Man's rant about heightism

pshufd

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Height is a thing in dating. I have a friend, 5'6". Millionaire. Engineer. Artist as in practices and teaches. He can repair cars, washing machines and boats. He bought a boat for $200, repaired it and sold it for thousands. Very articulate. He was dating many years ago using dating sites and I was shocked that he couldn't find someone. He told me that height is a big problem and that everyone lies and uses 20 year old pictures. He eventually did meet a great lady and they've been together for many years.

I've seen complaints from a lot of Asian males in the 5'2" to 5'5" area on getting dates. Height is certainly one factor that can ding your attractiveness but you can certainly compensate with other personal attributes. Or you can look for shorter women as they are out there.

To some extent, meeting others is about them getting to know you without the anxiety of dating. That happens in the workplace, church, other meetings, etc. Height matters but so does BMI along with your financial situation and personality and grooming habits.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Heights matters only for ergonomics reasons. Very tall people and very short people know all to well things (beds, chairs, doorways, group pictures:D) aren't made with them in mind. Also in a nudist colony. People there don't like midgets; they get in people's hair. *rim shot*

If height is a factor in aesthetics, then whom ever you're dating is too shallow to be worth your time.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Clearly this guy has some psychiatric problems including paranoia around his height. This is evident in the second video when he talks about taking out his anger with a baseball bat and a tree. It’s kinda sad he’s been mocked for his height and now also his emotional problems.

I suspect his relationship problems have more to do with his short temper than his short stature.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Clearly this guy has some psychiatric problems including paranoia around his height. This is evident in the second video when he talks about taking out his anger with a baseball bat and a tree. It’s kinda sad he’s been mocked for his height and now also his emotional problems.

I suspect his relationship problems have more to do with his short temper than his short stature.
he did say it was a mini bat..................... mini like him :p

Reactions: DrewDaHilp1

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
A lifetime of frustration flooding out... I sincerely hope this guy gets support. He seems like he is suffering. I am 6' 2", and I do notice I get treated differently than shorter men.

JBGoode

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2018
If height is a factor in aesthetics, then whom ever you're dating is too shallow to be worth your time.
Let's face it, most of us can be called shallow since most of us have a 'type' that we're not interested in. People can't help who they are physically attracted to so I can't place blame there. I'm sure preference for height is probably genetically encoded in woman since the times when larger males were desirable for protection and procreation and the little guy wasn't going to cut it.

I do however think it's pretty lame if women have dated him with the foreknowledge that he was 5 feet tall and then dumped him for same reason. If it was a blind date and she didn't want to see him again because he was too short, then I'm okay with that and I'm a short guy. I've done the same to several 'larger' women I've been set up with in the past. Call me shallow but that just doesn't work for me.

I think this particular guy is a little unhinged and could probably benefit from some counseling.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Let's face it, most of us can be called shallow since most of us have a 'type' that we're not interested in. People can't help who they are physically attracted to so I can't place blame there. I'm sure preference for height is probably genetically encoded in woman since the times when larger males were desirable for protection and procreation and the little guy wasn't going to cut it.

I do however think it's pretty lame if women have dated him with the foreknowledge that he was 5 feet tall and then dumped him for same reason. If it was a blind date and she didn't want to see him again because he was too short, then I'm okay with that and I'm a short guy. I've done the same to several 'larger' women I've been set up with in the past. Call me shallow but that just doesn't work for me.

I think this particular guy is a little unhinged and could probably benefit from some counseling.
I think that we can remember times when women chased us around and we just weren't interested. There are genetically coded responses to women that we don't think about. I do recall reading some research articles about this stuff a long time ago.

It is nice to not have to worry about this stuff too.

Reactions: JBGoode

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
Take that anger and use it to create your own dating app for midgets. I believe height and weight should be the standard that is required on all apps. Then I think others should be able to rate you on your truthfulness (a rating system like Uber). Lying causes you to be banned from the app. I've had friends use these apps and find out the woman wasn't anywhere close to what they looked like (weight wise), maybe when they were 14, but not at 28.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Take that anger and use it to create your own dating app for midgets. I believe height and weight should be the standard that is required on all apps. Then I think others should be able to rate you on your truthfulness (a rating system like Uber). Lying causes you to be banned from the app. I've had friends use these apps and find out the woman wasn't anywhere close to what they looked like (weight wise), maybe when they were 14, but not at 28.
Will memberships be 1/2 off:p

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Never had a problem myself. Then again, I'm 6'4.

Edit: Actually, I had the inverse problem. From the time I began dating to the time I got married, I did have trouble finding a woman who was tall enough. I never had much interest in women who were short when other tall men did like short women. But that's it really.