Marathons for women only, problem is men win them

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...5494281497754618.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read

So the answer has been, give the women a head start, don't award trophies to men, and have all other rewards be overtly feminine. Of course the race promoters have to let men run else face possible discrimination suits and such.

Still, I would love to see Budweiser or someone associated nearly exclusively with men to try to hold a "Men only race" and see how far it gets before the screaming drowns it out.

2. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Huh, all kinds of things are gender spicific especually sports, I wish I could join the womens vollyball team. At least be their 'towel boy' ;)

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Why would anyone want to enter a sporting event intended for the opposite gender only?

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Quite.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

As one of these jokers put it,

Idiot. :rolleyes:

6. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

because we are all "equal"

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From the article...

"...I would have been slaughtered in [the race] if it were an all-men's field," ~ douche male​

Not being able to stand out within your own gender causes some males to resort to desperate measures.

Some buy muscle cars... some run in women's races...

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

So why is it that if it were a woman wanting to compete in a men-only race, we'd hear no end of the cries of discrimination, coupled with nonstop "you go grrrlll!", yet when the positions are reversed, the guy is a douche? Bit of a double standard you've got going on there.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Two things...

1. If you read the article, you'd notice that men were not forbidden from the race. It may be intended for women, but men are allowed to participate.

2. The douchey aspect is the desire to win something... anything... even if it means competing against (normally) lesser competition. If that's what it takes to make you feel like a winner, then you are a douche.

10. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

If you haven't before, you may enjoy reading up on Kathrine Switzer.

[​IMG]

11. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Point taken, but that was the 60s.

The article which you incorrectly assumed I failed to read also stated with numerous examples that everything short of running afoul of law is done to discourage men from participating. Such behavior speaks to the larger issue at hand, namely examination of the meme that female encroachment on [traditionally] male space is to be lauded, but male encroachment on [traditionally] female space is to be chastised.

From the article:
    Kindly explain how such white-knight behavior is considered being a douche. Or extrapolate from the information given in the article how Mr. Mederos was really there to prove he's tougher than a bunch of women.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Was his princess running right behind him? If so, why didn't he slow down a step and let his princess win as a gentleman would?

I suspect the White Knight dashed ahead, leaving the princess in his dust in his douchey desire to land first place.

I hope the tiara fit nicely.

Some white knight.

Chivalry is dead. :rolleyes:

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Such as suffrage, pay equality, sexual discrimination......

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Treating people as equals really sucks doesn't it.

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Are you of the impression that women and men are of median physical equality?

16. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I think sometimes people (strangely, it's most often straight white males) work too hard to apply pure logic to everything. It's the like guy that won't open doors for women because "If they want equality, they should do it themselves!"

Okay, while you're not wrong, you're still a complete boner. :p

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You might have something there...

• From now on The Special Olympics will be open to all athletes.

• The Scripps National Spelling Bee will no longer limit its contestants to students who haven't yet completed the eighth grade.

• Mr. Universe will change its judging criteria for perfect pectorals to include 36DD women's breasts.​

What a wonderful world it would be. :rolleyes:

18. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

There used to be a time when lots of men couldn't vote, either. And I'm not just referring to blacks in this country. You had to be a property owner/landholder. Then again, women have had the right to vote here since before my grandfather was born, so that's rather a moot point in this context, unless you're of the opinion that all men under the age of 80 owe all women under the age of 80 for something that was going on before anyone under the age of 80 was alive.

As for pay equality, study after study after study has shown that the so called pay gap has nothing to do with a vast conspiracy of evil bad men trying to hold women down, and everything to do with the choices that individual women make with regards to their careers. But you're right, when I have children, I'd love to be able to take time off from work, get paid for it, then come back as though I'd never left.

Here's some discrimination for you:
    [​IMG]
    Are you with me, .Andy, in calling for more women coal miners so we can get the workplace fatality gap up to parity where it belongs?

I'm certainly not arguing that, as I'm well aware of the fact that we are a sexually dimorphic species. Every girl who has ever tried out for a boys' sports team, however, might be of that impression.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

How many women were property/landowners in the time when these poor men were being discriminated against?

*citations required*

I think you'll find in reality it's far more complex than you try and project. It's multifactorial and depends on where one lives, what job they work, and what age groups you look at. But you can try and paint it as nothing all you like...

Oh I see. It's all the women's fault for having children and expecting too much on their return to work.

All this demonstrates is that you don't understand what sexual discrimination is. That's not sexual discrimination against men. Unless you can explain how the men are being discriminated against by women to work more dangerous jobs :confused:.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

21. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Based on biology, there are gender-specific advantages. In the marathon, the world record time for men is 2 hours 3 minutes and 59 seconds, compared to 2 hours 15 minutes and 25 seconds for women. Clearly, many men will be smoked by women in a mixed-gender race. However, in general, the first person across the finish line will be a man. In an event that caters to women, having a male cross the finish line looks bad, for the event and the man.

And yes, the quotes of the guys in the article are douchey.

22. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I'll dig up links when I have the time to do so; I've got somewhere to be this morning. I will say now, though, that the methodology in arriving at the pay gap statistic is flawed in that it compares the aggregates of all wages across all fields to arrive at whatever the popular number is (last I heard it was around 80%).

As choices have consequences, then yes, if anyone, male or female, should choose to leave the workforce for a period of time, then they should expect to not be as far advanced in terms of raises, position, et al, compared to a peer who chugged on through with no such break. It doesn't matter if it's having a child or backpacking around Europe. But the fact is that protections exist for one gender and largely not another (the few jurisdictions where paternity leave is offered it's nowhere near as generous as government mandated maternity leave), and that is discriminatory no matter how you slice it. The only area of which I am aware of gender parity with respect to leaving your job for a time is if you're called away for military service.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd imagine that like travelling having a child teaches you new (and useful) skills that you wouldn't have learnt at work - so it shouldn't give too much of a salary cut - though obviously if you stay out of the industry too long you'll lose other industry based skills.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I look forward to these citations and the answer to the other two questions I posed you.

25. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

let me give u a scenario

high paced legal office is the setting

2 employees

man age 28 law degree/married/1 child
    women age 28 law degree/married/expecting
    both started working around the same time 1 year experience total

1 during the period of pregnancy the woman takes off like 6months to 8months
    2. during this time, the man works his ass off, long hours/weekends sacrificed
    doing the boss favors, scoring new clients
    3. women comes back and expects to be at the same level of achievement as the man......

this is why your argument fails.