Mancow VS Waterboarding

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by XnavxeMiyyep, May 24, 2009.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

At least he had the sense to reverse his opinion instead of trying to just sluff it off. I think anyone who thinks this isn't torture should go through it and then re-evaluate their opinion.

3. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Just in case I wasn't clear, i was being sarcastic with the maybe.:p

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

He gets credit in my book for backing his claim up, and then being willing to admit it was wrong.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

eh i know its fake going in so i should be fine. so not torture
    I am soooo kidding. I do believe its torture no question

6. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Agreed. I wonder if this will drive Sean Hannity to respond to Olbermann's waterboarding challenge.

7. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

I think we need a place like mythbusters to look at the science behind this torture

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Christopher Hitchens was also water boarded and lasted under 10 seconds. He changed his stance as well.

That blow hard doesnb't have the balls to do it.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I almost missed the white text ;)

But it does bring up a good point. Mancow knew that the person administering the waterboarding was a trained professional. He knew he could quit at anytime and there were paramedics standing by. There was no chance of any permanent harm to him, and he still thought it was torture. Now imagine what it's like for detainees who don't necessarily have trained people administering the waterboarding or medical personell standing by, and they can't quit at any time. It's even worse for them. If waterboarding is torture under controlled, safe conditions, then I don't even know what to call the waterboarding at Gitmo. It's beyond torture.

They tend to avoid controversial, political issues like this, and I don't blame them. It's a nonpartisan show and they don't want to piss off half their viewers. They did do Chinese water torture awhile back, but it wasn't a political issue. I'd imagine if waterboarding wasn't taking place at Gitmo and there was nothing political about it, they might do it.

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Hitchens was actually a bit more of a mensch about it. He approved for SERE-trained veterans to actually come unannounced, tie him up and put a bag over his head, and abduct him to some unknown location to be waterboarded. His "abductors" operated under a much less convivial atmosphere than Muller's, although it turns out not to matter.

Videos of both men's experiences are available on YouTube:

Hitchens
    Muller

I imagine he's actually much less inclined now than he was when he said it.

From a charity standpoint, it doesn't matter. Olbermann rescinded his offer to Hannity in favor of donating $10,000 to the charity founded by the man you see in the video waterboarding Muller. I only wish I could believe this turn of events will buy Hannity the total lack of credibility to speak on the subject that he has richly earned, but I have encountered enough of his core audience to know better.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Even if Sean Insanity did do it, and even if he cried for his mommy afterwards because it was so terrifying, he still wouldn't admit it was torture. People like him never admit when they're wrong

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

What if, and I'm just throwing this out there, the condition for his "captors" to stop was for him to admit that it was torture?

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yeah. I respect that he had the balls to do it, and that he admitted he was completely wrong afterwards.

Hannity is a *****. He'll never do it.

14. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Even though Hannity will never do it, I think Keith should keep counting the days just to keep reminding everyone what an idiot Hannity is. I love how Olberman still says "Thats countdown on this the 2185 day since the previous President declared "Mission Accomplished" In Iraq" Keep rubbing it in Keith. :)

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It was getting a bit stale to be honest. I was beginning to miss the birthdays and other "on this day" tidbits before Oddbal

16. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Perhaps, but I wonder if he'll keep the "Limbaugh Logo" for a while? :) Guess we'll have to wait till tonight to see.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Dear god I hope not. Bouncing Lardbaugh is a hazard to one's health. When he had all of those bouncing Lardbaugh's on the screen at once I thought I felt an earthquake :D

18. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Yeah, but it's funny :) I my have to start a thread just for that WTF moment cause it was so funny:)

19. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Good question. What if it was ? Do you think he would have stopped and said it was torture to make them stop ? Kind of like the detainees saying things that the torturers wanted to hear. ;)

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Down for this.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

10 bucks says I could last for 7 seconds. :D

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yes!

That's perfect.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

[​IMG]
    Thanks for the reminder to dig out some of my old LPs...

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Funny you mention that, because apparently Sean called to talk to his friend Mancow afterward, and still maintains that it's not torture. Still. Sounds like some people here. Despite overwhelming evidence, first hand testimony among it, some will still defend their beliefs no matter what. Don't forget, this is Sean Hannity we're talking about, who still maintains that there were WMDs in Iraq.

Scary that so many still trust him as an honest and reliable source.

We have plenty of evidence already, people are still going to believe what they believe.

Speaking of which, I wonder where all of those who still say it isn't torture, and/or are ok with it are right now and why they aren't responding to this either.