Man who displayed gun at downtown Portland protest arrested

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 22, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.kptv.com/story/32398549/man-who-displayed-gun-at-downtown-portland-protest-arrested
    wish there was clear video. still seems like self defense to me.
    second link
    http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2016/08/man_accused_of_pulling_gun_on_1.html

2. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

better video

Morons are lucky that the guy had a cool head.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Wait.. Granted, the pushing and shoving aside, people who are rightfully exercising their 1A right are "morons" while a man rightfully exercising his 2A right gets a pass?

How, the hypocrisy astounds.

If anything, the best decision would have been to not engage the protesters in any way, which would have prevented the situation from escalating to begin with.

Sounds like morons all around.

BL.

4. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]pushing & shoving = assault....[​IMG]

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

That guy is a fu***** idiot, and exactly the wrong thing you want to display as your example of "2nd Amendment Rights". In fact, I might go so far as to call this guy a snowflake with a firearm. Maybe a blizzard.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

he should have waited until those signs were raining down on him.................:rolleyes:

8. samiwas macrumors 65816

Oh noes! Not some cardboard signs!!!!! What's he gonna doooooo???? Snowflake.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]try the wood attached to the signs[​IMG]

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the gunman was arrested, tried and found guilty

http://koin.com/2017/02/12/man-who-pulled-gun-on-crowd-guilty/

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

If this guy were in the same room, Trump would grab him...if you know what I'm sayin'.

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Oregon sucks more than I thought :eek:
    --- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2017 ---
    too old for trumps taste :eek:

13. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Pro gun here but 120 rounds oh him? Hmmmm, maybe the courts are getting this one right to prevent a future issue.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Pushing someone is assault and isn't covered in the 1A. These leftist morons havent figured that out yet but they are getting closer.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The right to protest/assemble is most assuredly covered by the 1A. But engaging them in their right to protest sure as hell is NOT covered by the 1A, and escalated the situation to where he felt he needed to draw his piece. If he hadn't done that, the situation wouldn't have made it to the point that it did.

Morons on one side for pushing/shoving him; moron on his part for trying to engage them when he knew that there was a protest going on. He could have avoided that situation altogether.

BL.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Wait so one side can exercise their 1A and the other side can't? Whoever started the violence escalated the situation, that is the left.

I know this can get confusing when the last president confused a riot with 1A rights and the left is used to burning looting and bullying people with large groups. Just know that there is an equalizer and some on the right won't hesitate if they are ganged up on.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I never said they can't.

Sometimes, the best way to avoid a conflict is to not be there to create the conflict. Simple logic there, but keep thinking that it's that "one side can do something while the other can't". That is only in your head, and you need to get over that.

They were there to protest. That's part of their 1A argument. Is it his right to be offended by that protest and get into an argument with them?

Simple yes or no answer, please.

BL.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If we want to go by the "sometimes it's better to avoid conflict" rule wouldn't these protestors be going home?

Who started the assault?

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yes, avoid the question. Again, the protest was scheduled. That's a fact.

I listen to OPB from there every morning, and during their traffic reports they give the places to avoid, in which this was one of them due to the protests. That is a warning/FYI for others to avoid the area due to any conflicts like this that can come up. So again, the onus is on the person approaching them, not those protesting legally.

Again, is it the right of the person who argued with them to be offended by them and engage in that argument, creating the situation it did?

BL.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

It seems the court didn't believe his story that he was pushed or threatened. There was even an undercover policeman who witnessed the whole thing

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Arguing with someone isn't against the law, pushing them is.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2017 ---
    Luckily there is plenty of video evidence, doesn't look like a very cheerful protest.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Like I said before, morons on both sides, but the guy didn't need to be there to create the incident. If he were not there, would the incident have occurred?

BL.

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

indeed, so much evidence against him that they didn't have any trouble convicting him

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

The whole thing? There are reports he was nearby .... source please?

25. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I'll stick with @bradl on this one. If I were going to insert myself into a hostile (for lack of maybe a better term) situation, I have to take responsibility of the high probability something negative could happen. This guy's solution was to bring a gun and back it up with 120 rounds, cowardly stroking his own ego. Darwin rules here, glad an irresponsible gun owner is disarmed without harm to others.