Manning denied entry and banned permanently from entering Canada

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm guessing you weren't around for the Vietnam War.

3. Zenithal macrumors 604

4. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If you want out of a war try voting, not releasing classified info to get people killed.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

LOL..

PLEASE tell donald trump that.

:D

6. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not sure, probably depends how NAFTA turns out, wish Trudeau had some balls. Too busy doing his hair and taking selfies. Still preferable to having Clinton or Trump though.

7. Zenithal macrumors 604

It would be nice if Trump retired to Canada one day. Make a maple syrup empire, too.

8. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Why not? Canada welcomed all the Vietnam-era draft dodgers. And then they had kids there, and grandkids. And by now I wouldn't be surprised if 68% of you Canadians are descended from American draft dodgers. Donald Trump should be an honorary citizen of Canada. He evaded the Vietnam draft multiple times.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Don't leave sensitive government documents lying around and you'll be just fine.

10. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Meh, who cares? Chelsea is more than welcome in many places in her own country, where many of us know her as a hero. No need to go to a place like Canada.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't know what I know her as.

But a danger isn't the first thing that leaps to mind.

12. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Agreed. Pardon, or otherwise, she is still a traitor and a convicted felon by military tribunal.

13. 0007776 Suspended

Good to see that he isn't getting special treatment for being famous.

14. Zenithal macrumors 604

Correct. Just as Arpaio is scum guilty for his crimes.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Thousands of people with US criminal records are denied entry into Canada every year. The Canadian border service has a computer tie-in to the National Crime database maintained by the (US) FBI, so they can check to see if anyone attempting entry has a conviction of any sort. It's not unknown for people with misdemeanor convictions for DUI or marijuana possession to be denied entry to Canada.

There are workarounds for minor convictions (ie. the border officer can give a temporary entry permit.) But they certainly are unlikely to do so for anyone with a major felony conviction on their record. And Chelsea Manning wasn't pardoned. She simply had her sentence commuted. The original conviction remains part of her criminal record.

16. Zenithal macrumors 604

Wait, so does that mean we can't deport that little **** that came here and became a singer?

17. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

He's denied entry to Canada. Canadians ain't daft ye know!

18. Zenithal macrumors 604

I'm not sure what's bad. We're stuck with him or I thought he was a woman for six years.

19. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I thought you were talking about that idiot, Bieber.

20. Zenithal macrumors 604

I was... Oh you sly dog you. LOL

21. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I see what you did there!

22. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

More cracked crystal ball reporting from the conservative side? Any appeal has to go through the Public Safety Minister ( currently Ralph Goodale) and such a decision to overturn such an assessment is rare (from my experience). One possible appeal is on compassionate grounds and special conditions would apply that strictly limit the time, activity and locations the visitor could do/see. It usually means going back to a Canadian consulate first.

23. Zombie Acorn, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Trudeau already said he was going to look into it. He's already invited 6000+ economic refugees from war torn countries like the US, what else could go wrong.

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'll be honest and say that I take issue with many of my liberal friends on the subject of Chelsea Manning. Whatever your feelings on the issues of transgender rights (and opposition to the US war in Iraq) - I think she is a poor choice to hold up as an icon of wisdom and nobility.

I applauded President Obama's decision to commute her sentence, which had originally been absurdly harsh. There seemed little to gain from torturing to death an obviously troubled individual. And yet Manning seemed to go out of her way to avoid thanking Obama for this act of principled mercy.

As to her original crime? Whilst there were numerous serious problems with the US military adventure in Iraq, her decision to dump - wholesale - millions of classified US military and diplomatic documents was irresponsible at best. If Manning had been aware of specific acts of wrongdoing, she might have had moral (if not necessarily legal) grounds to reveal them to the wider world. But she did not, allowing herself to be used as a tool that ultimately benefited no-one other than Wikileaks and their Russian intelligence patrons. Her actions endangered thousands of innocent individuals all around the world who had been working with the US.

25. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Brad Manning? Please take him....let him go already. Worthless freak.