Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Link1010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hello. I have been looking for an answer to my question for about 5 hours now, and I've just about had it.

I have a macbook pro dual-booted with Mac OS X and Kali linux. However, now I would like to have windows 7 installed on it as well. So, I partition a portion of my SSD for windows (tried both NTFS and MS-DOS formats), but as soon as I boot up from my windows install DVD and try to do I clean install on my drive, it says it cannot use that drive as it has a GPT partition table so it cannot install. Does anyone know a work around to this? I know bootcamp supposedly does something to the partition to make windows think that it is a mbr partition, so is there anyway to manually do this? I'd rather not have to remove kali linux to use bootcamp to add windows. Also I have refit and refind installed.

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *960.2 GB disk0
1: Apple_HFS Macintosh SSD 860.0 GB disk0s1
2: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s2
3: EFI 20.3 GB disk0s3
4: Linux Swap 911.2 MB disk0s4
5: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 78.1 GB disk0s5

Please tell me what other info you would need to better asses this situation. Any help is appreciated.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hello. I have been looking for an answer to my question for about 5 hours now, and I've just about had it.

I have a macbook pro dual-booted with Mac OS X and Kali linux. However, now I would like to have windows 7 installed on it as well. So, I partition a portion of my SSD for windows (tried both NTFS and MS-DOS formats), but as soon as I boot up from my windows install DVD and try to do I clean install on my drive, it says it cannot use that drive as it has a GPT partition table so it cannot install. Does anyone know a work around to this? I know bootcamp supposedly does something to the partition to make windows think that it is a mbr partition, so is there anyway to manually do this? I'd rather not have to remove kali linux to use bootcamp to add windows. Also I have refit and refind installed.

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *960.2 GB disk0
1: Apple_HFS Macintosh SSD 860.0 GB disk0s1
2: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s2
3: EFI 20.3 GB disk0s3
4: Linux Swap 911.2 MB disk0s4
5: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 78.1 GB disk0s5

Please tell me what other info you would need to better asses this situation. Any help is appreciated.

The newer rMBPs will partition Boot Camp natively as GPT, because newer OSes now support UEFI booting.

Windows 7 has lousy UEFI/EFI support.

Use Windows 8/8.1 instead. I installed the UEFI version of Windows 8.1 natively without any problems. It runs far smoother than the BIOS version.

Link1010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The newer rMBPs will partition Boot Camp natively as GPT, because newer OSes now support UEFI booting.

Windows 7 has lousy UEFI/EFI support.

Use Windows 8/8.1 instead. I installed the UEFI version of Windows 8.1 natively without any problems. It runs far smoother than the BIOS version.

I have a windows 8 install disk, but upon installation, I get the exact same error as with windows 7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.