Man Tased For Asking Why He Was Pulled Over (ARTICLE+VIDEO)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rockthecasbah, Nov 26, 2007.

1. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Summary:
    LINK.

<rant>
    This video is disgusting, and with the seeming slew of news reports about excessive force by law enforcement officials, it really pounds home the fact that law enforcement officials possess too great of power. The officer uses an inexcusable amount of aggression to restrain the victim. Furthermore, he feels so powerful that he can completely disregard his duty under the law to read an apprehended citizen his/her rights and tell that person what he/she was charged with.

Why not take some of that testosterone into a place that could actually use it, like an inner city. It's a road in Utah for God's sake!

</rant>

2. TimJim macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't say this is 'disgusting' there are much more unjust things done every day in different parts of the world. But still as an police officer he should have done his job correctly.

I still think the taser/stun gun is a great tool for police officers though for controlling people without having to shoot them.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Some people are good at their job and some people aren't. Must of sucked to be tased though.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Agreed - this is completely unacceptable behavior. I understand that police officers routinely put their lives in jeopardy and that, in general, most are reasonable individuals.

But this particular officer deserves to lose his job. Do they forget they're being video-taped? Perhaps not, I like how he leads the guy out of the way of the camera so he can't be filmed.

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

6. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Well, that officer is definitely a loose canon. But once an officer decides to write you a ticket he's not going to change his mind and the side of the isn't the place to debate it, in my opinion. I agree that he was being excessive, but when you're asked to get out of your car by an officer, its really best not to be moving around much, unless asked to.

7. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

It wasn't that the guy was trying to change the officer's mind (i assume) but rather standing on principle of being told what he was charged with. I think he was in denial of speeding (which he was at least modestly it is safe to assume) but was more focused on the illegality/unjust behavior of the officer. He can't argue in his defense (in court or on the street) without knowing what he's being charged with!

With the plethora of examples displaying its misuse and an officer's quickness to use it, i think the taser has become less of a means of protection (for officers and bystanders) and more of a power symbol to law enforcement officials so they may parade about as they please. It's come to a point where officers are too willing to send 50,000 volts through another person, especially in non-violent situations. In cases of violence a quickness to use a taser is much more justifiable, but I'm sorry, it is completely uncalled for in non-violent situations. Behavior and obedience to an officer in cases like this it is clearly not to be used at all.

8. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I may have missed something, but it seemed to me quite obvious he was being charged for speeding :eek:

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

while the cop did go over the line. The guy was a idiot. A huge idiot. First off once you are pulled over the cop has already decided if he going to give you a warning or give you a ticket there is no getting out of it he decided to give you a ticket.

The guy then agrue with the cop over it wanting to know why he was being given a ticket for speeding. Signing the stupid ticket is only your agreement that you will contact the court not admitting guilt. That when you take it to court.

After being told to get out of the car he had a threating position and KEPT arguing with the cop and then turn around and started walking back to his car. That was A HUGE mistake. From the cop view he could of been going to his car to get a weapon (a stretch but the cop can argue on those grounds) He went against orders and was tased. Demanding to have it rights read only pissed off the cop. I might like to point out anything he said after that point well could not be used against him in court because his rights where never read to him.

Yeah the cop abused his power but the guy was an idiot and I really do not feel sorry for him he walked into that one and almost kind of deserved it. I have delt with crappy cops before who are power hungry and abuse it. NEVER ARGUE WITH THEM. Just report them to their supervisor. It kind of funny I watch a cop get canned because I and several others reported him over and over for the same abused actions.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

I suppose that's my issue - there is no allowance for people to ask questions, make statements, anything. There's an assumed "fear" of the police, even in these seemingly normal circumstances.

I'm pulled over for speeding - especially in this scenario where it appears the cop pulled over right before the speed limit sign, then immediately pulled over this guy who was apparently right behind him. How did he radar him? - and want to know my speed, and the cop can't tell me? The cop didn't ever tell him, and told him to step out of the car for not wanting to sign the ticket, which isn't legally required. Then immediately tells him to put his hands behind his back and pulls out his taser?

Please, this is a power trip plain and simple. This wasn't protection. This wasn't fear for his life, this was a guy wanting to use his taser.

Certainly police have a sometimes unenviable job - and I have plenty of in-laws that are police officers, so I understand the burden they bear - but the badge is not a license to bully about the general public.

11. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

It all seemed normal until he pulled his taser. I mean all the guy did was get out of his car and try to talk with him and then all of a sudden, he had a taser pointed at him. Even I would have gone WTF?

12. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Yes but not the degree of speeding, it's quite a difference to get a ticket for 5 mph over than it is for 20 or 30...

13. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Agreed with your points here, this was irrational. I believe his turning to go to the car was wrong, but none of the officer's actions were correct.

Seeing what a GOOD officer can do, (My school's resource officer is incredible to watch at work) I can say this officer failed, and was exuding incredible arrogance.

An interesting (unrelated) story, at our homecoming dance, they had a specific rule about how you could not get reentry to the dance after leaving. A couple of guys wanted to get back in, and, in a stupid attempt, one student tries to bribe the officer. Officer responds "Unless you can give me 6 Million dollars, and food every day, there's no way that's happening. Get lost Like I told you." Kid pulls out a $20 "Seriously officer, here's a 20" Officer goes, I told you get lost. Kid tries to push through the gate, officer throttles him on the wall, and says go, before I call for assistance.

The kids leave in their limo.

14. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

The guy is at least lucky it was caught on film, because his word would not stand up against that of an officer for one second in court. I was pulled over last February for "running a light that had been red for a long time", an obvious lie by one of the off duty officer that called me in. Thankfully the officer who pulled me over didn't see me run the light so I didn't get a ticket. As for the other cop, he needs to go back to kindergarten because he obviously doesn't know the difference between yellow and red.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

All depends on the state, whether the signature is required.

If it is just a promise to appear, then not signing could mean that you are immediately taken to jail.

Of course the officer probably could have let it go and written, "refused to sign."

Guess it all depends on how much you piss the officer off.

16. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You've obviously never been tasered, or know anyone who has. A friend of mine's dad got tasered by accident in a riot, and he said it was the most painful thing he's ever experienced by far (bearing in mind this guy was in the RAF, he's not exactly a wimp).

The officer is clearly in the wrong. He tells nothing but lies at the end and refuses to read his rights.

I don't think the man did anything wrong, at least from what I can see. His demands seem perfectly reasonable and if the officer had co-operated then he wouldn't have ended up getting tasered.

17. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

He wasn't refusing to sign though, he was refusing until he was told the speed which the officer alleges he was going...

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

the cop does not have to tell you. Plus it should be on the ticket. Other wise it will just get thrown out in court.

Moral of the story the guy was an idiot. The video pretty clearly shows he was arguing with the cop. The side of the road is not the place to argue. Sign your damn ticket and take it to court.

Yes the cop went over board but the buy was still an idiot and I do not feel sorry for him at all.

A question would be would your dads friend rather be dead from a stray shot. A taser incapacitate some one with out doing any permit (or even long term damage) After a short while everything should be back to normal. In over 99% of cases turn out after a very short time no effects beside the memory of the pain are left.

Now I think every cop needs to be train on how to use a teaser and part of that train should include them getting shot with one so they know the pain they are inducing in some one else.

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The officer told him three times to turn around and put his hands on the car. He didn't do it. If you don't agree with a ticket, go to court. When an officer tells you "get in the car" during a traffic stop, the answer is not "no".

20. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

What a prick. Does it say anywhere any identifying information about that officer? Other than a "Utah Highway Patrolman"? At the least he should be fired, and should have criminal charges filed against him. He did several illegal things, unjustified tasering, not following tasering procedure, not reading him his rights, lying to the other officer. What a complete tiny-headed douche. The wife should've backed up and made him a paraplegic.

A taser is a gun replacement, not a simple restraining device.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Tasers are NOT gun replacements. I see them more as a replacement for batons. Would you rather be hit with a baton or tasered. Personally I am with Taser. The Baton is not as effect at stopping some one and it cause more lasting damage.

Tasers do not replace guns but a step between gun and no gun that used to not be there.

Now the artical is not up yet but in my hometown over thanksgiving the police had to deal with a shooting. I watch 4 cop cars go flying 60+ though a 30 with sirens blasting. Now the guy was taken down with a tazer. Nice thing about taser in some thing like that is they could use it more with out having to give warning distract the guy with the gun and taser him.

Now are they getting over used more than likely but taser I think should be treated like the baton. If the baton would be the weapon of choice the taser is the way to go. Remember cops are always allowed to one up the other person. If they come at them with Fist the taser or baton is the first choice of a weapon. If they come at some one with a hand held weapon then taser can be the alternative to go to the gun as well because with out the taser the only other choice was the gun baton does not cut it there. Taser have a wider range of use.

I just find it annoying how people love to bash the police but refuse to seem to praise them on putting there lives on the line in a very high stressed job. Now there are some bad cops but most cops are good cops and deserve our respect.

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

a taser is a torturing device which should never be put in the hands of people that would naturally tend to abuse it.

23. mac-er macrumors 65816

The guy was wrong.

You don't have to be read Miranda rights to be arrested. You only have to be read Miranda rights if you are going to be asked incriminating questions after arrest.

If you're just asked basic demographic questions or just arrested, you don't need to be read Miranda.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And the idiot still admits to driving 68 mph right up to the sign. :rolleyes:

It isn't the answers to the questions that will nail him for the lawsuit, and the speeding ticket -- it'll be his own admissions in public.

And that he refused to sign until he saw the sign ... well I'm sure that he can see the sign in the video.

25. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

I have several friends in law enforcement... everyday they set around and talk about what will be their trigger point to giving people tickets. Some days it is 5 miles over, others 10...etc.

Cops play God, plain and simple. I love seeing cops parked in the median of a road or setting somewhere where the rest of us would be given a ticket. I call in and tell their supervisor to order them to move. Cops always find ways to bend the rules to "uphold" justice. If you can't defend the law within the boundary of the law, then the law should not exist.

Obviously the guy in the video was a idiot, but the cop did not have to taser him. I can assure you this cops is going to lose his job over this. The guy was not obeying, but was not showing signs of aggression or a threat to the cop, himself, or anyone else.

In the end, there is no need for traffic cops....ever. Technology can replace them. I would rather get an email from a police server with a fine then deal with an armed tax in uniform.