Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

“Manual” Boot Camp on T2-Equipped Intel Macs

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Hi,

I’m used to mostly ignoring the Boot Camp Assistant application when setting up Windows as a secondary OS on my Macs. I would normally use Disk Utility to make the partition, manually acquire the Windows Support files, and make a bootable USB from the Windows ISO and reboot with Option.

On my new T2-equipped iMac I can manually acquire the Windows Support Files from a menu command in Boot Camp Assistant. I can create a bootable USB drive. I can turn down/off the Secure Boot options for alternative OSs or external devices. I cannot choose the correct partition scheme in Disk Utility. I can boot from the Windows USB drive, but the Windows Install wizard cannot see the internal SSD or it’s volumes or partitions.

Doing the sane thing and using Boot Camp Assistant for the whole process has worked, but the disk partition interface is sad. If I, for sake of obsession, want my Windows partition to be exactly 500GB, the closest I can get is 491 or 511. It’s silly but hey, it bothers me.

Does anyone have a tip on getting specific with partition sizes or just doing it manually like we used to? Thanks in advance.

casperes1996

macrumors 603
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Out of curiosity why do you want to do it "manually"?

As for the sizing, I'm pretty sure the reason that Bootcamp Assistant moves the sizing in the increments it does, has to do with optimising data alignment to the SSD chips for optimal performance and overhead minimisation

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2011
As for the sizing, I'm pretty sure the reason that Bootcamp Assistant moves the sizing in the increments it does, has to do with optimising data alignment to the SSD chips for optimal performance and overhead minimisation
If their is a technical reason or advantage, I don’t want to change it. It’s just obsessiveness that wants a clean 500GB delineation. Thanks for the insight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.