short... however with 5 DUI convictions I don't have a lot of sympathy. Maybe life is a little much, 25 years (judging by the guys mug shot) might be a life sentence anyway. I hope as part of his che'll serve on highway clean up crews and see first hand the results of such behaviour.

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

He's been CAUGHT five times. No telling how many times he's actually driven drunk. Better to take him off the road before he kills someone or an entire family.

Life in prison for drunk driving? I would have to see his history to see if anyone has been injured during his drunken escapades. Locking him away for life if he's injured someone before I can get behind. If he hasn't harmed anyone, then it's a bit excessive.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

62 years old and has already served 12 years for past convictions, he was LOADED on this one with pot/xanax & booze .

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

1. The fact that he hasn't killed anyone yet is a miracle. If someone was running around with a AR-15 shooting at random in public and missing everyone (doing it multiple times mind you) we'd have no issue with locking him up for good.

2. The guy is 62, 25yrs would put him at 87. My guess is his liver won't even make it that long, 25yrs is a life sentence all things considered.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5 convictions and who knows how many times he has driven drunk/intoxicated, I'm finding it hard to have much sympathy for this guy.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

House arrest, don't take someone's life away from them if you have other means to prevent them from being a direct danger to other's lives.

This country has an incarceration fetish.

11. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

My grandfather was killed by a drunk driver.

Despite that, I have a tiny little bit of mercy for a first time offender. But after that, they can go to hell.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

We have a dumbass epidemic.

13. MarkusL macrumors 6502

However, if he does get out at 87 he will drive worse than a drunk even if he stays sober. :eek:

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yep. Although in this case maybe weld that bracelet onto his ankle.

Yes it does. It doesn't make sense as long as privatization of prisons stays out of the picture. There are other idiocies in the system as well and some of them can distort due process. For instance country prosecutors working against a tight budget may bump the charge and hope the guy ends up in the state slam instead of county jail...

Yes well, that too is a problem.

15. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Monitored and has to take something like Antabuse for the remainder of his life?
    Unless he killed someone, life is excessive.

16. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I agree that it's to harsh but not driving drunk is pretty easy and I have two DUI's myself

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This is a waste of tax dollars. I suspect they could prevent him from driving for far less than the cost of keeping him in prison for 25 years.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

From the DMV. As a repeat offender - the charges go from misdemeanor (if no one or property was unharmed) to felony. This guy - as a member of the 5 timer club gets the potential of all the following prizes...

Felony DUI Penalties
    Typically, felony drunk driving convictions are similar to misdemeanors; however, they're much harsher versions.

Some common felony DUI penalties include:
    • Extremely high fines.
    • License suspension or revocation.
      • You'll also receive points on your driving record.
      • Your conviction could stay on your driving record for years or even forever, depending on state laws.
      • Depending on the number of DUI convictions you have, your driving privileges might never be restored.
    • Ignition interlock device.
    • Alcohol and/or drug counseling programs.
      • Some states also might require the driver to attend Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) or Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings, too.
    • Lengthy prison sentences.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just for kicks, how could they "prevent him from driving"? He has been convicted 5 times and spent 12 years in jail. Not to mention, I'm sure his license has been suspended/revoked several times as well. So what else could the government do?

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The problem is not the driving. It's the drinking. We have licences to drive cars - we should have licence to drink (which could be revoked for anti-social behaviour, drunk driving, etc.). Life sounds kinda severe, but then we'd all scream bloody murder if this guy got drunk again and killed somebody.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Don't allow him to even own a car. Arrest anyone who allows them to borrow one and impound their vehicle. They could of course keep him on house arrest with an ankle monitor. The cost of jailing someone is quite high.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Is there anything else you'd like the government to regulate us doing?

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Sounds good to me. Around where I live it seems like almost all crime is alcohol related. Paying attention to it has made me start to think that prohibition wasn't such a bad thing.

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Anyone that already has excessive DWI convictions deserves life. He simply can not be trusted and is not safe around the public.

House arrest will do nothing, but get him arrested once more(possibly for murder) when he still gets inside of a car while intoxicated, despite wearing an ankle monitor.

You can't keep guys like this on a leash. You have to lock them up. If he stays sober in prison for at least a decade, then you can talk parole or changing the actual sentence time(which is done frequently).