man the value of ipad 1 is even more hosed now

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Acorn, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

ive had an ipad 1 for awhile now. its a 32 gb 3g. its always has fit my needs. i would have gained nothing by upgrading to an ipad 2. a couple weeks ago ipad 1 32gb with 3g was selling for 345 dollars buy now on ebay. usually. now its 275. even lower. honestly at 275 im thinking why even bother selling it. Never thought the ipad 1 price would get so hosed. anyway looks like i will be passing it on to a family member rather then selling because 275 bucks isnt even worth my time.

2. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

I know, it's sad. I should have sold mine right before the announcement if I knew I was going to get the new iPad regardless. Right now, I've got my 16Gb WiFi+3G on for $250, and I highly doubt I will get that much for it.

3. iohass macrumors regular

Did you start this thread because you thought that an electronic device with an annual upgrade cycle would go up in value two years after release or did you start it to tell everyone that $275 is not worth your time?

4. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

It would be really sad if you couldnt get 250. thats pretty much the cost of an nook tablet and your tablet blows away a nook. what do they want for one with no 3g. 100 bucks?

5. jmnikricket macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I got a refurb iPad for $350 when the 2 came out. I'm surprised they were going so high on eBay in the first place; $275 seems very reasonable IMO.

Edit: It was a 16gb, but options to deflate disproportionately on resale. Slightly more sympathetic though :-/

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Might as well keep it for sentimental value or you can use it for less delicate tasks, like in the kitchen or garage.

7. therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You aren't hosed. Stop being a drama queen.

1) The original iPad is still a good piece of hardware. It's not like it's obsolete or few apps will now work on it.

2) You made a conscious decision not to flip your original iPad when the 2 was announced. You could have gotten good money for it then and upgraded for $100-150.

9. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I had already planned on giving my iPad 1 to a family member, but I would have sold it if that option was not available.

Not sure why you feel the way you do, but $250-275 is a great deal of money in this economy (I say that even with a very good paying job). Why would you not sell it instead of it collecting dust and depreciating even more?

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm selling mine for 250. It means my new iPad cost me $479 instead of $729. In what universe is that not good news?

11. aypues macrumors regular

Hey on Amazon they are giving $240 for a 1st gen 16gb wifi + 3G. It comes as amazon store credit, but I shop there for everything (Prime member)

12. OSMac macrumors 65816

Collector's item, rather keep a 1 with the original box etc., than a 2.

Keep em :)

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't why this is a shock. It's 2 year old tech and 1 vs 3 feels almost worlds apart in many respects.

14. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Considering the iPad 1 is two years old now, I'd say they held their used resale value quite well at $250 - $275

I'd say it's much more worrying to other tablet makers as even the old iPad 1 is still a better user experience than pretty much any competitors tablet plus it's only a few dollars more than the worst of them.

15. kjenyg macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Im installing mine in my kitchen for watching news ect while cooking.

Im not upgrading though, my MBA is so portable I dont need an iPad.

16. Carouser macrumors 65816

Your iPad 1 works just as good today as it did yesterday, so you're crying just because you can't sell it for as much as you could if everything were different.

If the time it takes to sell it isn't worth $275 to you then you shouldn't even be worried about the iPad 1 retaining value because at those rates you should be able to throw it away at full price without thinking twice about it.

17. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

18. monkeylui macrumors 6502

The iPad 1 I believe still has a lot of value. How? Donate it, whether to a family member or to a charity who could use a "PC". I donated my iPad 1 to my kids when I got the iPad 2. Donating my iPad 2 to my wife tomorrow, donating her iPad 1 to my dad. They still have a lot of life left in them. Put a smile on someone's face.

19. hoofbite macrumors member

It's possible that in 5 years the iPad 1 may increase in value. Eventually it will become somewhat of a 'collector's item' and people will want to own the original device that revolutionized that tablet/postPC market.

20. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Its a 2 year old consumer electronics device for a product that gets yearly refreshes. Whats an Android Tablet from the same era worth, $150?

21. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I think if I still had mine, I'd keep it as a one day collectable....I gave it to a buddy, and it's still going strong. It's value was bound to drop...2 generations on now...I'd hold on to it.

22. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

"The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."
    Oscar Wilde

23. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Kinda defeats the purpose if they're not offering the new iPad for sale though. Especially if they don't at MSRP.

24. -iKris- macrumors regular

Actually, I'm amazed how how well the iOS devices hold their value.

A couple of days ago I sold my 32 GB (non 3G) iPad 1 for £200 (just over $300), and I was amazed with that. Not many gadgets are still worth more than half their original price 2 years later.

Paid for half my new iPad!

25. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

If you buy these things thinking they'll hold their value you need to re-evaluate your thinking. The value is in the use you get out of them. If you're still using an iPad 1 at this point you've gotten more use (and thus more value) out of it than the vast majority of other iPad 1 owners. If you get ANY money for it at this point you're well ahead of the game.