Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Anyone else notice the satellite imagines are very very old? At least 2+ years in the Orlando area. Google maps has images that were updated in the last 2-3 months. A bit disappointing. :(

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Anyone else notice the satellite imagines are very very old? At least 2+ years in the Orlando area. Google maps has images that were updated in the last 2-3 months. A bit disappointing. :(

Never put much thought into it. Where I live the Google Maps are about 3 years old. Haven't even thought about checking the Maps app.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

Apple Maps doesn't even have a neighborhood that has been built for 10+ years near me.

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
Not working at all!

Maps is not even worki at all in my computer. Is there a way to fix it?

I click on the icon, it launches, but nothing happens. No window. When I select from the menu "new window" the app crashes.

What could this be?

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Mine's within the past year. I see some construction projects which are ongoing on maps but have since finished presently.

Anyway is it that important to have a really updated map??? As far as I know most roads don't change even in highly urbanised areas.

hoosier205

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
I cannot figure out how to send directions from within Maps from my Macbook Pro to my iPhone.

childs12111

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Minneapolis
I cannot figure out how to send directions from within Maps from my Macbook Pro to my iPhone.

I too can't get directions sent. Someone said that in the release notes, it states that some users can't send, however I have a customer seed and didn't get to see the release notes...can anyone confirm?

fromwayback

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012

I click on the icon, it launches, but nothing happens. No window. When I select from the menu "new window" the app crashes.

What could this be?

I got my maps to work after I solved a font conflict that what was crashing my maps app on start up. I was having an issue with Safari not displaying some fonts.

How I fixed the Font conflict? I used Font Explorer X to clear my font cache and restarted.

Hope this helps.

davemc67

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010

What could this be?

I found on my mid 2010 MBP that maps wouldn't load when dynamic switching of graphics was enabled, when I used gfx card status to select either discrete or integrated graphics maps would load

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
Maps works for me, but the send to my iPhone feature doesn't. It sends it off and my phone never gets it. Tested this on a couple of different machines.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I really like the simplicity of 10.9 Maps. Google Maps just feels same damn bloated in comparison.

That said, Apple maps doesn't zoom in very far - can't get close enough for the detail you find in Google Maps. That's almost a deal breaker for me.

Where exactly is this maps app located? I can't find it :confused:
Should be right on your dock. If not, check the Apps folder.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Mine is the opposite.

Google maps = shows fabric banners we had up for my partners birthday 4 years ago.

Apple maps = shows furniture we purchased 6 months ago.

(This is in San Diego, in the center of the city).

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

Attachments

• Maps.jpg
    Maps.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 759

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I really like the simplicity of 10.9 Maps. Google Maps just feels same damn bloated in comparison.

That said, Apple maps doesn't zoom in very far - can't get close enough for the detail you find in Google Maps. That's almost a deal breaker for me.

Should be right on your dock. If not, check the Apps folder.

Maps is in Applications. The icon looks like the one below.

Thanks guys.. It's also in launchpad :)

Dazzlew

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
I found on my mid 2010 MBP that maps wouldn't load when dynamic switching of graphics was enabled, when I used gfx card status to select either discrete or integrated graphics maps would load
Thanks, I'll try this. Maps has been unresponsive for me till now.

jaycarroll

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Denville, NJ
I too can't get directions sent. Someone said that in the release notes, it states that some users can't send, however I have a customer seed and didn't get to see the release notes...can anyone confirm?

There's no sending that I've seen, it simply shows under 'recent' in iOS 7 maps, much like iCloud tabs.

activate

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
No point offering an outdated product is there?

IMO Google will always be ahead of the game with regards to Maps, it's something that they heavily focus on whereas it's a secondary thing for Apple.

Perhaps, but apple's maps and the increasing integrative options are not a bad second. Neither of them can beat tom-tom in my opinion. I'm referring to the app.

HarryAinslie

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2011
Doncaster, England, UK
Perhaps, but apple's maps and the increasing integrative options are not a bad second. Neither of them can beat tom-tom in my opinion. I'm referring to the app.

I agree with Tom-Tom being the best there yet with regards to navigation, however i reckon if google were to sharpen their saw and fine tune their Maps app, i think it could be in there fighting for top spot!

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I agree with Tom-Tom being the best there yet with regards to navigation, however i reckon if google were to sharpen their saw and fine tune their Maps app, i think it could be in there fighting for top spot!

Just comment on which Navigation app is better IMO it's Garmin. Now Tom-Tom does have the overall mapping better but the design of the navigation and UI are better on Garmin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.