Many Apple Store Customers Can’t Tell The New iPad Apart From The iPad 2...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MonkeySee...., Mar 20, 2012.

1. homeboy macrumors 6502

Rubbish example. The didn't open a webpage, play a HD video or show a PDF file.

Its like comparing a Ferrari and a Miata without turning the key.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Posted before.

As mentioned, a bullsh example. It's a setup to get the result they want.

Let people hold it. Open ibooks. Put up a website or an email with minimum font size set to small and then you have something worthwhie.

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I'm so sick of these "retina display is no better" posts. I really am.

Everyone bitched and moaned because the first 2 didn't have it. Now that the third one has it, it's suddenly not good enough.

Let's give it a rest.

4. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

In other news, many Apple customers are blind.

5. silversun macrumors newbie

silversun

The Retina screen is noticeable but holding it too far is not really much different from Ipad 2's screen. Only by playing HD games that you could tell the real difference.
    Moreover, I see that many users tend apply anti-fingerprint screen protectors on the Ipad for easier use. These screen protectors tend to lower the image quality significantly...So, Retina or Non-Retina screen isn't much of a big deal...At least for me!

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The problem is that the iPad 2 screen is not bad to begin with. Yes, I notice the difference, but casual users may not. You need to have some good, practical examples, like an ebook or some pictures that can be compared side by side.

7. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

This. My husband couldn't see the difference until I opened up some photos taken with DSLR on new iPad and iPad 2 side by side and showed him the increased clarity and detail.

8. elmz macrumors regular

I completely agree with you. Although the new display was the big selling point for the new iPad, in that situation it can be difficult to tell them apart. If the conditions where properly done, the results would have been different.

9. zurichuk macrumors regular

My old iPad had a retina display until i got my eyes tested and discovered I needed glasses. :mad:
    At least NOW I can tell the difference.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Ironically, by definition, holding the various iPads at their "retina" distances, most people should not be able to see the raw difference in pixels.

:)

11. VFC macrumors 6502a

I was at a Best Buy this weekend, and within 20 minutes, three people (young couple and a college professor) came up, looked at iPad for a few minutes and said it wasn't much better than their iPad 2 and they were not buying one. So I can believe the videos.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This reminds me of Jay Leno and "Jaywalking" where he walks around asking people who the vice president of the United States is, and they go "ummmmmmmm......" :rolleyes:

13. Akack macrumors 6502a

Side by side there is a huge difference, if you don't see it obviously stick with the iPad 2.

14. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I think it's because a lot of people either don't have particularly good eyesight or else have a low standard of what they consider 'good enough'.

Perhaps they haven't looked that far beyond the homescreen when demoing the new iPad where you're not going to really get the full benefit of the screen for text etc.

It does irritate me though because the new screen really is amazing.

15. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Agreed!! My wife has an iPad 2 and the screen is not bad at all!!

16. vinyl313 macrumors member

I call BS

I've had the new iPad since Friday and gave my iPad 2 to my mom. I went to use her iPad to install an app for her and the pixels are glaringly obvious. It looks like a textured photoshop layer on top of the screen.

I don’t get how people are not seeing the difference which is huge. On the new iPad, even super close to the display, you’d be hard pressed to see pixels.

17. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I see a difference.I don't for a second consider it "huge". I'd classify it more as incremental.

18. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Bad analogy - more like it's comparing a V6 Mustang to a V8 Mustang.

19. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

A more accurate comparison would be between a Fiat 500 & Abrath.
    The difference are subtle & not jaw dropping.

20. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

If you are viewing text in a small font size, the only way to miss the tremendous difference is if your seeing-eye dog is looking the other way.

21. Doc69 macrumors 6502

I'm a perfectionist in general who have craved (and owned) high resolution displays for as long as I've been involved with computers (almost 30 years now). For me, there is a HUGE difference in the display quality between the iPad 2 and 3. I thought the iPad 2 display was so bad (for reading) that I ended up giving it away.

Now with the new iPad however, I'm extremely happy. The new retina display is a marvel to look at, just like the iPhone 4/4S. I'm finally totally happy and will never crave a higher PPI.

However, I also realize that most people aren't like me. Heck, I know people who really can't tell a difference between the two displays. For them, they don't care about font rendering etc. As long as they can make out a sentence, that's good enough for them. It's like, yeah, I can see this one is sharper, but I don't care as I can read the text on either one.

So what I'm saying is that people are VERY different. And a lot of people just don't appreciate the finer things in life. But for the rest of us, the new iPad display is as good as it gets and a true milestone for the computer industry.

22. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I didn't watch those videos but I believe it. My friend called me up earlier and says he went to the Apple store to see the new iPad and he can't see a difference from his, ahem, iPad 1 lol, and that he didn't think it's that much thinner. :rolleyes: I told him to go back and see it again to make sure he wasn't looking at the iPad 2, which my store has on display along side the iPad 3, and if he still thinks it looks the same as his iPad 1 to go check his vision.

The difference is clear as night and day to me, and my eyes are not that great after years of staring at computer screens. Each time I pick it up I marvel at the crisp text. Can't go back to my 2 any more. I think I can skip the next gen.

23. VFC, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

VFC macrumors 6502a

I experienced a similar thing with our new LED LCD TV. I purchased a high-end model to replace an old DLP TV. The screen specs were far superior to the old DLP set and the 1 1/2" thick TV mounted on the wall looked very sexy. I was blown away by the picture quality. However, when my wife watched it for the first time, she was unimpressed. She was more interested in the ease of use and if it could receive additional channels. In fact, she drives me nuts because she still watches the SD channels on the hi-def cable box because she is familiar with the channel numbers.

My wife reads all the time using an early model Kindle. The screen is small and she has the fonts set to the largest size, so only a few sentences are on the screen at a given time. I'm sure if I bought her an iPad, she would not be impressed by the small, highly readable text, and the ability to display a whole book page at a time. Odds are she would crank up the font size; taking away the advantage over the iPad 2.

So I learned from experience that it is not always just about the technology and looks. Some people favor function far more than form. So until there are apps that can utilize the hi-res display to an extent that it adds significant new (not just improved) functionality, many people won't be impressed.

24. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

The difference is night & day only if you have the new iPad inches from your face but who realistically looks at a 10" screen that close? :confused:

When current iPad owners that are of sound mind with no agenda think about upgrading an iPad, they look to Steve on the appropriate viewing distance to hold an iPad, in which the differences between the new iPad and older iPad's are minute.

I challange anyone to use Steve's viewing distance as the benchmark to compare all versions of the iPad's and honestly say there is a HUGH difference.

[​IMG]