Man wearing a red Make America Great Again hat gets beaten and robbed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solver, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Solver macrumors 6502a

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I wonder which politician incited their violence?

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Shame on them. The report is rather vague, but I wonder if they were charged with stealing or destroying his hat, or did the robbery charge stem from something else.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Well it could really be someone from either side of the aisle, now couldn't it?

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Sure, if you believe two Trump supporters harassed someone wearing a Trump hat and then beat him.

6. Solver thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The vast majority of political violence in this country is right wing. All the people that were murdered in extremist attacks in the US last year were killed my right wing extremists. Not Muslims. Not liberals.

Don't fool yourself into believing that an individual attack creates any sort of equivalence with the much larger threat of right wing violence and terrorism in the US.

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Glad they caught the two guys, and while I think it’s unwise for this guy to be walking around that part of town with that hat on, I can respect is conviction I guess.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

That's not what I meant - but possible.

What I meant (since your phrasing left it open). Was it a Democrat who said something to incite them to take action. Or was it Trump or a Republican that incited them to take action.

10. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Did anyone get attacked or harassed for wearing something which said “hope and change”?

11. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I've come to realize in these situations the perpetrators read the hat and then answer the call to what they think will make America great again. Others patrol the border hunting Mexicans. The simplicity of the statement is wide open to many translations. Perhaps he should have been more specific. Admittedly it wouldn't pop as much.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Nobody should be attacking anybody. But I feel like ya'll care more about the defending the MAGA hat(symbolism) than the actual violence.

13. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

I've also never seen a car with Obama or Bernie stickers get damaged.

Don't get any ideas leftists. Don't go torching your own car and running to the media (like 99%+ of your side's claimed "hate crimes").

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

ignorance can be bliss, I guess,

"He cares about the middle man," Mable said of Trump. "He is all about the nation. What's wrong with that?"

Or comedy gold.

It is not entirely obvious that the attack was actually politically motivated. The hat may have been just a marker, that the attackers perceived to indicate a person who did not belong there and thus probably an easy target.

15. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

You tell that to the Antifa supporters?

Or to anyone who instructs people to "punch nazis" while identifying everyone who isn't a lockstep-Democrat as a "Nazi"?

16. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

If Trump used that for his campaign instead, it wouldn't really matter.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 16, 2019 ---
    What do you mean?

17. Altis macrumors 68030

Nah, it's the violence that's the main problem. A strongly related problem, though, is the tendency for people to only care when it's in certain 'directions.'

Not saying one 'side' does this more than the other, but it's certainly the way things are these days.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

So you must agree the true message behind MAGA is equivalent and/or similar to Nazi's message. Otherwise, why would you make the comparison?

Simple, no MAGA hat, no story. If the guy attacked and robbed the teen based on him wearing a hat with a certain sports team, then it wouldn't go past a short Worldstar clip.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

So, Democrats are responsible for a random attack on someone wearing a MAGA hat? I guess the Republicans are responsible for the rise of the tiki Nazis, full-blown white supremacists hate groups, and the burnings of churches in Louisiana, just to name a few.

Okay. I accept this proposition and move to declare the Republican party the political wing of a domestic terror operation akin to Sinn Féin.

Or, we can all put away our proverbial guns and remind each other that assaulting someone because of their apparent political beliefs is wrong, unhelpful, and criminal. And, instead, move to dial down the rhetoric and stop pushing the idea that because someone disagrees with you they support the 9/11 terrorists.

We also need to analyze context and realize that there's a dark movement in the right that wants to ignite some very bad impulses in the human psyche by stripping away empathy and promoting tribalism, and also stop the attempts to create a left-wing response that engages in the same tactics.

20. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

I never did. Democrats did. The blood of political violence is on their hands, literally.

I have no problem with anyone wearing a red hat. Do you?

21. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Indeed, and the so-called "writer" Jessica Chasmar at the "Washington Times" is the undisputed queen of MAGA hat victim clickbait. To wit:
    1. 81-year-old man wearing ‘MAGA’ hat assaulted in New Jersey ShopRite: Police .By Jessica Chasmar The Washington Times February 27, 2019 Link
    2. Vans store employee fired after harassing teen in MAGA hat. By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Monday, February 18, 2019 Link
    3. Teen wearing 'Make America Great Again' hat attacked at Texas Whataburger. By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Thursday, July 5, 2018 Link
    4. Rep. Ilhan Omar attacks Covington boys for 'taunting' Black Hebrew Israelites
      JESSICA CHASMAR JANUARY 23, 2019 Link [The boys attacked were, OF COURSE, wearing red MAGA hats because Jessica says so in the first breathless line of her story]
    5. Okla. high school student caught knocking 'MAGA' hat off boy's head: 'Take that s---t off!'. By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Wednesday, February 27, 2019 Link
    6. 19-year-old charged with assaulting elderly man wearing 'MAGA' hat in N.J. By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Thursday, February 28, 2019. Link
    7. etc., etc.
    It's all just cynical manipulation of hat-wearers' emotions, isn't it?

--- Post Merged, Apr 16, 2019 ---
    I'm not sure it's even part of the right. It feels completely un-American to me.

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, "red hat" is a bad way to put it, because there is an entire group called the Red Hat Society which is largely not made up of MAGAts.

What offends many of us about those hats is that fourth word, "Again". WTH are they to tell us that America was not great already? To many/most of us, it was great, and has been great for as long as many of us can remember, small flaws notwithstanding.

So, what was the problem? How was America deficient when the MAGAts started donning those hats? Hmmm. Could it have been that the President was unapologetically negro? Because, that is what it smelled like to us.

And still does. We see those "very fine people" trying to drag us back to a dim and shadowy age, when the darkies knew their place, the women clung to heel, and the weirdos stayed in the closet. Most of us the opposite of yearn for that.

23. Altis macrumors 68030

Yes, political violence is considered differently than random acts of violence, much in the same way hate crimes are.

There's all kinds of violence that we hear but a peep about depending on who was involved, and likewise comparatively lesser violence can make international headlines with endless panels of talking heads, based on the same criteria.

24. Tech198 macrumors G5

or anti-trump.

25. appleisking macrumors 6502a

I don’t care if the hat has a literal Nazi sign on it you have no right to attack anyone. People need to learn to keep their goddamn hands to themselves