Many thought Siri will be a major selling point for iPad 4, now what?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by coolwater, Jun 23, 2012.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

So, Apple is giving us Siri with iOS 6 soon. Now, what do you think will be major selling points for iPad 4? Personally, only thing I still want on my iPad 3 is better front facing camera.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

We'll probably see a better CPU and GPU, maybe higher capacity and iOS7.

3. Scottyee macrumors regular

iPad 4: how about a thinner and lighter retina display iPad + longer battery life, , 128 Gb memory, an even faster processor, and more Ram?
    Though I'm certainly 2012 happy with my iPad 3, I'd probably upgrade to an iPad 4 for those features. :)

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I see the "iPad 4" being the equivalent jump as the iPhone 4->4S was. Minus the Siri difference. The 2 and 3 are pretty much the same performance-wise..the 3 is as fast as the 2 and the extra processors and GPUs inside are for the extra pixels on the screen. The 4 would probably be just a performance boost and hopefully a camera improvement too. An LED flash would be nice :)

5. Che Castro macrumors 603

How about the ipad being as thin as paper?

Maybe ipad 10

6. slicecom macrumors 68020

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

New design, new processor, higher capacity, FaceTime hd camera, cool new accessory(maybe pressure sensitive stylus), and revolutionary weight decrease.

That would make the perfect iPad for 2013 IMO. I'd definitely buy it!

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

new design as in thinner? or new design as in new design?

I'm pretty sure thinner will be an obvious bet, and maybe those Sharp IGZO technology?

9. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Faster CPU/GPU.
    More memory. (2GB would be very nice. 4GB should be good enough for several years. )
    Faster charging.
    Print to PDF.
    More precise and faster digitizer.
    Pressure sensitive digitizer.
    Better cameras.

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

11. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Microsoft is going to do a HUGE push for their Windows 8 tablets before the next iPad comes out.

I'm really curious how Apple will react.

I think Apple may have to work harder than just shaving a millimeter or pushing a few more frames-a-second.

12. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

13. taedouni macrumors 65816

Think thinner iPad, larger battery, quad core CPU to go with that upgraded GPU.

14. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I don't think Microsoft's W8 tablets will cause Apple to react to anything. Let's face it, Apple pretty much has the iPad 4 specs/design already figured out. A few final details is all that needs to be fleshed out.

I don't think Microsoft has anything novel that will force Apple to react and change their design path.

Now, if the W8 tablets are a huge advancement, then maybe, that's the only thing that will have Apple reacting. But I doubt that they'll have anything earth-shattering.

ft

15. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

With the iPad 3, Apple had to use plan B on the screens which required heavier batteries. I'm looking forward to a lighter device without the large bezel around the screen taking up visual space.

16. iEvolution macrumors 65816

new update ideas

Others have already stated but I'll put my two cents in:
    • faster processor (true quad core processor)
    • more memory
    • new size, smaller separate model or maybe even larger to the current model
    • improved battery life
    • different form factor (as in differently designed casing)
    • anti reflective screen that does not sacrifice smoothness
    • full integrated itunes "lite" allowing smart playlist creation and id tag modifications on the fly
    • higher capacity, 128 gb should be affordable enough by now to fit the current pricing of the 64 gb as flash memory has gotten cheaper since the introduction of the 64gb capacity in the ipod touch 3 years ago! we haven't seen a capacity bump in years and quite frankly a device as complex and beautiful as the iPad needs this update, in fact it should have happened with the ipad 3.
    • price changes, 16 gb dropped, 32 gb @ 500$, 64 gb @ 600, 128 gb @ 700 (750?) Obviously wifi only pricing.
    • improvement in signal strength
    • user accounts allowing for switching profiles for family members for their own work space and customization
    • new improved gpu

There is plenty of ideas they can come up with and they have a professional team to come up with ideas.

17. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Siri? Pffffft

Look up the upcoming Cortex A15 core for 2013 processing power. How does 40% more performance per clock sound (over an A9).

Then look up PowerVR Rogue for the nextgen GPU that will likely end up in the next iPad.

There's a reason why I'm holding steady with my iPad 2.

;)

18. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Lettuce wait until we see what the iPhone 5 brings, I would bet any money it is going to be something revolutionary, and will also be added to the next gen iPad.

19. Che Castro macrumors 603

If your planning on selling your iPad 3 to buy the 4 is the best time in January/feb ? Or a few weeks before the ipad 4 announcement is ok?

20. stroked Suspended

stroked

Your way too optimistic.

21. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

I'd like to see the screen being closer to the glass. Also, whilst the resolution is great, i feel that the screen is missing that wow factor that you get with SAMOLED.

22. iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

23. cube macrumors G5

If it doesn't come out this year, 32nm will be old tech.

Then I would demand:

- 28nm quad core CPU
    - 4GiB RAM
    - 128GiB storage
    - Global LTE

I didn't buy the iPad 2 because of the lack of retina.
    I didn't buy the iPad 3 because of the old silicon tech, American LTE, unimproved storage since iPad 1.

But now Apple has obsoleted the iPad 1, so what I should do is go Android.

24. Reddkryten macrumors 6502

Remember all those rumours of the iPad 3 having a haptic screen? That could be fun.

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Obvious things that will always be worked upon

CPU Speed
    GPU Speed
    Memory Capacity
    Connectivity
    Improve the poor WiFi technology (Not sure it's proper N speeds even with iPad3)
    Battery Life
    Wireless recharging
    Stereo speakers
    Quality of Camera's
    Quality/Technology of Screen
    Construction materials
    Weight
    Size (larger/smaller variations)

They are most of the nuts and bolts basic things that can always be changed without fundamentally affecting what the device is.

After that you are down to the software, or add-ons/accessories.

Allowing Bluetooth games controllers (this is simple, would cost nothing and is only being blocked by Apple deliberately at the moment)

You could think a little outside the box:
    3D capable screen option.
    Build in projector for beaming an image onto a wall.
    A soft bezel so the screen goes to the edge of the unit, but can display a bezel when needed as opposed to a thick, pretty ugly physical border around the device.
    And I'm sure many more that are more fantasy than reality for some years yet.