Man with locked-in syndrome dies at home week after losing euthanasia court case

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This gentleman may have suffered a stroke, but I've heard of other people who became locked-in through some terrible disease. And to me, it does sound like a living hell.

I can appreciate how those who are injured in war or other trauma, and face living with amputation or paralysis, feel they want to die...yet later learn to live with it. But virtually total paralysis, the feeling of being fully aware yet almost unable to communicate freely with anyone, in effect a prisoner in one's own body...god, that scares me right down to my blood.

I'm not sure why, in the 21st century, we still have a problem with euthanasia in cases like this -- except for the obvious one, religion. And to me, that's just one more reason why religion must go. Any belief system that forces a person to live in torment is unjust.

But I don't want to go on a tangential diatribe about religion. The main point I want to make is that we have to start thinking of our eventual demises in a more humane way. Right now we are having national debates about other serious topics like gay marriage, but at some point we are also going to have to talk about this one. Unfortunately, it has yet to come to the fore and become as vital a debate as gay marriage is now.

I just wish I knew whether I could expect it in my lifetime.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its even traditional. Doctors used to do this.

We still do for our pets.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm terrified that I'm going to be asked to help. I don't know if I could. It would be a lot better if it were legal and if there were medical professionals who would help.