March 2019 Apple Event: What to Expect

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Mar 12, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In an average year, Apple holds three to four events. There's usually a spring event in March, the Worldwide Developers Conference in June, a September event that's focused on iPhone and Apple Watch, and sometimes an October event if there are iPads or Macs expected in the fall.

In this guide, we're keeping track of all of the Apple events that are on the horizon and what we're expecting to see at each one, so make sure to check back in regularly.

[​IMG]

March 25 Event

Apple's first event of the year will take place on Monday, March 25. According to rumors, Apple plans to focus on services at this event, introducing both a new Apple News service and a TV service. Here's what we're expecting to see:

Apple News Service

Apple is working on a $9.99 per month subscription news service that would give Apple News users unlimited access to stories from paywalled sites like The Wall Street Journal. The service will also include a magazine element, similar to the service offered by Texture, the magazine app that Apple bought in 2018.

Not all news sites are on board (WaPo and NYT won't join) yet because Apple wants 50 percent of all subscription revenue, but magazine publishers are embracing Apple's plan. The news content and the magazines will all be accessible for a single subscription fee, thought to be $9.99 per month.

Streaming TV Service

Apple is also working on a streaming TV service that will include the more than two dozen TV shows and movies that it has in the works, along with access to subscription content from other cable providers.

Apple plans to allow its customers to sign up for services like Starz and Showtime right within the TV app, and the company could also provide channel bundles that aggregate content from multiple cable providers at a reduced price.

There's no word on what this service will cost, but Apple will introduce it at the March event before launching it later in the year, perhaps in summer or fall. Multiple celebrities like Jennifer Aniston, Steve Carell, and Jennifer Garner - who are starring in Apple's original television shows - have been invited to the event and are expected to attend.

iOS 12.2

The iOS 12.2 beta that's being tested right now already has hints of the Apple News service in it, and Apple is going to release the iOS 12.2 update right after the event takes place to give people access to the new Apple News subscription service.

Along with access to this subscription service, iOS 12.2 brings Apple News to Canada, offers new Animoji characters, includes HomeKit TV support for third-party TVs, and has dozens of other smaller tweaks and changes outlined in our iOS 12.2 tidbits post.

iOS 12.2 is also pre-installed on the new iPads that were just released, and the second-generation AirPods also require the update. Both of those products are shipping out to customers early next week.

Apple Pay

According to Bloomberg, Apple is planning to preview new Apple Pay features at its March 25 event that will lay the groundwork for an iPhone credit card partnership with Goldman Sachs. It's not entirely clear what new features Apple will announce, but there are updates to the design of the Wallet app in iOS 12.2 that Apple may be planning to highlight.

Rumors have suggested that the credit card that Apple is debuting in partnership with Goldman Sachs will have special features in the Wallet app unavailable to standard credit cards, such as budgeting tools, spending recommendations and limits, and more.

Hardware

We were expecting minor updates to a number of Apple products in the spring, which Apple started rolling out ahead of the March 25 event. So far, Apple has released an updated iPad mini, a new 10.5-inch iPad Air, refreshed iMacs, and AirPods 2. A seventh-generation iPod touch and the AirPower could still be coming sometime soon.

With Apple introducing hardware via press release ahead of the event, we aren't expecting to see any new hardware announcements at the event itself, but there's always the chance for a surprise.

Event Details

The March 25 event will take place at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time (1:00 p.m. Eastern Time) at the Steve Jobs Theater on the Apple Park campus. Apple plans to live stream the event on its website and through the Events app on the Apple TV. MacRumors will be covering the event here on MacRumors.com and through our MacRumorsLive Twitter account.

Article Link: March 2019 Apple Event: What to Expect

2. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Hah, even iOS devices are going to be relegated to the sidelines like the Mac in favor of the new hotness: boring services revenue. Please Apple, don't become a boring company. Leave that to Elon Musk.

3. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Apple promised a new Mac Pro this year.

Where is it?

4. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Best guess is the World Wide Developers Conference.

5. alexandr macrumors 6502

alexandr

i would really love it if they at least hinted about a new apple display... eh

6. Red Oak, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019

Red Oak macrumors regular

Intense navel gazing. Lineup of politically correct, no violence, no cursing, bland video content. iPad and iPad mini speed bumps. New iPod. News subscription service

Colorful Spring watch band collection

Very exciting stuff. Apple is firing on all cylinders

7. Greymacuser macrumors 6502

Greymacuser

Translation:
    Fluff.
    Fluff.
    Emojis.
    Reheated leftovers.

So nothing for professional computer users yet again.
    What a surprise.

Meanwhile, my new hackintosh is working like a powerhouse dream.

8. DonnaUGI macrumors newbie

DonnaUGI

I wish Apple would fix the Daylight Saving bug. Support hasn't bee able to make it stick. Guess they are too busy working on a emojis.

9. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Apple, the service company. This tells me they are on the short stick.

10. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Same here! I really wanted a new Mac Pro after owning a 2006 and 2009 Mac Pro but the processors and especially the GPUs in them were hot garbage. I can't believe that building your own computer for 1/4th the price would get you a better performing computer than a 'legit' Apple Mac computer.

The Hackintosh has easily been my favourite computer and one that's given me the most use. I've had it for 4 years now and I still don't have any plans to upgrade any time soon OTHER than the GPU (would love a GTX 1070 or something better, but my 980 is still more than adequate).

11. ChrisMoBro, Mar 12, 2019

ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

If it's anything like all their recent events, we can expect a lot of disappointment.

12. fumi2014 macrumors regular

Netflix clone - Boring. Newspaper & magazine subscription - Boring.
    I don't think I'll even bother watching it.

13. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Apple gives virtual reality a different meaning.

14. maxfromdenmark macrumors regular

maxfromdenmark

I wish to see any product that Steve Jobs would be proud of it.

15. millerlite macrumors regular

millerlite

It would've been nice to see a refresh of Apple TV at this event. Kind of a missed opportunity.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

We? You can speak for yourself, I always look forward to these types of events, because generally, we really never know what to expect, and any hardware is merely a bonus for an event that may not necessarily be solely focused on hardware like the fall keynote is. Try staying open minded, that way you don’t set yourself up for disappointment for something that’s not guaranteed.

17. AngerDanger, Mar 12, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I think it's pretty obvious what to expect! The "w" in the invite is alluding to a happy customer curled up, enjoying subscription-based television! Eye Twitch Crazy Smile Emoji.gif

ShowTimeInvite.gif

The event that hasn’t happened yet?

18. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

What?

How can you say that with a straight face on THIS website knowing that a plethora of articles written about the keynotes typically feature almost everything about them prior to.

19. pmore macrumors member

pmore

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There isn’t any hardware guaranteed to be launching in this event, we don’t know specifically what/when will launch regarding the AirPods, iPad mini, iPod, etc. There’s nothing slated to launch for this specific keynote, again, any hardware is merely a bonus, aside from services side of things for this keynote. Fall keynotes, we obviously can expect more hardware given their tradition.

21. imageWIS macrumors 65816

How DARE you question their COURAGE?!? The courage to rip off their clients! The courage to make less and less reliable hardware at more and more absurd prices! The courage to make 'Pro' products that are useless for actual working professionals! The courage to make each MacOS iteration that much worse than the previous one!

I ask again, How dare you question their courage?!?

22. NOV macrumors 6502

NOV

Maybe better directly go to 14.

23. pmore macrumors member

pmore

Why's that? I hope it will be less bloated.

24. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

If AAPL was being run by an Average Joe, AAPL would focus on ONE thing & ONE thing ONLY for it's Video Steaming Service ... High-Bit-Rate 1080p "Live Sports" !

AND, that Average Joe's "strategy" would generate more Excitement & Enthusiasm than any "copy-cat" service AAPL will announce on March 25th !

25. PotatoLeekSoup macrumors regular

Subscribe to paywalls for social justice WaPo and NYT?

Hard nooo...