Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
... what about the Review sites, engadget, gizmodo, NYT etc.

From what I've read so far the reviews are very positive, not a derogatory statement made about the updates in general, not a negative point even about the13" MBP ....

Is it just us? Does Apple pay these guys, (joke) ... it does seem like most people outside this forum are quite excited about the updates ... 13" MBP included ... not a mention of the missed update to the MBA either ...

I don't get it...

BUT, I did order a Sony Z ... and likely after using it for two weeks I'll "get it" and put the Z on eBay and go back to my 13" MBP and give it a hug :)

I swore I'd never buy a Sony product again after my last SZ ... I do want a powerful sub notebook computer, that's powerful on it's own and just as fast when hooked up to a large monitor and under load, 3D drawing, video editing etc ... Sony Z is about the only choice I could think of....

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I'm VERY VERY VERY happy with my 17" i7 2.66GHz mbp as it feels so much faster than my 2.8GHz 15" core 2 duo machine!

It really feels like I'm running a mac pro desktop (maybe a little help from the intel SSD) but I've ran the intel SSD on the 2.8GHz core 2 duo machine as well and it wasnt nearly as snappy!

I feel like I FINALLY got a true desktop replacement. Its insane for a laptop to score around 6200 on geekbench as I remember my 1st gen 2.66GHz 4 core XEON Mac Pro used to score 5500-5800!

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
I'm VERY VERY VERY happy with my 17" i7 2.66GHz mbp as it feels so much faster than my 2.8GHz 15" core 2 duo machine!

It really feels like I'm running a mac pro desktop (maybe a little help from the intel SSD) but I've ran the intel SSD on the 2.8GHz core 2 duo machine as well and it wasnt nearly as snappy!

I feel like I have truly have a desktop replacement. Its insane for a laptop to score around 6200 on geekbench as I remember my 1st gen 2.66GHz 4 core XEON Mac Pro used to score 5500-5800!

I honestly can't wait for my machine to arrive.
I'm getting the same configuration (2.66ghz i7 128ssd) I'm sure it'll be worth it. I'm getting Logic Studio as well, that was really a main reason for my wait!

silversx

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
im bummed theres no ix in 13mbp.. but glad for the nice new video card.. double ram.. for 1099 not bad as a portable secondary machine.. the new mag safe is kinda hard to use.. the L shaped one.. guess i'll get used to it

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Hey do you own multiple computers / notebooks ... ever thought off ...

If you have and use a number of computers have you ever thought of just scaling it down to just one machine? Or, at least one main machine and perhaps a second 'always on computer' for downloads, back up etc....

From Mac Pro's to MBP's, MBA's and now the iPad is on the scene ... wow electronics all sizes/shapes everywhere.

I'll read a post here now and again about people tired of juggling files and computers and wanting to go back to one main machine.

Have you ever considered that, if so why or why not?

My question is - If you had to choose and work from one computer only what would you choose?

I'd choose the 15" MBP ... the downside to that is it's just a little heavy on the lap, you'll notice it in the bag more than an ultra-portable and for screen size it's big but not big enough compared to a 24" display.

Instead maybe I'd choose a small/ultra portable, maybe even the 13" MBP and hook it up to a 24" ACD ... or even a Sony, Lenovo x301 with an external display. That gives you the best of both worlds, light computer on the go, desktop size/power when you need it...

Six of us in my office are heavy mac/gadget buyers, the ones who have iPads are retiring them to eBay ... like me they create content on the go .. great little device just not for our work...

It's funny this influx of new gadgets has some of us thinking of going the other way ... trimming down ...

Just a laptop, external monitor and iPhone - Simple.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I honestly can't wait for my machine to arrive.
I'm getting the same configuration (2.66ghz i7 128ssd) I'm sure it'll be worth it. I'm getting Logic Studio as well, that was really a main reason for my wait!

All I can say to you is that when using your new i7 mbp your going to be thinking about my comment of saying to you right now that you will be in AWE of how fast this machine is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.