Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blvdeast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Cliffside Park, NJ
I just discovered the fact that I can play Sim City on my Mandrake box with wine. MY excitment was very great. I now want a linux dist. in my iBook so I can do the same with wine. I know Mandrake pretty well so that was my first choice, but I heard Yellow Dog is the top PPC Linux dsit. Like I said, it will only be used for running a few window games and programs that I miss.
Also, if I installed it, I need a partition, and will it format my hd, or can I just stick it in the back 5GB's?

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
blvdeast said:
I just discovered the fact that I can play Sim City on my Mandrake box with wine. MY excitment was very great. I now want a linux dist. in my iBook so I can do the same with wine. I know Mandrake pretty well so that was my first choice, but I heard Yellow Dog is the top PPC Linux dsit. Like I said, it will only be used for running a few window games and programs that I miss.
Also, if I installed it, I need a partition, and will it format my hd, or can I just stick it in the back 5GB's?

i've got some shocking news for you. WINE is an acronym, the words of that acronym are WINE IS NOT an EMULATOR... thus you cannot use WINE on PPC Linux. You can however run OS X applications through your linux install as well as all your favourite linux apps...

As for choice, i would definetely choose Mandrake over Yellowdog. it's a long time since YD held any ground in hardware compatibility. i used to spend a lot of time with the linuxppc crowd and you'll be served well there.

as for partitioning, you will need a seperate partition. as far i know there is no way to dynamically resize an hfs+ partition. backup, partition, recopy.

have fun and feel free to msg if you need a hand...

blvdeast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Cliffside Park, NJ
There goes all my dreams. Then there's no need to have linux on the iBook. Is there any known project for porting wine or a wine-like program to PPC? I know there's VPC, but it is slow, and I played Sim City like it was just like ME without the crashes?

justinshiding

macrumors member
May 7, 2004
Chicago, IL
Hmm... well I'm not amazingly versed in what software there is out for the mac (I don't even have one yet...keyword yet...anyways) For the pc I used partion magic when I installed red hat 9 so I wouldn't have to always work with xp. It let me shrink my hard drive partition for windows (from 20g to 15g on my small boot drive) and then push that partion "up" so that I could squeeze in room for linux's boot sector. I didn't have to reformat or reinstall a single thing..

Not much help ... since it's only for the pc...but...there might be something similar for the mac , maybe ?

Justin

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I don't know if any way to get your software to work, but if you do decide to go with linux, install gentoo. It doesn't matter what architecture you have, gentoo is so much better than everything else.

kenkooler

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Mexico City
There's a project called Darwine trying to port Wine to MacOS X together with the Bochs emulator. However, they haven't released any version to the public yet.

If you still wish to install Linux, try Yellow Dog, it's the best distro on PPC.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
well, if we're just making blind reconmendations i'll go with Linux from scratch

but seriously, judging by the way the question was asked and his experience Mandrake is probably the best way to go, suse is also fine if you're really into the 'i want my linux to be just like windows' thing. Followed by Gentoo and then lfs for the user who wants to learn a thing or two about what he's loading on his computer. i guess debian fits somewhere in between. debian gits somewhere inbetween i guess...

YDL is nothing more then prettiness factor. 2 years ago they supported hardware no other distro did, today everythings genki and ydl no longer has a place at the table.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.