Maps make or break for iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by revevev, Sep 21, 2012.

1. revevev macrumors newbie

I'm going to return my new iphone and buy a Samsung S3. Maps today led me into St Anns (A rough estate in Nottingham UK) where I nearly got stabbed. Apple need to sort this new software. Gonna get someone killed. Can I get compensation for this? Someone will.

Apple are really going downhill. Big shame. Ah well theyve lost a customer. Anyone want a new iphone 5 white 16gb, £600?

2. benmandv macrumors newbie

Google maps best return otherwise I'll return mine too. Especially with these scuff gate, and yellow gate issues!!

3. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I love the apple fanboy response to your post.

you should know where your going, you shouldnt need GPS.

4. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

There are countless other gps apps, some of which are free to take the place of apples new maps. By all means switch to the s3, its a great phone, but its a pretty weak reason to do so.

5. iRabbit macrumors 6502

That or just use http://maps.google.com on the phone. I'm keeping that handy for a while. LOL

6. ginwrak macrumors member

have a easy solution for you before toss it away.

you can get google maps on the iPhone 5 and here is how.

1) open up safari
    2) type in: maps.google.com
    3) add maps to home screen

now you have a temp solution to the problem. Remember Google did submit their Map app to Apple and it's pending approval. no idea when it'll be approved.

there is really no need for bashing one other. just provide a solution.

let me know if this works for you.

7. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Precisely, theres so many solutions to the problem. Be nice if google added turn by turn to their upcoming maps app, i doubt it tho.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

9. revevev thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, the fact that one can spend over £600 on a product and at least expect it to perform equally to an older model, is obviously a non-issue.

I don't know why people feel the need to defend a multi-billion dollar company who have had plenty of opportunity to get this right.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

No, this is an inability to think for yourself and reeks of the "I drove into a lake so I'm suing TomTom because I didn't actually look where I was going." Additionally, how the hell are either Google or Apple supposed to know what's a bad area in your city? Your "Google maps wouldn't have taken me on this route" comment is interesting...Did you look at an actual map or did you just blindly follow the GPS? GPS is nice and helpful, but solely relying on it is about as wise as letting Word auto-correct a document you're working on without reviewing it.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not sure you understand how GPS works. There's no feature for "route around bad parts of town".

So if he was unsure of the nature of the neighborhood but asked any GPS to take him there, it still would. So the statement still stands.

12. iTouchIt macrumors regular

+1

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Oh, and I'm not buying that he almost got stabbed. Exaggeration for the sake of drama I'm sure.

14. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

It does perform equally. You didnt even have turn by turn natively until wednesday!

Im not defending anyone, the maps app is rubbish, but its a small temporary issue thats easily fixed.

15. tcung82 macrumors member

u dislike the phone because of an application on it displeases u? how about u just download a different map app? and if u dont like the apple maps, google is going to release their map app soon. be a man.

16. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Ordered two phones. One did not come in.

About to cancel the 2nd one due to Google Maps. I want it!

17. darster Suspended

I don't need it. Got a navigation system in my Audi and works much better than google maps.

18. thenamesbryce macrumors newbie

Not trying to jump into the middle of your argument here, but just wanted to point out that he stated that it took him 43 miles further than he needed to go.

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I noticed that, but was arguing the responders statement.

20. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You guys are hilarious! :rolleyes:

21. Random hero macrumors regular

Random hero

How do you know what route google would have sent you?

How do you expect the phone to know its a rough area?

If you know its a rough estate, why did you go through it?

St Anns, in fairness you're more likely to get shot than stabbed.

22. revevev thread starter macrumors newbie

I previously had an iphone 3gs and when I needed to get to Derby before, it did not take me through the estates of Nottingham.

I didn't expect the phone to know it's a rough area, I just expected it not to take me on a 43 mile detour. Fair?

I didn't particularly know it was a rough area until I had a confrontation with three males whilst just kindly asking for directions. BUT I know now that it is a rough area so I'll mark that down onto my AA road map*. Also fair?

*Purchased after said incident. I recommend it, better value than the Iphone at £5. Good battery life too.

23. txflyfish macrumors member

in all honesty google lead me to a "rough" part of san francisco...i was so embarrassed. 3 blocks of shame

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Visting Castro district were you? :p

25. Deako macrumors 6502

Stabbed? I'm surprised you werent shot. Car jacked, and left for dead.

In all honesty though, with all the bad press, i cant understand anyone attempting to rely on Apple Maps at this stage in its life. I have the free Sat Nav 2 application on my iPhone, which uses Open Street Map and apart from the odd occasion, does a decent job at navigation.