Mandatory STD testing for everybody returning from world cup in south africa.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dinaluvsApple, Jun 27, 2010.

1. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_South_Africa

The 2007 UNAIDS report estimated that 5,700,000 South Africans had HIV/AIDS, or just under 12% of South Africa's population of 48 million[1]. The number of infected is larger than in any other single country in the world. The other top five countries with the highest HIV/AIDS prevalence are all neighbours of South Africa.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

3. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

true, but they should still be checked and for other STD's.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

HIV is the problem. Why would other diseases matter? Why not mandatory tests for STDs for everyone traveling abroad?

5. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

i never said not test for hiv.

anybody returning from south africa or other high HIV countries should be placed on a watch list until they clear testing.

Its just the world cup is such a large event and more than a usual amount of people attend at once. so infection is much greater.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

At one point the US had the highest infection rate in the world. Did everyone else test their citizens for HIV? Has there been any proof that people traveling to RSA return with higher infection rates?

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

8. Queso macrumors G4

What a load of crock. You may as well test everyone who goes near South Africa, regardless of when they go. The World Cup actually lowers the likelihood of infection. Drunken horny tourists of both sexes are going to sleep with drunken horny tourists, and during the tournament there's a far higher number of them.

BTW, if you've ever visited the country you'd realise just what a stupid idea this is. The HIV rate is extremely high....amongst the rural poor and in the townships. Where the tourists are staying is a world away from those places.

Also, having lived in KwaZulu-Natal I can testify that a large amount of the high infection rate is down to Zulu men still carrying the traditional idea that it is perfectly acceptable for them to have sex with as many women as they like, whether married or not. Five or six a week, and a lot of them still haven't got round to the thought of using condoms.

They should ban vuvuzelas too, as they are a health danger and annoying.

And I agree with the OP. AIDS, Murder and Rape are what comes to mind when one thinks of South Africa. The rates for all three of those things are through the roof in South Africa. South Africa is a country that I will never set foot in, ever. What a mess of a place.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And people were complaining about first-graders having access to condoms. :rolleyes:

Now we have to check them for STDs?

That's just wrong.

IMHO.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you go to Africa or South America to a country which has Yellow Fever you have to have a valid Yellow Fever certificate if you come back to a tropical country without the disease - so its not as if the matter doesn't have precedence.

I see your point, but I'm not convinced. Usual tourists to South Africa will largely be in one of two groups. Firstly the rich who stay in fancy hotels and then will have very little exposure to the locals - even if they use prostitutes for example. Secondly there will be "travellers" who are very likely to have been to other developing countries and understand the risks of going to a country like South Africa more fully.

The world cup will probably have attracted more tourists who otherwise wouldn't go to a country like South Africa and who are less aware of the risks - additionally football fans are notorious for using prostitutes who generally have very high levels of STD's.

Certainly I wouldn't ban people with HIV from (re) entering the country, but making some effort to make sure they are tested, or at least that tests are made obvious and available has to be a good idea.

But anybody who does have HIV and willfully and knowingly spreads it to somebody else should be locked up and quarantined where they can commit no further crimes or attempted acts of murder.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes, certainly in the UK that is a pretty serious offence and I believe you generally go to prison for it.

But you can't send anyone to prison for it if you/they don't know they've got HIV.

14. Queso macrumors G4

Then you miss out. South Africa is a beautiful country with a rich combination of cultures. It has its problems, but the positives outweigh the negatives by a long way.

Doesn't matter though. It's your loss.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So we'll be sticking cotton swabs up the willies of every born male now?

Even the Pope?

Cool.

16. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

There was a Law & Order episode about exactly that. Guy went to prison. Since these episodes are usually made based on real life events there probably was precedence.

17. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

I am shocked that some people here actually think this is a good idea. HIV/AIDS is nothing like Yellow Fever or SARS in this situation....I am simply speechless.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

C'mon itcheroni!

Stick this Q-Tip in your willie and prove that you haven't been putting it in any African's orifice!

God, I'm proud to be an American. :rolleyes:

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Can you explain?

20. Queso macrumors G4

I think he's talking about infection mechanisms. Unlike Yellow Fever HIV cannot be transmitted by mosquitoes, and SARS of course can be transmitted through airborne particles. It's therefore far more difficult to catch it unless you partake in known risky behaviour.

BTW, considering the thread subject I found it quite funny that SARS was brought up. SARS is also the name of the South African taxman :D

21. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

SARS and Yellow Fever can be received and transmitted just walking down the street. You can't help it if a mosquito bite you. And if you came back and a mosquito bite you and then someone else, you can't help it. SARS is also spread through no commission of one's own. You can get it by someone just coughing in your face and having their fluid enter your body by breathing or rubbing your eyes.

AIDS, on the other hand, is a known risk associated with certain activities: Blood transfusion, childbirth, sharing needles, and receptive anal intercourse.

The difference is if I get AIDS from receptive anal intercourse with someone coming back from South Africa, it is the exact same risk I would take with anyone who didn't go to South Africa. It is on me to use a condom and ask the person's sexual history.

Besides my practical objection to this suggestion, I think such a policy would be immoral as well as a logistical and financial nightmare. Who would do the testing? Who would pay for the test and the cost of quarantine? Would it be added as a fee to all flights to SA? Wouldn't that dramatically reduce the number of people vacationing in SA? And wouldn't it cause some public relations strain with SA? If testing for HIV/AIDS is within power and concern of the government, what can't they test for? And let's say you quarantine them, test them, and a few have HIV/AIDS? What then? What's the point if there's no cure? I would really question the true motives behind such a policy.

I just think, unless you're planning on having sex or sharing needles with someone, whether or not they have STDs is none of your business. And it's especially not the government's business.

EDIT: Since one of the main reasons stated was the fact that soccer fans frequent prostitutes, I thought I'd cite from Wikipedia that, on average, there are 5 infections per 10,000 exposures to an infected source by way of insertive penile-vaginal intercourse. 10,000 men could have unprotected sex with a prostitute with AIDS and only about 5 would contract it.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The UK government is offering to test all young people for chlamydia at the moment, so this isn't really a major issue IMO.

That said the rest of your argument is persuasive.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Oh, the poor woman, she almost couldn't eat for a few days and she almost starved!:D

She is one of the ignorant aggressors though, and her wounds were self inflicted. I don't care about people like her, she's not innocent.

I was thinking more about the innocent people who aren't blowing in vuvuzelas and the people whose ears can be damaged by the extremely high DB levels emitted from the dangerous and annoying vuvuzelas. :)

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

So this guy.
    I have to say, though, once they became known, you'd be an idiot to go into a stadium without earplugs.