Mandatory Wi-Fi Logs for Citizens?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Feb 20, 2009.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10168114-38.html

Because obviously home users should be mandated to record all of their internet activity for two years, and have the money and technical knowledge to do so.

How could they justify BS like this? Oh wait...

THE CHILDREN! THINK OF THE CHILDREN! It seems that no one is scared of terrorists anymore, so politicians are reverting to tried and true methods of using children to scare people into authoritarian laws.

The bill is even called the "Internet Stopping Adults Facilitating the Exploitation of Today's Youth Act," or Internet SAFETY Act, for short.

Call your representatives today to help explain why this is both unreasonable and unfeasible. This bill has been introduced in both the senate and the house.

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

The problem is that it works. It really seems to work.

3. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Fears of Internet predators unfounded, study finds

To summarize, if your child is going to be unwillingly assaulted, it's going to be while she (usually "she") is out in public, not at home typing on the computer. There are practically no pedophiles (defined as predators who target prepubescent children) online. Sex acts between teens and adults facilitated by the Internet fall overwhelmingly into the "statutory rape" category. The teen, usually already troubled otherwise, knows he or she is meeting an adult for the purpose of consensual sex.

If you are worried about your children being molested, don't worry about strangers online. Worry about your father, your brother, your neighbor or your priest, because by the numbers that's almost always who does it -- somebody you trust. If you are worried about your child being abducted, take a careful look at your estranged spouse, because that's where that comes from.

A truly dangerous child abductor doesn't need to hatch a complicated plan involving the Internet when going to the park and claiming to have a lost puppy would still get the job done, but this sort of assault is vanishingly rare. When it happens it makes news, but news is by definition something that happens rarely. You hear about practically every stereotypical child abduction that happens anywhere. You don't hear about the approximately one in three girls who are molested by a family member or acquaintance before eighteen.

This is yet another instance of an idiot believing that technology is simultaneously the cause of and the solution to all life's problems. This isn't where the problem is, as demonstrated. The solution would require re-engineering the devices, and even so, if I were going to use a Wi-Fi access point for Evil™, I'd use a device that let me assign a random MAC address every time I connected anyway. Are we going to expensively rearchitect an entire industry to prevent something that almost never happens and, in most of the cases when it does, could have been better prevented by better parental communication?

4. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Yeah. :( At least they have to keep changing the imaginary enemy, but they can continuously reuse the children.

Exactly. You can't physically hurt a child over the internet (and identity theft doesn't really apply here, since children tend not to have credit cards). When a child is outside, s/he can be physically harmed by predators. Obviously, this means that we should be required to keep track of every single person who walks on the sidewalks!

5. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

This is what it boils down to. Let the government parent this children because the parents are unwilling or sadly incapable to do it themselves.

Just a side not to this
    Identity theft using kids is becoming more and more common because no one thinks to check and make sure the kids identity is safe.

6. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/15/earlyshow/living/ConsumerWatch/main1210020.shtml

I stand corrected. I guess it is becoming a problem for teens.

Regardless, this legislation won't magically protect kids from all the "child predators" on the internet.

Or it is a power grab by the government. Laws that are impossible to follow make everyone a criminal.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Agreed. All reasonable people know that distinction belongs to beer.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Actually, I thought it was alcohol in general...

9. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

such a mandate on home users sounds unconstitutional.