Manage new iphone 5 with existing iTunes (100GB of music)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 7enderbender, Apr 9, 2013.

1. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

I've read a bunch of threads and articles on the old "multiple iphones/ipods on one computer" issue. I get the general idea and have managed ipods manually in different settings and on various computers before.

But since I'm still contemplating switching to an iphone 5 next week. It seems one of the only ways to manage that thing on a computer is through iTunes. Be that as it may but my current itunes setup is to manage my 160GB iPod classic and the pretty big music collection that I have. So no matter which iPhone 5 I end up buying (if any) it won't fit the music collection. It doesn't have to actually. I really don't care since all I need the phone for is really emails and, well, as a phone. I'm sure I'll also have a few "apps" for this and that but not much.

So what is the right way to set up the phone now on itunes without risking wiping out my music or syncing useless stuff with my iPod (pictures, or what ever)? Manage both manually going forward? Also: can I keep iTunes 10 or do I have to "upgrade" to use the new phone?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So keep iPod on 1 account, the iPhone on another. 2 separate libraries. Well not really just 2 separate library indexes.

3. StevenB14 macrumors regular

StevenB14

Can't you just set up 2 playlists and sync each device from the relevant playlist?

Create a playlist for your iPod that mirrors exactly what you have on the device at the moment and then a 2nd playlist for your new iPhone.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

It sounds like your making a mountain out of a mole hill.

You will ZERO issues doing what you want to do.

Make a playlist you want to sync to your phone, and have your 160GB iPod just sync all your music.

I have an iPad, iPod touch, iPod Classic and 2 iPhones that sync to my single iTunes library and there isn't an issue.

5. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

What do you mean exactly by "account"? Two different log ins on the PC? That's not an option.

----------

I didn't know you could just sync a playlist.

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Now you do.

Enjoy your iPhone 5 next week! :)

7. hafr macrumors 68030

You won't start syncing photos to your iPod just because you're using iTunes for an iPhone as well and the syncing of music to the phone and to the iPod has nothing to do with one another. So no problems for you, my friend :)

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You're overthinking it, I currently have multiple iPhones/iPods that I use on my computer, each is identified as such and will sync however you set it up to with no conflicts between devices. I always use manual for my devices, I have ~ 20GB less than you on total music, so I definitely understand your situation.