Marble Blast Gold

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm sorry, but is this the single greatest game to have graced the Mac platform? I've only just found it (preinstalled on my iMac) and I'm seriously addicted! It's a little worrying.

By the way, has anyone managed to get even remotely close to the gold standard times in the advanced section? Either it's super hard or I really suck.

Off topic: I don't think I've ever made a sentence about something super hard and me sucking. We'll leave it there... ;)

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
mad jew said:
I'm sorry, but is this the single greatest game to have graced the Mac platform? I've only just found it (preinstalled on my iMac) and I'm seriously addicted! It's a little worrying.

By the way, has anyone managed to get even remotely close to the gold standard times in the advanced section? Either it's super hard or I really suck.

Off topic: I don't think I've ever made a sentence about something super hard and me sucking. We'll leave it there... ;)
yeah, that game rocks :)

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
For sure, I like to play it every once in a while.

I'm stuck on the tree level in advanced, I keep getting thrown by that launch thing and I can't land back on the tree.

Grrrrr

Soulstorm,

I'd say your computer has good enough specs to run that game.

:D

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Sharewaredemon said:
For sure, I like to play it every once in a while.

I'm stuck on the tree level in advanced, I keep getting thrown by that launch thing and I can't land back on the tree.

Grrrrr

Soulstorm,

I'd say your computer has good enough specs to run that game.

:D
Hm... Not quite. I want to purchase an X800XT to reach 500 fps... And a screen capable of showing them...

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I love Marble Bast Gold! It was on my iBook and then my g/f got a powerbook so I made sure to burn it to CD before I sold my iBook to get the powerbook back in the day (as in 6 months ago). I still play it from time to time and getting the gold times in advanced seems to be damn near impossible :eek: I can't even get through most of the levels in advanced mode... still I love that game. It is a great time killer in airports or at work ;)

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
im slowy becoming addicted, i play on my gf's iMac when i can, but does everyones fan get way loud when they play? If i stick my hand in the back of the machine it feels like a hot blow dryer. Does playing marble blast really demand that kind of cooling ?

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
tangerineyum said:
im slowy becoming addicted, i play on my gf's iMac when i can, but does everyones fan get way loud when they play? If i stick my hand in the back of the machine it feels like a hot blow dryer. Does playing marble blast really demand that kind of cooling ?
Yeah both my iBook and Powerbook would get very toasty when I would run Marble Blast... seemed more so than when I ran UT 2003 haha!

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Anyone playing Marble Blast Gold with an ATI card should get ahold of ATI Displays, if you haven't already, and turn on anisotropic filtering in 3D overrides. This game is an absolutely perfect example of what anisotopic filtering does and why it's a good thing...as you can plainly see in the attached pic.

--Eric

Attachments

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Eric5h5 said:
Anyone playing Marble Blast Gold with an ATI card should get ahold of ATI Displays, if you haven't already, and turn on anisotropic filtering in 3D overrides. This game is an absolutely perfect example of what anisotopic filtering does and why it's a good thing.
WOW. I had no idea that it made that much of a difference. That is quite an improvement in distant objects! Very cool and nice screenshots :)

ibookowner2

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
I know that this thread is a little bit old but I have a question. I recently beat all of the levels in this game and I still cannot do the custom part of the game, does anyone have any answers?

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
It's such a cool game! Although I rarely play it, my anti-Mac friend always asks for my iBook just to play with Marble Blast Gold! :D

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
i only got one gold time and it's in intermediate. i think it's the racing car track level which you have to get a lot of gems and use the booster a lot. for some reason, the gold time 43, I went all crazy and accidentally jumped really high and finished in 35 seconds. can't remember what i did, but the only 2 things i can remember: one, i am not always at ground level, :D, and second i wasen't always on the track. :p

ok. that aside, the ati driver rocks, however i don't know if performance has improved, and also, i hate the first level of advanced section! how are supposed to beat 30 seconds gold time when you have to be so careful? (it's the thrill ride level)

Marble Blast is a very good game. i hate nanosaur 2 though. if only if the controls for the mouse can be configured a bit more from inverted to normal First person view (unreal tournament) mouse settings, it would be a good game too! i just can't control that dinosaur with wings! (forgot it's name :p)

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
ibookowner2 said:
I know that this thread is a little bit old but I have a question. I recently beat all of the levels in this game and I still cannot do the custom part of the game, does anyone have any answers?
Well I haven't completed the game, but was also wondering what the custom part is for?? Someone please explain?!

::20ROGERSC::