Manhattan, NYC (AT&T Stores)

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by jamabam, Jun 19, 2010.

1. jamabam macrumors newbie

anyone planning to go to an AT&T store in manhattan on launch day?

2. pwb2103 macrumors member

Right now that is my plan (manhattan ATT store). But I didn't get to preorder/reserve/whatever. So i'm going to try to go to the one near 96th and broadway and ask whether they will be doing first come first serve or if it is like the apple store where there are two lines and anyone who reserved will be ahead of me in line.

Any idea what the biggest or best ATT store in Manhattan would be?

3. Robert1014 macrumors newbie

Call ahead

I live near the ATT Store at 95th & Broadway, (that's where I bought my iPhone 3G two years ago), but I'm in Jacksonville, Florida until June 27, visiting family. I called the local ATT store here at the beach (there are others in other parts of town) and asked if they would have a stock of iPhone 4Gs for people who had not pre-ordered. Their answer was NO---all iPhones allotted to ATT had sold out in pre-orders.

Either the woman I spoke with was mistaken, lying, or telling the truth. If she was telling the truth and not mistaken, does this apply to all ATT stores, or just hers? She sounded definitive, and I frankly don't understand how pre-orders could be sold out and there could still be iPhones available for sale to people just walking in the door.

My recommendation is that you contact the store--or several--and see what they say about availability of iPhones without a reservation.

4. jamabam thread starter macrumors newbie

see this is what is incredibly frustrating! there seems to be no consistent information out there. nothing on at&t's website, the blogs are so convoluted with info, and the store employees either have no idea what's going on and the ones that appear that they do all say different things!

i leave in midtown, so there are two at&t stores within 1 block of me. everyone i spoke with said they don't know how things are going to go down, gave me their business card and asked to contact them directly on the 23rd when they'll have more details. a few of them did say that there should be iPhone 4's available for walk-ins with no pre-orders... which makes sense since you couldn't pre-order for in-store pickup at at&t stores anyway.

5. MCooper macrumors newbie

ATT store by me said its going to have some and its first come first serve basis! I hope they arent lieing since I will be there at 5 am

6. pwb2103 macrumors member

Right now I'm planning to hit my ATT store (probably doing 95th and broadway) much earlier than 5am... the weather will probably decide how early I go though. 2 years ago I got to the same ATT store around 5am and just barely missed out on a 3g. ATT reps came out around 7am and counted us off to give me the bad news. Hoped on the subway, got in line at 5th ave apples store, and was out the door with my 3g by 9am.

7. jamabam thread starter macrumors newbie

by your experience, it sounds like lining up at an Apple store is the better choice anyway. i'm wondering if i should even bother with AT&T at this point. i mean there are so many mixed reports about them having a limited, if any at all, supply of phones.

8. pwb2103 macrumors member

well i guess ATT decided for us now that they aren't even selling ip4 in store until the 29th.

I'm going to call all the apple stores in manhattan and find out if they will sell an ip4 to an authorized user. I've heard that either they will or they won't on a store by store basis... hopefully at least one of the manhattan apples stores WILL

9. jamabam thread starter macrumors newbie

i was thinking the same thing: AT&T decided for us. this is such an incredible mess. so i guess the question is now: which Apple store in Manhattan? siiiiiiigh