Man Shames Panhandlers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by giantfan1224, Dec 16, 2015.

1. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

3. giantfan1224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Initially when I read the title I expected to think of this guy as a (female cleansing product) but reading the whole thing I kind of applaud what he did.

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

If I was driving by I would give the shaming guy a buck or two. Just to be a dick.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I can't comprehend having so little to do in my life that shaming homeless people seemed like a productive or valuable use of my time.

6. giantfan1224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

They may be homeless but how much is it by choice?

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Do you know for a fact they are homeless?
    Plenty of people pan handle. Doubt they are all homeless

Anyways. Maybe the teens parents will recognize them and bring them in or make them really homeless :p

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If spare changing on the street sounds like a good option to anybody, it doesn't matter to me whether it's a purely personal choice or forced by circumstances. The only difference is that the person forced by circumstances is more likely to turn their life around if conditions fell in their favor.

Anybody interested in history should look up English Poor Laws, precursors to our modern welfare state. You'll find out that the seemingly healthy, yet idle poor have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years, and no amount of violence, punishment or coercion has solved that fact.

I believe we're looking at a problem that's baked into the human cake and a small percentage of the population simply can't be compelled to deal with the day-in, day-out work routine that you and I take for granted as a part of our existence. Society is a fairly complex, artificial system. And these people—for whatever reason—can't or won't play by the rules.

10. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Just last night I was getting gas and a soda at a gas station and this guy came up to me with this long story about needing just enough money to get across town. I wasn't really interested in his problem but I told him I would give him some money on the way out of the store(mostly just to get him off my back). I gave him a dollar on my way out, and all I can say is he looked at me like I had just kicked his dog...

Kinda pissed me off that this guy was mad at me because I only gave him a dollar.

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Panhandling should be completely illegal.

If you're caught 3 times you get shipped off to the "running man" arena.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yes. The job offer was great but once it was refused then the most sensible thing to have done was just let it go. Now this guy invests extra time and energy in behavior that's not going to repay him for the expenditure, except engrave further into his head how he feels about panhandlers. There's a point past which renting space in your head to stuff like that is just plain unhealthy.

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

What he's doing is also a form of protest. Begging gets annoying. You should see the panhandling actors playing on sympathies in Democratic Mayor DeBlasio's New York City, that has seen an explosion of panhandlers since Mayor Mike moved on. All with a cultivated sorry puss on their faces.

There's been stories documenting what a bankroll these kids can earn, who then go home to momma.

Each one with their own brand of dress, sign, or rap. The rapping ones go from subway car to subway car, where they announce their presence and give a speech that's been timed to allow a passing of the hat just before the next subway stop.

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Reminds me of this:

15. giantfan1224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I might agree but these are kids and shouldn't be written off as unable to function in established society. That only enables their behavior.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's as if he was surprised to find out that panhandlers lie.

I'm not suggesting we just throw up our hands. I think we should take steps to encourage and incentivize work, and we should try to minimize the number of people who become idle.

17. giantfan1224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Regardless of circumstance, panhandling incentivizes idleness.

18. DakotaGuy, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015

DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

He offered them work. I don't see how that is shaming. If they need money they should go work for him.

I hired a young man who was holding up a sign to help me paint my house a couple years ago. I paid him well and even put him up in my spare room for a few days then took him to the bus station so he could get a ticket. Anyhow I hope he made it in the world because he was a nice kid.

I suppose I was shaming him for demanding some work for pay. I guess I'll never do something like that again since in your world it means I'm shaming him.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

o_O Hiring a person to work for you isn't shaming them.

Did you read the OP's link? You seem to have missed a key part of the story.

20. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well if they needed money why not go work for him? That's what I'd do.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I want to sleep out in the rain, sleet, and snow, wear the same pair of underwear for a month straight, and be shunned by society at large because it's a compelling lifestyle choice.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/dec/04/homeless-man-nypd-cop-boots

Can't find the right link on the phone, the "homeles" guy there was not actually homeless. Thomas Kelly was welcomed home as well. I would imagine some jump down to rock bottom to see if they can rise from there if that makes sense.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If it's true, the guy deserves a good slap to the back of the head.

Though Thomas Kelly isn't a good example to use here, since he was schizophrenic.

24. giantfan1224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I doubt most make that conscious choice but it's an indirect one when turning down gainful employment that could change that situation.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Mental illness might be the reason why the guy who got the shoes was homeless