Mandatory Gun Law = Low Crime

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Aranince, Jul 29, 2008.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Pretty minimal evidence in the article: one cop saying:

And further, the article if anything shows that reductions in gun ownership is what leads to lower crime:

So while crime has dropped, so has gun ownership.

One thing's for sure though, the people are delightful:

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

"heads of a household" that would lead to some interesting discussion in most homes,without lethal weapons available.

3. Aranince thread starter macrumors 65816

Its common sense that gun ownership keeps crime low. If you were to rape, murder, rob someone...would you do it to someone with a gun or without? Most likely without.

4. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Gracious.... since when should Mexicans be lumped with the Negroes. That's just wrong. Thank God some animal lover got in there and made the right changes, sometimes people lose their heads with all these rules. :eek::rolleyes:

~ CB

5. calculus Guest

calculus

I'd like to see much more compulsion of this sort including here in the UK. My list of 'have tos' would include:-

• Compulsory ownership of a set of juggling balls
    • Mandatory wearing of a head torch for safety purposes
    • All meals to include The Laughing Cow cheese portions.

It would surely be a better world...

6. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Good grief, the Health and Safety Executive would have a coronary!

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You want more evidence? Take a look at Switzerland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

So you're making an argument exclusively from a single data point? Not exactly scientific.

The US has a higher level of gun ownership than Switzerland, why don't we have lower crime?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_countries_by_gun_ownership

In fact, Aranince, we have the highest gun ownership in the world, why aren't our crime rates the lowest?

Obviously, reality is a lot more complicated. I'm not arguing that low gun ownership necessarily equals a lack of crime. Take a look at Nigeria. They have the lowest gun ownership on that list, and I'm pretty sure they aren't crime free.

9. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

10. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Please delete, can't be bothered with another thread about guns.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually guns in homes != gun ownership
    the majority are militar weapons stored unloaded at home with regulations in place requiring that ammunition is stored safe

also the current law is pretty sure to change the coming years since many young people don't want to worry to safely store a gun at their home

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Kennesaw passed its ordinance--never intended to be enforced--as a sneering response to the gun ban of Morton Grove, Illinois.

Kennesaw's already low burglary rate fell toward zero. The burglary rate in Morton Grove increased.

Make of it what you will. At the time, both towns were relatively small bedroom communities of major cities and thus reasonably comparable.

This last quarter-century has seen both town increase in population. Still, from what little has been published in such as the Atlanta Constitution, there seems to be a relatively low crime rate in Kennesaw. I have no idea about Morton Grove.

'Rat

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Do you look up data?

Toward zero? Actually, Kennesaw's burglary rate in 2005 was 322.8 per 100,000, higher than Morton Grove's of 303.8

http://www.city-data.com/city/Kennesaw-Georgia.html
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Morton-Grove-Illinois.html

Morton Grove has also had a lower crime index than Kennesaw since 2001, and has had 0 murders compared to Kennesaw's 4. In some cases, Kennesaw seems to do better. It seems to have a lower theft rate and rape rate, but higher auto theft rate, assault rate, and arson rate. Overall, once again, it has a higher crime rate.

This is a really pathetic the success story for gun ownership considering that it doesn't even hold up to basic analysis.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So you're right to not own a gun in Kennesaw depends on the benevolence of some elected officials?* That's it...we have gone stark-raving, around-the-bend crazy.

In fact, there's a lot of disturbing stuff in that article:

What exactly did they take away from this guy? His Confederate flag? How tragic. :rolleyes: As for him lumping his .45s in with his other "tools" like rakes and shovels...kinda creepy.

Yeah, I've heard this a lot, and it's clear people who say this don't give this more than ten seconds' thought.

Let's play the conservatives' game. Instead of "sitting ducks", you've got twenty, thirty, forty or more students with their own guns drawn, running around the campus...all potential targets of other students who don't know which one, out of all of them, is the perp.

Not to mention making it more difficult for the cops. Can you imagine showing up at the campus and finding dozens of armed students, instead of just one?

Wow. Just wow. And this guy is not mentally ill?

This alone is subject enough for a whole 'nother thread. Suffice it to say that this statement is messed up in more than one way.

* Yes, I know they're not enforcing it, but it's the principle of the thing. They could.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No it isn't. If this was true, as alluded to above, places like the US would have less violent crime than a place like the UK. Which is not the case. Though Canada has a lot of guns, and lower crime, so it's not a corollary the other way either. I do support the 2nd Amendment, but let's be honest about what's actual fact, rather than what you believe to be "common sense". Common sense also tells us that you're more likely to injure yourself or a loved one by your own weapon, so clearly people need to know how to be responsible gun owners. And we can all agree we should be doing more about those who have guns illegally.

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

miloblithe, remember the context: The Kennesaw "law" was passed a good while ago, remember? 1982? What I said was indeed factual for the next several years after passage. Times have changed, in that Kennesaw is now part of the Atlanta sprawl. From what the Atlanta "Constitution" and the TV report, crime rates are high in that entire area. No longer a part of the state that's really a good place to live.

I spoke ONLY to burglaries, and I was correct for the 1980s dates of the published data. Your links provide no data prior to 1999, at which time Morton Grove was two-thirds higher for burglaries than Kennesaw. Also, note the comparative populations growths, by a factor of roughly five for Kennesaw and a negative growth for Morton Grove--for whatever effect there may be.

As far as causality, I'd bet that the publicity over the Kennesaw ordinance created a very-useful uncertainty factor among would-be burglars--which would be far more contributory than actual home-owner possession of a firearm. That's what happened in Florida after they passed their CHL laws: Muggings declined except on people who were obviously tourists, and car-jackings shifted to out-of-state and rental vehicles. Non-residents would be far less likely to be able to defend themselves.

'Rat