Many consumers think 2012 MacBook Air 11-inch is better than 13-inch version

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I love how so many reporters write articles on technical topics like computers, yet illustrate their lack of understanding of the basics:
The upper-end models of both devices come with 4GHz of RAM, but can be configured for more. It is not advisable to get either unit without at least 4GHz RAM.
Even if this is a simple typo, I see too many articles on computer-related topics written by reporters who clearly don't understand fully what they're writing about.

shamash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2008
Taichung, Taiwan
It is so light that you can put it in your purse or bag and forget it is even there. It is perfect for those who are always on the go and need to use their computers while at lunch, at the gym, or even on a carnival ride.
BRB getting on the ferris wheel.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Even if this is a simple typo, I see too many articles on computer-related topics written by reporters who clearly don't understand fully what they're writing about.
It is not a simple typo, it demonstrates both a lack of comprehension AND the inability to do the minimum amount of research. And the failure of the editor to submit the article for any sort of technical review. Ignoring the Hz vs Byte stupidity for a moment...

The base model MBA comes with 4GB of RAM. so the author's recommendation to ensure you get at least 4GB of RAM is kind of idiotic. At least he could have spent 30 sec and browsed to Apple's website to find out the minimum specs.

So if he didn't research that basic bit of information, it means that he probably made everything else up as well.

idiotic columnist said:
The main difference between the 11-inch and 13-inch units is that the 13-inch unit has an SD card slot on the rear right of the unit.
Really? Cause I think the main difference is the screen dimensions and the size/weight of the case.

Deadline must have been ticking, and he filled his column with drivel.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Writers for examiner.com are many things, but certainly not journalists. They generally regurgitate material from other places. Since there's no link to the CNN story we have no idea what he's actually talking about.

And neither does he.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
how about the premise the 11 inch is better than the 13? what do you think? do people want the 11 inch mba but buy the 13 inch mba to be more practicable. does the 11 inch have the cool factor?

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
how about the premise the 11 inch is better than the 13? what do you think? do people want the 11 inch mba but buy the 13 inch mba to be more practicable. does the 11 inch have the cool factor?
I've owned both. My 13 was replaced by my Retina, and the 11 replaced an iPad. Both served very different needs. The 11 looks a bit cooler closed, but the 13 looks better open - there's considerably more workspace on the screen between the larger screen and higher resolution.

I don't think I'd want the 11 as a main laptop. Of course it's just fine in clamshell mode with an external monitor. Both are more than adequate for typical office tasks of spreadsheets, email, word processing and web. Indeed, both are more powerful than the computers we use in our office!

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Many consumers can think whatever they want... but at the time of purchase, YOU should get whatever fits YOUR needs and budget the best way possible. :) Different people have different needs...

Last edited:

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
if you need the smallest mac laptop possible, the 11-inch IS better than the 13-inch. That said I feel the 11-inch is just too small for me to be a primary computer.

lowbelly

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Love my 11". When you max it out, it's only a few bucks cheaper than the 13" maxed out, but I wanted the smallest thing I could get. I've been training myself to use full-screen apps.