Mandatory Voting?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Aug 1, 2016.

?

Mandatory Voting

1. Yea

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Nay

19 vote(s)
    73.1%
  1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Answering for Jury Duty, Selective Service, and even Healthcare is now mandatory, and a list of other things I can't think of at the moment.

So why not Voting?

I think mandatory voting will eliminate the actions of politicians who try to manipulate ways to disenfranchise certain groups, since everyone will have to vote anyways. No more incidents of extremely long lines, and other BS tactics.

Politicians would also have to give more attention to all demographics since they can't bet on low turn outs by any specific demographic.

People will be more involed and educated about other elections, not just the presidential election.

So what do you guys think, Yea or Nay?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

because not
    1 everyone has a car
    2 plenty of people sick
    3 I hate mandatory things (only the ones I don't agree with of course :p)

3. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Peru has this (my wife is from Peru) and it can make for some really inconvenient instances. My wife is a US Citizen now but she retains her Peruvian citizenship and because of this, she's required to vote or face fines even though she is here in the USA. Imagine some xx thousand Peruvians going to LA to vote... yeah, it was a mess this year. The second time was better but ... still a huge inconvenience because they don't allow absentee ballots or online voting. Online voting just provides more opportunities for abuse... I'll vote nay. Sadly.

That said, any concerned citizen should be voting. Sad that very few actually do. Making it mandatory though would be a mess and back up already long lines even more.

I do absentee ballots here in the USA because I can't stand waiting in line for hours and hours. This is a MUST imo.

4. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

1) No excuse.
    2) That can be an exemption.
    3) Yup, people hate being told what to do unless they like it.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1. I understand where you are coming from
    2. this is supposed to be the land of the free my friend, too many mandates/fines already
    3. are you married by any chance? :D

6. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

For the most part, the long lines are strategically manipulated. This won't happen if voting was mandatory.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

If they don't care enough to vote by their own free will, then it's on them and they have no one to blame but themselves.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How does requiring people to vote mean that they will be more involved and better educated about who to vote for?

I voted "nay."

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

low information voters are a bigger problem than low turnouts.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so don't vote already jeez.

11. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Well the involved part is obvious. When people have to make a choice, many will start to show or campaign their choice VS having an "I don't care eithier way, cause I'm not voting" attitude.

Educated meaning in a loss term. Atleast people would have an idea who other politicians are if they had to vote, besides the obvious President, Governor, and Mayor.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

exactly. there should be a requirement for people to pass tests on the subjects and candidates they are voting on prior to being allowed to cast a vote.

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I will again raise my right hand then extend my middle finger..

Sorry I'm in one of those moods...Kids in Austria on a dance trip without her old man and dad is a bit nervous cause bombs and shooters :oops:

14. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

And what happens if you yourself don't pass the test, you would cry foul.

15. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

16. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

The idea is to raise the amount of people voting, not lower it.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

PUT candidates up there worth voting for.

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I don't vote on issues I'm not familiar with or in races where I don't know much about the candidates and since I put the idea out there I'm sure you are smart enough to know how I feel.

19. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I am not the DNC/RNC. Vote in your local elections, support candidates who you believe in when they are up election/higher offices.

20. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Nay. Only because one only has to walk down the street to run into some village idiot who can't name his Mayor much less tie his shoes. I'd prefer such people not vote.

21. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

But wouldn't the main reason people can't name their own local politicians, is cause they don't vote. Wouldn't mandatory voting actually enable the opposite, eventually?

22. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

I like the system that Robert A Heinlein laid out in Starship Troopers (great book, AWFUL movie). In order to be a citizen, you have to serve a minimum of 2 years in the armed services. It's not mandatory. You don't have to serve, you don't have to become a citizen. Only citizen's get to vote.

- you can't become a member of congress or a judge unless you're a citizen (think there were other jobs too)
    - your military term could be considerably longer than 2 years if there was a conflict (you were needed)
    - you couldn't vote while you were serving
    - everyone else is a resident
    - there were other "perks" - being a citizen was a premium persona. Things like if there was an altercation that was one persons word against another, they would always take the word of a citizen over the word of a resident.

But, that way people would value their right to vote - they EARNED it. (inherently, people don't value what they get for free).

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

NO, most don't know much about politics because they don't care, Jersey shore, Jerry Springer, Honey boo boo, Duck dynasty & the Krapdashians are much more interesting than politics.

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Why do people want every idiot to be in the military? I just don't get it

25. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

They can't name them because they don't care. They'll use the ballot like an F student taking the SAT.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2016 ---
    Ive seen plenty of misguided youth turn their lives around in the military. Not such a bad thing. It teaches discipline, or it used to. Most so sure after the last 8 years of safe space development.